Thinking about a NAS

rccarguy2

Both of NAS boxes are powered off every night and back on the next morning.
I wouldn't do that, if you are using it next day leave it on.

If not using for a week or more switch it off

Bolosun

Been doing this for about 10 years with the various NAS boxes I have had. Never had an issue and the power consumption when switched off is 0. ;)

D

Deleted member 24354

Havent checked in a while but it did used to say on the Synology DSM help pages that leaving your NAS on prolongs HDD life.

Ultimately it really doesnt matter whether you leave them on and hibernate them or turn them off, its more down to convenience. I know my 214s take about 4 - 5 minutes to boot from cold and re-index the HDDs, whereas wake from sleep is about 15s. I like the convenience of being able to access my data whenever I need it. Pre-covid I travelled a lot globally and was regularly in different time zones so I need to be able to access my NAS's at 3am GMT.

I know people who use their NAS's to run backups overnight or run torrents so they want them on at these times. There is no right or wrong way to use them, there is only how you want to use them. So there is little point in arguing, what works for me, might not work for you. yes there is increased (but still very low) risk of blowing the PSU from repeatedly cycling it as they are actually designed to be constantly on, but I am sure that people who choose to regularly power cycle take this into consideration and offset it against the cost of always being on.

Here is the Maths Bit...
The cost of running a NAS (DS 718 Plus with 2 x HDDs) for a year always on is around £40, (constant 20w draw plus 5w per HDD - this data is from Synology) using an electricity cost of 15p per kWh

The cost of running a NAS 16 hours per day and powering it off for 8 hours at night is around £30, so its an annual saving of £10per annum.

BUT, if you put the NAS into hibernation for those 8 hours the annual cost of electricity for hibernation is £2.20. (Synology uses 5Watts total in hibernation, HDDS use nothing as they are powered down) - this will provide a cost saving of £7.80 per annum

So the actual cost benefit of turning your NAS off at night vs hibernating it is £2.20 annual saving

For me, I will pay the additional £2.20 per year to have my NAS on 24/7 compared to the hassle of turning it on and off every night.

The component most likely to be stressed and fail (and they do fail) is the PSU as they are designed as an always on component. Replacement Synology PSUs start at around £60.

springtide

Distinguished Member
Havent checked in a while but it did used to say on the Synology DSM help pages that leaving your NAS on prolongs HDD life.

Ultimately it really doesnt matter whether you leave them on and hibernate them or turn them off, its more down to convenience. I know my 214s take about 4 - 5 minutes to boot from cold and re-index the HDDs, whereas wake from sleep is about 15s. I like the convenience of being able to access my data whenever I need it. Pre-covid I travelled a lot globally and was regularly in different time zones so I need to be able to access my NAS's at 3am GMT.

I know people who use their NAS's to run backups overnight or run torrents so they want them on at these times. There is no right or wrong way to use them, there is only how you want to use them. So there is little point in arguing, what works for me, might not work for you. yes there is increased (but still very low) risk of blowing the PSU from repeatedly cycling it as they are actually designed to be constantly on, but I am sure that people who choose to regularly power cycle take this into consideration and offset it against the cost of always being on.

Here is the Maths Bit...
The cost of running a NAS (DS 718 Plus with 2 x HDDs) for a year always on is around £40, (constant 20w draw plus 5w per HDD - this data is from Synology) using an electricity cost of 15p per kWh

The cost of running a NAS 16 hours per day and powering it off for 8 hours at night is around £30, so its an annual saving of £10per annum.

BUT, if you put the NAS into hibernation for those 8 hours the annual cost of electricity for hibernation is £2.20. (Synology uses 5Watts total in hibernation, HDDS use nothing as they are powered down) - this will provide a cost saving of £7.80 per annum

So the actual cost benefit of turning your NAS off at night vs hibernating it is £2.20 annual saving

For me, I will pay the additional £2.20 per year to have my NAS on 24/7 compared to the hassle of turning it on and off every night.

The component most likely to be stressed and fail (and they do fail) is the PSU as they are designed as an always on component. Replacement Synology PSUs start at around £60.

Regarding powering off or leaving on, it doesn’t really make a hoot of difference for these small consumer devices, you can’t apply enterprise rules.. it’s not like it has to power up monster CPUs with 100s of drives.

For me in terms of cost, I have a DS1821 which uses 60 watts (services mean HDDs don’t hibernate) and a G7 microserver which uses about the same power (for backups)

Not that I always power off the Synology (but I do the G7), running costs could be around £60 a year rather than £160, so a saving of £100 a year.

The G7 is still going strong after 11 years.

rccarguy2

Regarding powering off or leaving on, it doesn’t really make a hoot of difference for these small consumer devices, you can’t apply enterprise rules.. it’s not like it has to power up monster CPUs with 100s of drives.

For me in terms of cost, I have a DS1821 which uses 60 watts (services mean HDDs don’t hibernate) and a G7 microserver which uses about the same power (for backups)

Not that I always power off the Synology (but I do the G7), running costs could be £60 rather than £160, so a saving of more like £100 a year.

The G7 is still going strong after 11 years.

I don't think the hd shut off as much at it could, maybe if you use a SSD for the drive you initially install Synology os it may...also fans not exactly whisper quiet. If I have my ds418 on in my bedroom you couldn't get to sleep.

oneman

I don't think the hd shut off as much at it could, maybe if you use a SSD for the drive you initially install Synology os it may...also fans not exactly whisper quiet. If I have my ds418 on in my bedroom you couldn't get to sleep.
Does DS418 not spin down the fans unless needed ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom