1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

think my computer is insane ! (50, 60 Hz prob's)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kopite4Ever, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    ok so i watched swordfish through last night at my settings and it played fine. was at 50Hz in nvidia panel. now i came to watch the matrix before and stutter appeared yet again :mad: put swordfish back on and stutter was there. after throwing the PJ remote at my screen i decided to play again. some how got to changing it to 60Hz. played through swordfish again and no stutter what so ever. its all PAL material im watching R2 stuff so what the hell is going on ? is there some silly things that happen or is my pc a screwball. ive a dedicated OS for this TT and FFDShow as well so i havnt a clue whats going on !!

2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    BauerCTU,

Your problem certainly sounds frustrating. From my last few years experience using HTPC's I have not had a similar problem to this. All I can say is that maybe your graphics card is not happy doing 50hz? Are you using powerstrip to set the refresh rate? If not, I suggest you give it a try.

One other point I will make is that I am not sure how suited Nvidia cards are for use in HTPC's. I have always used radeon cards with no trouble at all. Something to consider.

Rob

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    no im not using powerstrip at the moment just setting the res and refresh using nvidia panel. ive not noticed a difference in PQ using 50 or 60 hz so im not losing anything i think. im in the proccess of thinking about trading in my 6800GT and getting a x800 or x850

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Problems with stuttering in spite of very careful setting of refresh rates etc. are what's driven me to abandon the PC as my prime method of playing DVDs. I've seen what you report, a once-happy system suddenly one day decides to start glitching and then it's back to twiddling and tweaking.

6. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    unforntinatly im stuck with the HTPC route at the moment as i cant afford a dvd player. dont get me wrong the picture quality like you probably know can be stunning. but is it worth all this hassle. funny enough i installed a copy of PowerDVD i got with my mobo and to my suprise its actually given me a very stable decent picture. only tested this with one dvd but it looked fine. not as many options to fiddle with but it wasnt as bad as id expected. plus cpu usage is at about 20%. will play again later when its dark and can see if there is a difference in TT and PowerDVD

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    PowerDVD seems to be a lot more popular than it was, version 6 seems to be a big improvement from what I read.

Yes, the PQ from an HTPC is stunning and it'll be interesting for me to see how well a standalone scaler can do processing raw 576i digital out of a Pioneer 868 .. given the cost I expect something decent. ;)

8. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    to right id expect results from the 868. think i read that zandy1 prefered his pc over his 868 and he isnt using TT i think he is using MCE2005 but dont quote me on that. seems like the software just differs from system to system. im tempted to get my sony laptop out format it and run vga to my PJ to see how it goes. but it means going out and getting a new battery and i wouldnt use it for anything else :D im home now and want to mess with the PJ and DVD Software but daytime means i cant see everything. roll on 6pm

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Andy had an 868 feeding a Lumagen, the difference is I can feed digital all the way, something the scaler couldn't do when Andy had one. It'll not be a 'night and day difference', my first quick play last night showed that.

One big problem with the PC approach is that there's no single solution, you needs numerous bits and pieces all working happily together and that's what's so fragile about it as a platform.

10. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    tempted to try the Zoomplayer > Sonic DVD > FFDShow way. i know some one who can lend me Zoomplayer to have a try with. wonder if this will at least equal TT and give some stable performance even though FFDShow is doing the work. its worth a shot.

11. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    TT has no bearing on PQ as far as I can see, I've played with ZP as an alternative player both with the old Sonic codecs and then those from Nvidia.

12. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Without wanting to go OT, I will say that my HTPC has been 100% reliable for DVD playing, music serving and Tv scaling for about 4 months now. I think that the main reason for this is that the PC is not used for anything other than HTPC duties. Saying that, my last HTPC was for combined use, and that was also fine.....hmm maybe I am just great. LOL (joke)

Rob

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    well i have an independant OS for playing DVD's and storing media etc and it dosnt get touched unless im watching a film. so it really cant be that. its seems to be getting more steady and im finally having some movie time. watched daredevil last night and apart from the noise in the background on some occasions which i expect as its not the best encoded DVD it was watchable.