thinking about building my first pc, help needed

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by tim68, Mar 13, 2013.

1. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    note for mods, please delete thread if against forum rules.

hi all. im pretty much decided to get a new pc or apple as i dont need a huge desktop for my basic use anymore but would like a ballpark figure on what old pc might be worth if i put an add in the clasifieds.

its a 3 year old dell studio xps, pretty much stock parts when bought at the time, except for a couple of bits i added myself

stock maplins 2tb hard drive (original drive failed)
    hd dvd/blu-ray reader/writer
    windows 7 upgrade disc (home premium)

and the rest that came with purchase

1st gen I7 cpu 920 @2.67GHz
    6 gig of ram
    radeon hd 4600 series card
    windows vista

thanks very much

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  2. paulktreg

paulktreg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    The i7 920 is still a very capable processor so if basic use is all you need then stick with what you've got?

3. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    thanks Paul.

its a big desktop and i wanted something a bit smaller. i am looking at replacing it with a mac mini or an all in one system.

4. dacads

dacads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    About £200 my powers of estimating would say

5. LJx

LJx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    More than that because of the CPU, 2TB Windows 7

6. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    thanks for the replys gents. I guess you get lots of threads about this lol

but now i am thinking of having a go at building a pc to try out gaming. I can grab the hdd and blu-ray drive out of the current pc. for a start I will just stick to a single screen (dont have the space for twin and triple screen gaming) and 1080 res will be fine. cant call myself a hard core gamer anyway, so a mid range pc will be fine for me, but will need a new monitor later. budget will be £750 but if i can buld cheaper thats all the better, oh and a single gpu will be fine also. not fussed on overclocking either. so on to the parts now i guess lol.

Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (from reviews i have read at amazon the stock cooler/heatsink will be fine if your not overclocking)

Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Module Kit

amd 7950 or a gtx660TI

uncertain on the other parts i need like a psu, maybe a ssd and a graphics card if you have any suggestions

as for a case, looking through amazon, they look ugly as hell to me, maybe this case "Corsair Carbide 500R". i dont want a fancy looking case with Leds all over it. something minimal.

as said earlier this will be my first attempt at my own build so if you can be as patient as you can with me that would be great. appologies for the long post and thanks for taking the time to read :thumbsup:.

Regards

Tim

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  7. tim68

tim68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    changed thread title as not confuse with original question

8. NooBish AbbZ 92

NooBish AbbZ 92
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,792
    Hi Tim, we're in the same boat I think, both wanting to build a mid-range gaming PC as our first build :smashin:
    Here's my thread :p http://www.avforums.com/forums/desktops/1753398-looking-build-my-first-computer.html

So far I think I'm going to go with 16Gb RAM, an I3 processor, not sure on other components yet:p Hope yours works out well :thumbsup:

I found someone on youtube called 'Duncan30333' who does a lot of videos on PC builds which I;ve been looking at for the components I'm going to use

9. gandalf81

gandalf81
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, just a tip from a beginner... if i were you id keep the i7 920. I have one too (DO version) and theey are pretty good chips, from what I read areound the web they can still ahndle about anything thrown at them. I bought a used acer predator g7711, slowly im upgrading, as for now i changed my mobo, bought a used asus gene II (dont have any money, lol) and bought some patriot viper II sector 5 2400mhz ram that will handle OCing well. today I did my first OC ever and got my i7 running stable at 3.8ghz. so if you wanna save some money dont buy a new chip, just buy a decent mobo a graphics card and some new RAM. Idk if you need a PSU, case screen etc... but Im pretty sure that you will be able to get a good setup for not too much money... like i said i have a asus gene II, i7 920 oc to 3.8ghz, asus gtx 560, 8gb Ram patriot viper II sector 5, and a 1000w power supply (over kill, it came stock on the predator, why change if it works) and I can run bf3 on high without problems, it will run on ultra but fps will be in mid 20s during action... next upgrade new graphics card :)...

10. spyder viewer

spyder viewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,285
    Welcome to AVforums!