Things you'll miss/won't miss with covid lockdown/distancing

Aristaeus

What things will you miss about covid lockdown? Conversely, is/was there anything you'll be glad to see the back of?

The only thing I will miss is the reduced traffic and fewer cars on the roads. Just looking out my window at a queue of traffic halfway down the street and it's a bit disappointing and quite sad. A once in a lifetime opportunity to reshape how we get about in a more environmentally friendly way and we haven't taken it. The Dutch nailed this half a century ago. I guess we'll have to wait for electric cars

Looking forward to indoor dining, children's softplay reopening, and ditching the mask.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
We will very easily slip back into our inconsiderate and selfish ways, our politicians will pay lip service to 'learning lessons' and the planets destruction will pick where it left off.

I too long to stop wearing the mask.

The Thorne

You say that but traffic will be lower forever as commuting must be greatly reduced by home working which is looking permanent for many companies and even if people do go back to the office, it won’t be the same and probably only on rare occasions.

I will miss table service in pubs, tell you what I can not be arsed battling though rows of people trying to get the barman’s attention. Let’s keep the apps and get it delivered to your table continental style as an option forever.

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
Before covid, people considered me rude when I recoiled with horror if they came near me. I suppose that will come back eventually.

Roxbar

I will miss absolutely nothing about it.

For the first couple of weeks of the first lockdown there was a semi okay novelty about being able to slow down for a bit but after that it was sh*t and brutally depressing in every possible sense.

Going forward it I will be using it as an example of how things can always be worse.

Lemm

Sadly, listening to Raab and then Johnson yesterday, this question is based on the false premise that these restrictions will actually be removed.

wigglygiggly71

I cannot wait to see the back of all of this. This year I didn't even by a calendar (yes, I like the old fashioned ones you put up in the kitchen) because last year was full of crossed out events.

D

Deleted member 897717

Do we actually know what the situation will be?

For me it's been the sheer slog/time it's taken to get many fairly simple things done and unless workplaces "get back" to former productivity in some way or other it won't change.

eg it's all well and good things like the DVLA extending dates for things like MOT/routine driving licence updates etc but they have and will have huge backlogs to clear.

Howardfh

I cannot wait to see the back of all of this. This year I didn't even by a calendar (yes, I like the old fashioned ones you put up in the kitchen) because last year was full of crossed out events.
Not sure which was worse, a calendar of 2020 with all those strike-throughs, or a calendar of 2021 which was completely empty save of a dentist's appointment. Just looking at it in January made me weep.
At leats the start of 2020 had some hope, then heartbreak, 2021 so far has just been heartbreak.

StormySeas

Certainly nothing much to miss, I did enjoy the peace and quiet at first but it did almost become overwhelming.

Looking forward just to do normal things and not have the thought of covid in the back of my mind.

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
I think hugging people you hardly know should be banned permanently, along with hand shaking fist bumps and elbow touching to be replace with a nod in your general direction, anyone caught air kissing should be birched. :rotfl:

Laureline

Not sure which was worse, a calendar of 2020 with all those strike-throughs, or a calendar of 2021 which was completely empty save of a dentist's appointment. Just looking at it in January made me weep.
At leats the start of 2020 had some hope, then heartbreak, 2021 so far has just been heartbreak.

I remember when I returned to work late last September having to flick though all those unused months on my calendar.

It's strange wandering around our floor as many desks still have calendars open at March 2020.

I too will miss how easy it's been to get to work for the past seven months. I won't miss having to bring my own lunchtime snack because the canteen her has been shut as have most of the surrounding vendors around the building as they depend on us for trade.

I'll also miss how easy it is to get into the building, we have to swipe in and out and so since I've been back there's never been anyone ahead of me. Soon it'll be back to queues waiting to get through the gates. Oh and the speed of elevators to respond to you pressing the button.

I've really enjoyed having the building barely occupied :)

Last edited:

Betsi

I loved the quiet of the first few weeks of lockdown. And I quite like the Dr. telephone consultations rather than having to sit in an uncomfortable waiting room for at least half an hour.

I look forward to at some point not having to worry if myself, family and friends have picked up the virus.

Howardfh

I loved the quiet of the first few weeks of lockdown. And I quite like the Dr. telephone consultations rather than having to sit in an uncomfortable waiting room for at least half an hour.

I look forward to at some point not having to worry if myself, family and friends have picked up the virus.
The one thing that could come out of this is e-mail and zoom consultations with your doc being a regular thing, saving you having to go to the surgery; something pre-covid our surgery was against.

had a spot on my face which concerned me, normally I would have to go to the surgery and have him look, but during covid he said "send a couple of photos" which I did and got a diagnosis.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
You say that but traffic will be lower forever as commuting must be greatly reduced by home working which is looking permanent for many companies and even if people do go back to the office, it won’t be the same and probably only on rare occasions.

I will miss table service in pubs, tell you what I can not be arsed battling though rows of people trying to get the barman’s attention. Let’s keep the apps and get it delivered to your table continental style as an option forever.

Not necessarily the case as it will depend on on the willingness of those who have commute to work using public transport take up again .

As someone who has had to commute to work throughout I will miss less traffic on the roads .

VivaE

I think hugging people you hardly know should be banned permanently, along with hand shaking fist bumps and elbow touching to be replace with a nod in your general direction, anyone caught air kissing should be birched. :rotfl:

I would so happily sign up for that particular new world.

And would equally happily continue to wear a mask long after mask-wearing is no longer mandatory if it means I can point frantically to it in a 'BEWARE, CONTAMINATED PERSON HERE! STAND BACK!!' stance when confronted with and in order to avoid all of the above scenarios.

The elbow bump in particular generates serious serial killer thoughts and inclinations in me.

Last edited:

Autumn Rain

I will miss not needing an excuse to be anti-social. I've quite enjoyed all the solitude and the extra "me" time.

I won't miss masks, sick of the bloody things now. I also won't miss the one way systems at work and all the sanctimonious finger wagging I've seen on social media (though coming off Facebook and being very selective with what I look at on Twitter has helped with that).

Mainly Lurking

I miss the eerie evening quiet of lockdown 1, we've a couple of pubs with beer gardens not far and while they're hardly rowdy, sitting out in the evening isn't quite as pleasant now.
I'll miss not having to find excuses for being anti-social.
I don't really mind masks so I think I'll still drag them out when colds/flu are knocking around
I won't miss abuse and moaning from customers we get for customer limits, mask usage etc

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PrimaLuna debuts Evo 300 Hybrid integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Astell&Kern announces AK ZERO1 in ear monitor
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MI1250 power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 13th October 2021