Things to look out for on a Sky HD install

hammer man

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm having Sky HD installed on Monday and would like advice on anything that I need to make sure the engineer does or doesn't do. I have seen from the forum that a software download should be done, but can you think of anything a else. Cheers,

i'm getting mine fitted during the week and thought this was a good thread. i'll keep my eyes on it.

i was wondering if the engineer supplies the cables from the sat point to HD box, mine is about 5m away so that is 5m x 2.

also does the box come with a HDMI lead and what length, as i need a 2m one.

i'm getting mine fitted during the week and thought this was a good thread. i'll keep my eyes on it.

i was wondering if the engineer supplies the cables from the sat point to HD box, mine is about 5m away so that is 5m x 2.

The sky box comes with a standard 1.5mt HDMI lead,if thats not long enough dont spend a fortune as with a digital signal there's nothing to be gained.....a cheapo will do :)

Ron

The 'installer' will cable up as necessary. You won't need to supply anything. He should also check that the box has the latest software update and even program the remote to work with the make and model of TV that you have.

ATB

Max

Chap who installed mine decided to put my co-axial lead (purple) into one of the stereo outpus and one of my cd players phono leads (black) into the other one:eek:(on the hd box)

What a plonker !

Perhaps you should check the back of your unit before the engineer leaves.He did do the software update after a gentle reminder from me.These people are not engineers (IMO) but installers, so please check.:smashin:

These people are not engineers (IMO) but installers, so please check.:smashin:
This is true. The majority of installers do not have actual engineering qualifications.

The installer is obliged to connect the HD box to the TV to get the best possible picture and sound and to connect the phone line. Usually this means fitting the 1.5m HDMI lead (provided it will reach). He is not obliged to supply a longer lead, move equipment or furniture around the room, or connect up other equipment (such as DVD/CD player, audio system, etc.)

This is true. The majority of installers do not have actual engineering qualifications.

I know a load of folks with so called "engineering qualifications" and wouldn't dream of trusting them to do a decent job :thumbsdow
If the persons bothered then he's bothered, qualifications or not:rolleyes:

thanks for the advice lads. must get a 2m HDMI lead then as TV is on the wall.

What exactly does the installer do when having HD installed to replace an existing Sky+ box? It doesnt sound like a major job compared to a new install or multiroom install. Is any work required to the dish? Also i am relocating my existing Sky+ box to the bedroom which will replace an older Sky+ box. I take it I can do this myself.

What exactly does the installer do when having HD installed to replace an existing Sky+ box? It doesnt sound like a major job compared to a new install or multiroom install. Is any work required to the dish? Also i am relocating my existing Sky+ box to the bedroom which will replace an older Sky+ box. I take it I can do this myself.

It is indeed just a 'box swap' and pairing your card with the new box.

You might suggest you could do with a new dish if it's been up there a few years. ;)

If you're paying for the install, I'd also make him swap your Sky + boxes around too! :smashin:

ATB

Max

Hello, I'm having Sky HD installed on Monday and would like advice on anything that I need to make sure the engineer does or doesn't do. I have seen from the forum that a software download should be done, but can you think of anything a else. Cheers,

You donÂ’t say if you have Sky/Sky+ already...
So if you haven’t Bear in mind that the installers will not be prepared to spend much time on feeding the dish cable from the outside to the inside, i.e. they like to drill straight through walls. If you are able to come up with a plan to feed the cables the way you want them doing then it’s well worth your time to pull up the odd floorboard and put ‘pull-throughs’ in prior to Sky turning up. Either way I’d check just how they intend to run the cables prior to them starting.
If you have a dish already, then ignore the above.;)

My installer was prepared to struggle with the ladders down the back and install a new LNB for our second dish rather than run through the wall to the front dish.

Pairing the cards was a complete mess, it took him about 10 attempts, and phone calls, they paired, but then un-paired for some reason.

I just had to do a forced software update cause they didn't do one by the looks of it when i had mine installed yesterday. How long is it before anytime appears as it should ?

We had our HD box installed a couple of weeks ago, replacing a standard digibox. The engineers didn't do the software upgrade, they didn't pair the new box and card, and I had to drill a 10mm hole in a timber windowframe to allow the extra cable through. We had a quad lnb fitted as we already had multiroom. After numerous phone calls to the "technical" centre, we finally got going a week after the installation.

The best thing about the Sky HD box, is that it has Sky+ built in.

You might suggest you could do with a new dish if it's been up there a few years.
I didn't have to ask - he just replaced it though there was nothing wrong with it. He left it and I put it out for scrap.

Had HD installed today. No probs. Thanks to all advice on this thread

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom