1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a projector (newbie)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jrwood, Aug 15, 2001.

1. jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi all,

Currently looking at 32-40" TV's however I`m thinking of perhaps jumping for the big one and going for a projector. If anyone has any good tips/websites to look at for a novice, although I have read a lot the last week on projectors. Would it be better to perhaps get a second hand one as I`m on a limited budget. I plan to hook it up to a PC too which can act as a dscaler.

I have two rooms which I could put it in, one is upstairs and fairly big while the other one is adjacent to the lounge downstairs with the main tv (which is probably a better place for it?). Anyway the room adjacent to the lounge is about 8 foot by 8 foot, would this be big enough?. I gather I could have about a 6-7 foot wide screen but was wondering how far the projector has to be from the screen (ideally I wouuld want to tuck it behind the archway from the lounge>spare box room.

Also does anyone know of a good place to see/buy a projector in the Birmingham area (UK) ?<br />Thanks

p.s my memories of projectors from the past were very bad fuzzy / slow screens!.
  2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Screens Uk are in sutton coldfield, click above.

And why not contact Roland Brooks (B4) if you fancy a used CRT.

Or why not Get a demo of The Sony 10ht if LCD is the more wife acceptable route. It has a very short throw and of course the 16:9 panel.