• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

think i got caught speeding last night

njdbaxter

I think I was caught speeding last night driving home from work at around 1am :(. Turned round a bend and noticed 3 police officers dressed all in black hiding at the side of a bus shelter, one hold a radar gun. i think i was possibly going 35-38 max in a 30 zone before i spotted them. I slowed down once I saw them but im not sure if i was quick enough as they were camped a few hundred metres past the bend :mad:.

just hoping that they were slow on raising the gun and capturing the speed as at that time of night very few cars go down that road and i cant see the officers holding the gun up in anticipation of a car coming round the bend. fingers and toes cross :facepalm:. They didnt indicate to pull me over and i didnt see any other patrol car further down. I heard that if the road is not busy they would pull you over if they caught you speeding, is that right

is it true that speed indicators in cars are not accurate and can be off by 3-6mph?

what annoys me the most is that the road layout is basically a 2 lane high way with access to housing at one side, and yet is a 30 mph zone (should be higher), which everyone ignores during the day/evening. So why arent the police out monitoring the speed at that time when there are more people/cars on the road and greater risk of an accident, instead of monitoring it at 1-3am when the place is deserted?

I have only had my licence for 8 months now. How likely is it that i got caught and how will 3 points affect insurance?

i think they should educate people who are caught just slightly over the speed limit, especially if its there first offence, and send then to some sort of speed awareness seminar instead of giving points, think it would be more beneficial.

nickp8

You broke the speed limit and may have got caught? What do you want to be educated / taught about how not to break the speed limit or how to speed without getting caught? :rolleyes:

A total of six or more penalty points during first 2 years of your license and you have to retake the test. The 3 points will likely increase your insurance.

Last edited:

njdbaxter

You broke the speed limit and may have got caught? What do you want to be educated / taught about how not to break the speed limit or how to speed without getting caught? :rolleyes:

ha ha, yeah, it happens is Some places in the UK :D

I travel that road all the time and during the day most cars are 40+ on it, yet not a speed camera in sight. they tend to only come out on that road after midnight :confused:

but i didnt mean to speed, you know what its like, that time of night, travelling home from work, no other cars on the road, just got a bit heavy footed, thats all

Last edited:

GaryB

Distinguished Member
i think they should educate people who are caught just slightly over the speed limit, especially if its there first offence, and send then to some sort of speed awareness seminar instead of giving points, think it would be more beneficial.

They do in many areas. I know a few people that have been to them.

If it was a small handheld radar gun, they would normally have to stop you to issue the ticket. The larger kit that's usually mounted in the back of a van can record your details automatically and the first you know is the surprise in the post.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
is it true that speed indicators in cars are not accurate and can be off by 3-6mph?

Yes it is. I think they're supposed to be within 5% and it's always fast so you can't sue the maker for getting done for speeding when the speedo says you're doing the proper speed.

I very much doubt they were doing speed checks at 1am purely with the aim of nicking speeders. Much more likely that it's an excuse to be on the lookout for drink/drug drivers.

Let's say your speedo was 3mph fast (not unreasonable in my experience).
So you might have been doing 35mph max.
It'd be a harsh police force that has guidelines that will nick you for that speed at that time of night, imo (each force has it's own guidelines, well at least used to).

My money says you'll be ok, but of course it should be a lesson for you.

Not that I can talk.
I always drive 10mph above the limit on open roads :oops:
But I've never been done for speeding in 30 years.
Just lucky, I guess.

eric pisch

Distinguished Member
i thought if it was just a hand held device they stopped you to give you a ticket

the vans don't stop you since they have video recording equipment

i would not suggest getting one of those front parking devices that accidental can sometimes interfere with laser detectors

i certainly would not do this

DPinBucks

Distinguished Member
Don't take this as gospel, but:

If your speedo was registering no more than about 38mph, then I doubt you'll be prosecuted, since your actual speed was probably more like 34-35.

Most forces don't prosecute below 35. Between 35 & 40, you might well be offered a place on a Speed Awareness Course at roughly the same price as the fine. If you accept that offer, and I think you should, there'll be no points on your license and no need to inform your insurance company.

At worst, you'll get a £60 fine and 3 points on your license. You must tell your insurers, but it will almost certainly not affect your premium (although newly-qualified drivers may be treated differently).

ste v p

i would not suggest getting one of those front parking devices that accidental can sometimes interfere with laser detectors

i certainly would not do this

Where would you not go to not get some of these things?

Epicurus

I think you'll be fine.

Amazingly some police are capable of common sense and if your driving was otherwise fine, then given the road conditons, traffic, time of day etc they sound sensible enough to realise that your speed was not going to endanger anyone.

As someone already said, it's more likely they were after drink drivers and extremely excessive speeding.

DVD-Man

Distinguished Member
Where would you not go to not get some of these things?

If you get caught with one your in much trouble that a speeding ticket, owners mount them behind the front bumper with a switch hidden somewhere in the cockpit.

Liam ;)

Coop995

I believe that the newer guns being used by police can detect active jamming anyway - anybody in the know able to corroborate this? I would have thought that being caught trying to actively jam police radar would land you a far heftier penalty than a speeding ticket and 3 points.

FZR400RRSP

Banned

A speedomoter is allowed to over-read by a maximum of 10%
But should never under-read.
In other words, your speedo is allowed by law to display 33mph at a true 30mph.
But not allowed to display 27mph at a true 30mph.

ste v p

If you get caught with one your in much trouble that a speeding ticket, owners mount them behind the front bumper with a switch hidden somewhere in the cockpit.

Liam ;)

I'm not surprised! I'm not serious about one as I don't often speed, just curious as I didn't know such things existed.

eric pisch

Distinguished Member
I'm not surprised! I'm not serious about one as I don't often speed, just curious as I didn't know such things existed.

the proper front parking systems sound a warning in car that they may be interfering with a police system and then switch of after a few seconds

which is a good thing as you wouldn't want to interfere with a policeman carrying out his duty

and of course you wouldn't brake during this time either as you wouldn't be breaking the speed limit

D

Deleted member 39001

A total of six or more penalty points during first 2 years of your license and you have to retake the test. The 3 points will likely increase your insurance.

If the road your driving on is in Dorset then you may find a ticket, launched on Monday is Dorsets police ZERO tolerance campaign, they are lacking in the targets so will be out to get anyone.
Personely I support it, even yesterday, there I am in a small part of road that's 30 between some 60's, it's a country ish road, and along comes a boy racer who overtakes...... JUST cause I was doing 30, that's about the 5th time in the last 8 months I've been overtaken just cause I am doing 30, 3 times through villages and once in the morning by some ****. Funny thing is I tend to do 50 to 60 in the 60 so if they go my way I usually end up there ass cause they don't :rolleyes:

My sisters best friends husband is a traffic cop and he says they will ALWAYS do you for speeding in a 30 if your caught, they have to pick the children that are killed because of a speeding cars of the road... they tend to take very dim views on people going over 30 when caught... hence the adverts on telly.
Pity we don't have more police on the road.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom