1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinkin of upgrading amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by manhar, Aug 28, 2004.

1. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My integrated amp is a Pioneer A 400 about 12 years old. Cost me £ 250 at the time. Will upgrading to a newer amp within £500 give me a vastly improved sound or should I stick with this? My son says amps havent changed all that much within a given price range and that I may be disappointed with an upgrade.

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Even though I have no experience of the A 400, I'd guess your son is correct.

3. RichardG

RichardG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Absolutely not! Keep hold of it! Head over to the Hifi Choice Forums for reasons why this amp is STILL a giant killer. If you really want improvements, don't change it, but get Tom Evans to modify it and wipe the smiles off the faces of all the Naim lovers out there!

And no I don't have one myself before anyone gets their fanboy gloves off. But I do have fully Evans'ed A300 Precision so I am a LITTLE bit biased! ;)

I use it to drive the front two speakers (B&WCDM9NT) with Pioneer 2011 processing and drive the centre and rears (and it's all lovely!)

Good luck with Mr Evans, you won't regret it!

Rich

4. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks for your reassurances folks.
    RichardG please tell me how to get to Tony Evans.

5. RichardG

RichardG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
  6. Chrisp7091

Chrisp7091

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My recent experience of new hi-fi prejudices my point of view, but what I've found is that, extra features aside, very little has changed in the last couple of decades when it comes to amplifiers. I realise that new developments in home theatre processing have brought benefits - this is just a comment based on my experience of 5.1 DD sound and stereo sound reproduction.

My system isn't exactly set up in an ideal spot, but at least in stereo, I've found my 17 year old Mission Cyrus 2 gives me a better sound than some of the latest exotica out there. Likewise, my ageing Yamaha amp seems to give me a more appealing sound with movies than some quite expensive modern kit.

Whatever you do, a home demo, if you can arrange one, is certain to help you make an informed choice. Its certainly easy to waste a lot of money on equipment that will actually give you a less enjoyable sound. If you like what you've got, stick with it!!.

7. manhar

manhar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Chrisp, this is exactly what I feared. Spend a lot of money and find things are no better if not worse!
    It is suprising that stereo integrated amplifier technology has not advanced over the last 10 years to produce better sound.
    Yup I'll stick to my A400!

8. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    An alternative is to look at either ex demo or second hand amps. For £500 you might be able to pick up some bargains.

The easy way to find out if things have improved is to arrange for a (home) demo.

If your handy with a soldering iron, there are a number of valve kits which would be a huge step up from your A400.

A lot also depends on what the rest of the system is.