1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think im deaf?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by abnett26247, Feb 7, 2005.

1. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried some silver qed on the front three tannoy R2 matching centre and found no difference between that and my old 79 strand exept the qed 79 strand has more bass and the silver stuff sounds thin and not so good in stereo or for 5.1 film stuff. ive had it now for 4 weeks so its had plenty of time to burn in , so im changing back to my old 79 strand, am i deaf or is this cable stuff like some say a big dealer con ie the silver aniversery cost 5 times as much and its so bright and thin ugh, what a waste of my money so all beware imho. :confused:

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Yes, hard lesson learnt there. I'd sell it on ebay if I were you. Cable burn in is also a bit of a myth. What's to burn in????
    If you want something a little different that won't cost the earth then look to some of the DIY projects mentioned on this forum.

3. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

4. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    abnett2624

You're obviously not deaf as you heard a difference, even if you consider it for the worse! I described my system to a dealer when I was looking for speaker leads and was recommended the Chord Carnival Silver against the QED because this was a better sonic match – the dealer sold both and both are the same price.

As to cable burn-in depends on the cable. I've just installed a JPS phono lead and after three days the sound has changed considerably and all for the better. It's so good I'm thinking of using JPS cables throughout my system.

Paul

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just to reiterate here. All you need is good quality cable, well soldered, well terminated and of the correct type for the job. You can make this yourself or you can buy it.
    Once people have gone down the DIY route you don't tend to look back. It takes a lot to admit that you've spent a small fortune on something that's no better (In reality) to mains flex.
    We've all been there.....