Think I have almost decided, help with the final decision

Nabs

Novice Member
Right I think I have almost decided now, the toss up was pch A210, and Dunes however I think I will go with one of the Dunes as then can decode the HD DTS/DD streams to LPCM for me to pass through to my AVR300 (I do not have any spare analogue inputs as will be using an Octava 7:1 matrix to pass the lpcm from hdmi to my avr, the other analogue inputs on the octava taken up with the analogue outputs from my DV139 for SACD).

I was thinking about the Dune Base 3.0 or Dune HD smart D1 although I am not sure what the difference is.

(The spec sheets do seem to suggest that the DUNE Base ethernet controller may be able to experimentally take 1000 ethernet but the smart does not say such but I am not sure. I will be using it for HD video and reading comments here it does seem this is possible via 100 anyway but the last thing I wish is suttering playback when coming from my nas. (CAT 6 network)).

help please

MarkE19

Full HD BD rips stream perfectly ok over a 100mbps LAN, so no need to worry about gigabit LAN. The experimental gigabit is not worth trying as it tends to cause more issues than it is worth - it is always off on my Prime and my rips all stream without any stuttering.
Base vs Smart is really down to which you prefer the looks of, and what connectivity you need. Other than the case and a few different connections they are basically the same - although I believe all the Smart players downmix to stereo when decoding HD audio even though not stated in the specs of the D1, but is for the H1 & B1 and as they use the same motherboard & firmware I would expect all Smart units to do the same thing.

Smart H1 specs (same for B1):
HD audio support: pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) and decoding (stereo downmix) of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) of multichannel LPCM audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), decoding (up to 7.1 channels) of FLAC audiotracks (MKV, external)
but for Smart D1 it states:
HD audio support: pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) and decoding (up to 7.1 channels) of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD MA audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), pass-through (up to 7.1 channels) of multichannel LPCM audiotracks (Blu-ray, TS, MKV), decoding (up to 7.1 channels) of FLAC audiotracks (MKV, external)
Mark.

Nabs

Novice Member
looks do not matter to me so I guess then it is the cheapest!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom