Question Think I've worked out a system, but was hoping for some of your valuable input!

mateoboom

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Firstly, apologies if this kind of thing has been asked a million times before, which I'm sure it has! And apologies if I'm breaking any forum rules/etiquette.

I told my friend I was wanting to get back into vinyl and was looking at setting up a basic system. He recommended this forum for ideas and recommendations, so after looking through a few threads and bits and bobs I think I've put together a decent lower level setup. Before I pull the trigger on it all I just wanted everyones opinions if you would be so kind. I'm starting from scratch so am in need of:

Turntable
Amp
Speakers
Any other bits and bobs I may not have taken into account, which is very possible!

Turntable:
Project Debut Carbon ( DC ) Turntable inc. Cartridge, Lid, PreAmp & Cables
Project Debut Carbon ( DC ) Turntable inc. Cartridge, Lid, PreAmp & Cables | Vickers HiFi

Amp:
YAMAHA A-S501
Yamaha A-S501 Amplifier from HiFix

Speakers:
Dali Zensor 1
Dali Zensor 1 Bookshelf Speakers Nintronics.co.uk

So, what does everyone think? A decent setup for the amount spent, which will be around £750? I don't really want to spend much more than this, but could up the budget a wee bit if anyone thought it would make a great difference.

Thanks for all your time and any recommendations you may pass my way :)

I've got the Essential II, Denon PMA-520 and the Zensors...sounds amazing to my ears. I picked up the Dalis from Exceptional AV as open box for £149 and invested in some decent quality cable and banana plugs too. Can't comment about the amp but definitely recommend the Project turntable and Dalis.

Does that amp have a phono stage? You'll need one for a turntable.

Does that amp have a phono stage? You'll need one for a turntable.
Yes

Capture.JPG

You don't need the PHONO Pre-Amp as the Yamaha already has one built it. In that case, you can save about £25 on the turntable. Though for £350, with better cables and an external Phono Pre-Amp, the Vicker's deal is pretty good.

The Project Phono Box E is worth about £40, and the upgraded cables are probably worth about £10 to £15. So, indeed a good deal.

Project Debut Carbon Turntable With Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge - Superfi

The Yamaha AS501 (85w/, DAC) is a good amp at a good price with very decent power. However, if you shop around, you might find a better price -

Yamaha AS501 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

That saves you about £50.

Though that savings is not quite enough to move up to the Dali Zensor 3 which has a 7" Bass driver, but it might be enough to take up up to the larger 6.5" Wharfedale Diamond 225 or the larger 6.5" Monitor Audio Bronze 2.

Dali Zensor 3 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 225 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 225 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Those would be better choices unless something is limiting your available space to place the speakers. For example, they might be on a computer desktop.

If you need smaller speakers, then the Zensor 1, Diamond 220, or Bronze 1 would be the preferred choices -

Dali Zensor 1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 220 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Monitor Audio Bronze 1 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

There is no combination among these that is not a good choice. And given the low price on the Yamaha amp which retails for £380, you should come up with a very good system. The Zensor are very well balanced speakers, but the Diamond or the Bronze might have a bit more prominent bass. Really it is just a matter of taste, nothing wrong with the Zensor 1, and the Zensor 1 might even have an advantage in a tight space. The Dali Zensor 1 are a Stereophile Magazine Recommended Speaker (2014, 2015, 2016).

DALI Zensor 1 loudspeaker

Stereophile Dali Zensor 1 Review -

"In the Zensor 1, DALI has produced an astoundingly realistic loudspeaker for its size and price. The Zensor 1's flaws are minimal, and its strengths compete with bookshelf speakers costing twice as much, or more. I'm astounded at how so minuscule a speaker can create such a big sound over such a broad range of music. This attractive little baby sets a new benchmark in its class that will be tough to beat. Well done!"

Also, just noticed that NINTronics has the Zensor 1 for only £155/pr which is a real bargain, that that pushes the decision strongly in that direction. But ultimately the choice is up to you and your budget. Real bargain on those speaker though, I can't think of anything that will touch them for that price.

The push for the Diamond 225 or the Bronze 2 is for larger speakers with larger bass drivers and deeper bass. You have to weigh cost vs benefit to decide if the extra money is worth it to you.

Overall, a good system, with nothing to complain about. I'm just offering some alternatives.

Steve/bluewizard

Wise words from the Wizard there. I was thinking also that if you could stretch the buget a little bit the Zensor 3s would be a wortwhile investment. That's what I would be very tempted to do. :)

The DALI Zensor 3 with 7" bass drive is good, but at £320/pr it is more expensive than the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 (£280/pr) or the Wharfedale Diamond 225 (£240/pr).

They are all good, but the Bronze and the Diamonds would save you some money.

Since you won't really need the cable upgrade with the Turntable or the Phono Pre-Amp, you can save a bit by just getting the turntable which will come with cables.

Project Carbon Debut Turntable with Ortofon 2M Cartridge - £325 -

Project Debut Carbon Turntable With Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge - Superfi

So, if we go with the lowest cost option all around, then -

£250/ea = Yamaha AS501 w/ DAC & Phono
£325/pr = Project Debut Carbon Turntable
£250/pr = Diamond 255 speakers
------------------------------------------
£825 = Total

You spend £50 more to get larger speakers, but you save £75 on the Turntable and Amp. So, you ahead by a net £25.

That said, absolutely nothing wrong with your system as you originally laid it out. Good speakers, high powered amp, very good turntable.

£300/ea = Yamaha AS501
£350/ea = Project Debut Carbon with Pre-Amp and Cable upgrade
£200/pr = Dali Zensor 1 speakers
---------------------------------------
£850 = Total

Upgrading to the Dali Zensor 3 would add £120 to the cost for a total of £970.

There is no bad system here, they are all going to sound good, it is just a matter of working out your priorities and your available space.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom