Think Tank

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Ian Cox, May 7, 2003.

1. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the new album by Blur the other day and I have now listened to it a few times and have to say what a great album it is. OK it is not like the Blur of old but they have not been like that for a few years now. On first listen I thought it was a bit of a nothing album but on a second listen you start picking up the very subtle hooks that are in the songs and after listen number three you just can not get it out of your CD player. The stand out song is probably the single that has just come out, Out Of Time which is one of Blur's best ever songs IMO.

If you like guitar music this is not for you as most of the songs have more of a chilled out dance mood with a African theme going on (half of the album was recorded in Morocco) but it seems to work even though I am sure many people will say this album is depressing. But if you do get it give it a chance as it is a definite grower and is one of the best Albums of the year so far.

8.5/10 :smashin:

2. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Had this a couple of months now and I have to agree.

Personally, I found '13' disappointing and I wouldn't have gone out of my way to check this out but, thanks to the P2P network, I picked up the pre-release and I think, now, it could well be my favourite Blur album.

What I think is most surprising is that if Coxon had still been in the band, I would have said it had his influence stamped all over it. It's has a lo-fi quality without sounding lo-fi (huh ?) and there's a lot of Pavement in there (to these ears) mixed up with some subtle rhythms.

Admittedly, the spikey guitar's all but disappeared but it's a definite progression ; even a giant step forward.

One for Summer evenings when you get tired of Calexico.

...And I'd agree with the 8.5/10

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine arrived yesterday. Haven't listed to it yet, but really like the packaging of the Ltd Edition. It's a red book and the CD sits in a sleeve in the back :smashin:

4. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats the one I have got as well. It looks really cool but I just hope the CD does not get scratched taking it in out of the sleeve as it is a tight fit.

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did and didn't like the album.

Musicall it was sound and I appreciated the album for being a cut above the usual 'mass market' stuff out there.

But (maybe I'm alone here), I found myself sometimes getting Impatient with the music. As if it too long to set up a song - which sometimes gave the album a repetitive feel.

But that's a minor quibble for such a great band. Hope they keep up the good work.