1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think I bought wrong type of Freeloader?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by Andy.T, May 25, 2003.

1. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I knew there were different versions of Freeloader but I hadn't noticed there were different types. :(

I own a US/JPN cube and wanted to be able to play PAL games on it so I bought Freeloader from MX2 thinking this would do the job. It's now turned up but they have sent me a version of Freeloader that says "Import Game Enabler" on the front and has US and JPN flags rather than saying "Universal Game Enabler as I was expecting and looking as the picture on their site suggests.

[​IMG]

Obviously I can go back to MX2 and take this up with them as they have sold me something other than they advertised, I just wanted to check that this IS a different version of FL and it will NOT allow me to play PAL games on my US/JPC cube?

Anyone know?

2. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    As far as I knw there is only one version of Freeloader, albeit one which has different revisions, the most recent being 1.06b.

If you have a Pal game, why don't you just try it instead? Or even if you don't, why not just insert the disc and see if the region screen comes up?

3. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I don't have any PAL discs, I could rent one from Blockbusters but I don't want to waste my money if it's never going to work, hence me asking on here.

When I insert the Freeloader disc it just says "Insert Game Disc". Has no-one else come across this "Import Game Enabler" type of Freeloader?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PM peiro as he just bought one. You nip out to game buy one and if it didn't work return it under their 7/14 satisfaction gauruntee. IF you bought the freeloader you must need to buy some games at some point!

5. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    It's a universal piece of software. You've got exactly the same disc as anyone else in the world who's bought it. Rent a game and see, or buy one from Game and take it back within 10 days!!! :devil:

6. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Ok first things first, I went to Blockbuster and rented Star Wars: Clone Wars and it worked fine. Hooorah! :D

But you guys are making it sound like I was neurotic for even asking the question hehe.

Let me grab some scans of the box and disc and I'll show you what i mean.

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,494
    Saw it in Toys R Us today and it said exactly the same on the front cover, wouldn't worry about it..

Cheers
    Andy

8. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Well for the record here is what I'm talking about and why I was worried, just in case anyone else gets confused the same way. :)

Version I've seen before

Version I have

The disc is exactly as pictured on the rear of the cover.

You will notice that the version I have has no UK flag on the front, is multilingual, states "Import Game Enabler" as opposed to "Universal Game Enabler" and DOESN'T mention it can enable PAL game play on a US/JPN Cube.

Maybe this is because it's the newer 1.06b version, it doesn't state on the case or disc the version number though, so I can only hope it is. :confused:

So there it is, I don't know why mine is different but it does the job. :)

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    NO you were making yourself sound tight for not wanting to pay £3.65 for a rental in case it didn't work!

10. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    £2.75 as it turned out. :)

I really just wanted confirmation (from someone that actually knew - someone with the same version I had for example) that it would work. And ideally a reason why mine looked different and didn't say it would allow me to play PAL games.

If the answer to every post is "try it and see what happens" then we could probably ask the mods to add a bot to give that stock answer to every post asking for advice, think of the time we could all save. ;)