1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about a new LCD - Relysis or should I wait a bit?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by dbeamish, Apr 27, 2005.

1. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hi all!! :)

I'm moving house soon (erm so if I don't reply its because my PC is in a box and I'm awaiting ADSL activiation) and in "my room" I'm thinking of putting a 32" LCD in there for TV and a few DVDs/games, and then adding a projector at a later date (haven't decided which yet).

Therefore I was thinking a 32" might suffice since its not going to be for a cinematic experience so I'm telling myself I don't want a 42" monster. The Relisys seems to have had pretty good write ups here especially for the price, and since it supports HDMI/HDCP and HD then for me that sounds pretty future proof (although I'm not sure if it supports a 50Hz signal? - I think it does though).

In that price range it really does seem to be a 1 horse race.. however if I had cash to the budget what happens.. is a 1500 LCD really 1/3 better than a 1000 quid set? Is a 2000 quid set twice as good? I assume not - but how much better are the more expensive sets?

I probably wouldn't be buying for a month anyway so then should I wait longer for something else or not?

Look forward to your comments.. LCD tvs are something I don't really have much experience with.

thanks
    Dave

2. Starfish_001

Starfish_001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Hitachi 32LD7200 is £1200 I would take at look at this.

I considered the Relsisys but decided against it in favour of the above

3. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks Starfish_001 - why did you decide that in the end? Just a better brand?

4. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38

I second that. I've had mine for a few days and think it's fantastic. I considered the Relisys too, but I currently have a Relisys 1720 bought cheap as a monitor for my PC and video and build quality is rubbish. That put me off the brand, to be honest.

I've sat and stared at many LCDs in various shops over the last few months, and the Hitachi is by far the best picture I've seen, and excellent value considering the features and price.

matt

5. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks matt - does it support 50 and 60Hz signals?
    (i think sky will require hdcp and 50Hz when it launches)

ta
    D

6. matt_p

matt_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    yep, it does

7. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    thanks matt_p - much apprecaited!

it does look aesthetically nicer than the relisys i think. hmm.. options :)

8. Starfish_001

Starfish_001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dbeamish

PQ, Connectivity (I wanted PC connection at native res possible via Dsub) Style, and Brand were my main reasons.

I spoke to a couple of Relisys dealers and they mentioned hight return rates that made me a bit weary. I also considered the Sharp 32GD1 at £2500 but ...

The spec for the Hitachi and the price were so good that I jumped very quickly

9. WSB

WSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just gone for the Relisys myself as the reviews were very positive and when i saw it in person I was impressed with it compared to other lcd's in the price range.

I ordered from Novatech and cost me around 980. Its still awaiting stock (ordered on monday) so when I get it I will let you know just how good it really is.

Its use is pretty much the same as what you want it for-
    hook up to PC, xbox, dvd player. My dvd player is one of those sony jobs with a surround sound system built in and its gonna come in handy as the only real gripe i had was the speakers on the relisys which arent the best (they are ok but just doesnt give you the clear defined sound at higher volumes)

10. dbeamish

dbeamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks again guys!

we'll I'll certainly need something soon. its a 250 quid difference for the hitachi it seems, but i think it might be a bit prettier..

I like the sound of the native res for PC connectivity on the hitachi tho. sounds good.

11. Italights

Italights

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got the Relisys rlt3200 after looking at the whole gamut of £1000ish lcd tvs and it is definitely the most solidly built I have come across. apart from the speakers the monitor itself has no plastic at all. The front is brushed aluminium and the back is steel I think. Almost all the other tvs I saw where plastic and pretty cheap looking plastic. try and get to see one because they look lovely in the flesh. Picture is good too. Built in Holland. Check the other Relisys thread

12. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I was in the same boat too untill yesterday. The Relisys and the Hitachi were both at the top of my list. The relisys does look rather nice from pictures etc, and can only look better in the flesh. It also has all the right connections for HD etc, and people on here have had good things to say about the picture. It also supports 1:1 PC connectivity via dvi with less fiddling than the Hitachi i believe.

But after all that, i went for the Hitachi. I prefer the black glossy look of the Hitachi over the alu finish although theres not alot in it tbh. The hitachi also has slightly better connectivity having an extra digital input, and a remote motorised base. (Granted, something you would never use after the 1st 5 minutes)

But the recent magazine reviews have praised the Hitachi to death, not to mention the people who actually own them on here. (Much more important than magazine reviews imho) Brand familiarity (sp?) probably also played a part too.
    Ill find out if i made the right choice tomorrow with abit of luck.

13. Italights

Italights

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you ordered the Hitachi or actually received it? How did you find a place with stock? I was trying to get a look at one and nobody had any in stock. All theplaces I rang were very wooly about when it was coming in.

14. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ordered it late yesterday, should be here tomorrow. After ringing around a load of places i found it in stock at http://www.discounttv.co.uk/ , but a person over in the Hitachi thread has just bagged the last one by the looks of it.