Things to do in Prague

• Thread starter Deleted member 13294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13294

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice into where to go on my previous thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368510

Well, Wednesday is the big day when we fly out to Prague, while Thursday is our 10th anniversary. We're there till Monday afternoon.

Does anyone have any general recommendations on things to do, and any specific recommendations for an anniversary meal on Thursday night? :)

Went with a group of about 50 from work about 4 years ago, and the best night out we had was at the circus!
It was in a huge restaurant with the tables around the outside. The acts, acrobats, puppeteers, jugglers etc were really good until top of the bill- a guy on an accordion playing folksongs. Being p155ed we gave him a standing ovation, so he just kept on playing. It was hilarious.
It may not quite be the romantic night you are looking for, but it really was fab. The food was good too.
We actually went in December and it was the first weekend of their Christmas market with stalls in the main square, a crib with deer in, and for the first time since being a little kid, Christmas felt special. That's the ideal time to go IMO.

To keep the romantic vibe alive, try to avoid Wencelas Square and the off-shoot streets from anytime mid-afternoon onwards. They tend to become populated with advertisers for various 'nightclubs' quite different to the one's we're used to. I only spent four days in Prague but, on at least two occasions, enjoyed a long walk over Charles Bridge and into the old town. Walking up to the castle affords you good views of Prague's old town (on one side of the river) though attractive sights seem to cost a penny or two when you're in the newer side of the city.

My visit, as with so many people I know, was centered around cheap beer and so it didn't amount to the sight-seeing trip you're probably anticipating. However, Charles Bridge and the walk up to the castle could occupy you for an afternoon and it is an attractive place underneath the 'stag weekend make-up'.

Hi Squiffy,

You chose well going to Prague.

We went about a year after the Communists had left but we found it a magical place. At that time meals and drinks were incredibly cheap except in the hotel restaurant and upmarket restaurants.

We stayed in Wenceslas Square, Hotel Adria, it looked like a doll's house from the outside. Quite expensive for the time. Taxis were a rip off and we often went by underground railway, very, very cheap and hardly anyone using them. We mostly walked around, and felt completely safe. Although it was October the sun shone all day, but cold at night.

As Ciaran said, the Charles Bridge and the Castle are a must. The enormous squares are exciting, and the cakes in the cafes the best I've ever had. The old buildings are so beautiful. Don't forget to watch the famous clock figures on the hour.

I had always wanted to go to an opera. My husband (completely unmusical) reluctantly agreed. We went to the State Opera, which was showing Don Giovanni, not an opera I would have chosen. It cost about £30 each then as tickets were booked up for months ahead so it was inevitable it would be expensive. It was a beautiful theatre, just the right setting for an opera, all gilt and plush and atmosphere. It was nice to do something completely different to any other holiday.

There was one very large department store, mega low prices there, and just as if the Communists were still living there. Nothing was laid out attractively, just piled high on counters. The plastic models showing women's clothes were more like women shot putters, huge, with very big arms and legs. Even the faces were very square and the hair was painted on to the head. The clothes were terrible too. That would definitely have changed now!

Our son went about four years ago and was very impressed. Great for clubbing, he said, and the squares were full of young people all night, a wonderful atmosphere there. He also complained about the taxi prices. I think they've done something about it as I read somewhere there were so many complaints from tourists.

Have a wonderful time, I'm sure you'll both love it.

How's about here for your anniversary meal?? Impress the wife with the fact that Chuck Norris has dined here!! Oh, and Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, and The Rolling Stones.

Have a look here for other suggestions.

Have a great time. :smashin:

I hear theres loads of clubs for woman, where they can shag the strippers, the dirdy tilty beggars.

bewarned incase your missus says shes going on a hen night to prague:devil:

For your anniversary meal, I'd highly reccommend a restaurant called "Kampa Park". It's on a small island at the castle end of the Charles Bridge and many of the tables overlook the river. Great food and atmosphere. With a reasonable bottle of wine I'd budget ~£120 for the meal. One thing to watch out for though is that they'll give you two wine lists, the regular one and the 'special' one. I didn't realise there was a second one and was a bit shocked when I thought I'd have to fork out £100+ for their cheapest bottle! You might have to book a little in advance to get a nice table (we got our hotel receptionist to book it for us the day before).

We also went to Flambee restaurant (recommended above) and whilst it was good I thought Kampa Park was a noticable step up again.

Also very much enjoyed the short evening concerts at the museum, they're only an hour long and they play the popular classiscs. A nice way to start an evening out.

Have a good time,

James.

Thank you woodywizz,

I had often tried to recall the restaurant we went to in Wenceslas Square with the Art Nouveau decor. Now I see it was "The Triton".

Since we were staying on the opposite side of the square it was so easy to walk there at the end of a tiring sight seeing day. Fabulous food then for special occasions. The next day we went to a bar for stew and dumplings and plum tart for a tenth of the price.

I now want to go back there after seeing the site with the restaurants and reliving old memories.

Have lots of sex? Or may be Sodoku? Twister? Clay pigeon shooting?

Drink & Strippers. Atlas bar is an eye opening experience I can assure you, ladies welcome.

watch you dont get kidnapped by the russian mafia, taken to a abandoned factory and then violently slaughtered by some sick **** who paid 10k for the pleasure

happy hols:devil:

The Ironduke said:
watch you dont get kidnapped by the russian mafia, taken to a abandoned factory and then violently slaughtered by some sick **** who paid 10k for the pleasure

I'll be avoiding McDonalds too..... :cool:

The Ironduke said:

happy hols:devil:

you've watched Hostel then :)

Well, got back late last night - had an absolutely fabulous time.

We did do Kampa Park. It was a very nice setting, and the food was OK but perhaps a little overpriced with £155 all-in for the meal & wine. Also waiting 50 mins between starter and main course was not quite what we expected. Lovely views over the river and bridge though, and I think we got the best table in the place. :)

We did find one very nice little French restaurant called Universal which had fantastic food, great service and excellent prices. Even their cheapo red wine Frankovka was very drinkable. Definitely a recommendation from me.

What else was good... The torture museum was interesting if a little small. The Church Of Our Lady Of the Snow was absolutely beautiful inside, and is a must see. The changing of the guard at Prague castle (the midday 'big' changing complete with band) was also fun, even if their light blue uniforms and comedy marching was a bit camp. :D A tour of the city on the weird 'train' trailer thing (leaves from Old Town Square) was also fun, and made you feel a bit closer to the stuff you were driving past than the tours in the enclosed buses.

We also had one great day just lounging around in bars getting drunk. The benefits of having no kids to look after, and the luxury of a lie-in to get over the hangover! :smashin:

What a wonderful place. We also made a point of touching Lorraines cross on the centre of Charles Bridge and making a wish. Apparently this guarantees that we will return one day. :)

Thanks to everyone for the info and recommendations. :clap:

£155 for a meal for two?? :confused: I must be living on a different planet I paid £ 70 for two at the Gaucho grill and thought I'd been done. A similar meal In Argie would cost me about £10.00 - yes starter a stonking steak and a bottle of drinkable wine:) . I thought the Czech republic would be cheaper than here:confused:

i am taking my missus here for our anniversary :
http://www.seafoodexperience.com/
where the seafood platter I know is excellent and costs abouyt £48 for two-good value( for the UK) as its huge.Downed with a bottle of Fussy Pussy at aboput £20 that makes it £70 plus tip.£155 for two:confused: Naah ,they are having a laugh! Mind you Brits tend to pay the asking price for everything which is why get ripped off so often

Thank you Squiffy for letting us know about your holiday.

You seem to have done all the right things (maybe not the torture museum!) and I'm pleased you weren't disappointed. Reading your thread has made me long to go back there. I've made a note of the Universal restaurant for the future.

It was a memorable anniversary and you'll never forget it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom