Think I choose the wrong setting ISO! Oh well.....

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was out today (!st without any rain, wind or any other crappy scottish weather system) and went up towards Calton hill (Again) about 16:15. Played about with the Sony A100 settings and finally took a few shots using the "S" mode. I also changed the ISO settings to between 800 and 1600 and fired of a few. On the Sony screen they looked ok..........but on this screen there was way to much noise.........bugger:mad:

Anyhoo.........used a free photo programme to try and save and here the best of the bunch.....I had ordered Elements 6 and that has still NOT arrived, presently fighting with the couriers.....

ok....

DSC00195aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaxx.jpg

DSC00201aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaxxxx.jpg

DSC00198aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

DSC00191aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

Not great .........and tomorrow is forecast for snow.........

Anyway, minus the noise they were not bad.....:)

icemanonline

I have the same issue with my camera, the LCD is a bit false :suicide:

Nice images, shame they are a bit small, in a way I like a bit of noise ;)

Here's 1 a bit bigger.........

Noise is there.......not sure if its that bad actually...but I think it is....

DSC00191aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg

Not sure even at that size if you see what i mean.....annoying to me though.. keep trying but!! :lesson:

icemanonline

I don't think the noise is that bad. It will certainly print out fine at 5x7

They look a bit soft. Could be the noise reduction program though. the bigger one looks better.

Nice lighting though :thumbsup:

Cheers ....

The lighten is ok but if these pictures were a part of a school project.......... I think on the report card one of the comments would read....."could have done better,"..........:lesson:

I do like the pics just a bit annoyed about the noise.....I think i set it wrong.......and its a new camera so I will let myself of, This time!!!!!:eek:

Cheers :)

icemanonline

Not a bad effort :)

As you're in Edinburgh, I hope you don't mind me pointing you to this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688807

Hi Brammers,

Thanks........Cant take you up on that but wish i could......I'm on call a lot so cannot get the time (had time today while the sun was out....alas why i'm truly annoyed at myself for not doing better on the only day i will probably have for a wee while.....:mad:) because I have to fix bloody computers day in day out......but it pays well!

Thanks for the feedback though..................and as a Sony/Minolta user I can always seek you for advice if I need it.....:D

Did you ever sell the flashgun? Sigma?:)

Seeya Later...............am away to get some shut eye...:boring:

icemanonline

Ahoy Icemanonline!

Good to see you getting out and about with the Alpha.

Just a few words of advice FWIW.

Leave the ISO @ 100 wherever possible. ISO 400 is usable, ISO 800 at a push. You can always try adjusting the exposure value (EV) instead of, or in conjunction with the ISO setting. This is where the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 is great . . low light. What lens did you use?

If you are using JPEG only, set the DRO Optimizer to DRO+. What white-balance setting did you use?

I would suggest using a tripod and a remote shutter release for night shots.

OR

Another tip would be to set your camera on the tripod and use the 10 second delay timer. Try A MODE. S MODE is better for fast moving subjects (sports, planes etc). There is also a Noise Reduction setting in the menu. Turn it ON. I have a list of recommended settings (though not final) if you want them. PM me your email and I'll send them to you as attachments.

Keep posting.

Similar thing happened to me, I'd forgotten that a relative of mine was the last to use my camera and had left the ISO set to 6400. Ruined the first 40 photo's I'd taken yesterday, trouble is on the LCD screens you can't see the noise.

Ahoy Icemanonline!

Good to see you getting out and about with the Alpha.

Just a few words of advice FWIW.

Leave the ISO @ 100 wherever possible. ISO 400 is usable, ISO 800 at a push. You can always try adjusting the exposure value (EV) instead of, or in conjunction with the ISO setting. This is where the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 is great . . low light. What lens did you use?

If you are using JPEG only, set the DRO Optimizer to DRO+. What white-balance setting did you use?

I would suggest using a tripod and a remote shutter release for night shots.

OR

Another tip would be to set your camera on the tripod and use the 10 second delay timer. Try A MODE. S MODE is better for fast moving subjects (sports, planes etc). There is also a Noise Reduction setting in the menu. Turn it ON. I have a list of recommended settings (though not final) if you want them. PM me your email and I'll send them to you as attachments.

Keep posting.

Hi Pirate,

Used the 18-70 lens mate....standard. I had set the ISO on 1600 (Mistake) and checked the other settings which were all correct............I did use the 10 sec delay and used a tripod mate.........

I was in "S" and set it between 1 sec and later when really dark (when all the looney's appear up there!!!:() 3.2 secs.

I know where i made the mistake mate........That's why I was so annoyed.......Wish i could have kicked my own butt on this 1 cos I sure needed it setting the ISO at 1600!!!:mad: Brain lock :boring:

Anyway.......The other settings as I say were fine, just me being an empty heed!!:eek::D

Still have to get some lenses.....Sigma 1st then the 50mm 1.7...........but been so busy lately............

The battery on that camera last an age mate....used it loads and still going :smashin:

Thanks Pirate,:)

I will post some good shots soon..........Just got ND8 in post this morning so that will be another learning exercise unless I get some help with setting for that.......and I will be using the kit 18-70mm for that too.......

Cheers

icemanonline

Similar thing happened to me, I'd forgotten that a relative of mine was the last to use my camera and had left the ISO set to 6400. Ruined the first 40 photo's I'd taken yesterday, trouble is on the LCD screens you can't see the noise.

No what you mean...........I only had time for about 35 shots and didn't see much on the LCD that pointed to the noise until I got back ............Oh well................ good way to learn!!:smashin: I will not forget that. :)

icemanonline

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom