Things to do in Orlando?

MonkeyPrince

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've been roped into a group holiday in Orlando. Although I'm sure I'll enjoy the water parks, I'm not really into rollercoasters etc.

There will be days where I'll have to tag along, so I'll be hoping to go on a few rides but mainly mooch about taking photos. Will it be tough getting anything interesting in the theme parks?

I'm sure I'll have 4 or 5 days away from the parks, so without travelling too far are there any suggestions of things to do and see in the area?

Ideally I'd like to take some photos, and in not really into shopping.

I'll be staying in Kissimmee, and I'll have access to a hire car.

Thanks

Loads of stuff to do!

Airboat rides are a good one. Loads of photo opportunities, particularly the alligators.
Take a trip west to Tampa and go to Busch Gardens. It has loads to see and do, even if you don't fancy the rollercoasters. Go slightly further to Clearwater on the west coast and then down to St Petersburg. All very picturesque.

Also, the big theme parks have tons of stuff to do excluding rollercoasters. Epcot has loads of photo opportunites, as do most of them really.

What time of year are you going?

Loads of stuff to do!

Airboat rides are a good one. Loads of photo opportunities, particularly the alligators.
Take a trip west to Tampa and go to Busch Gardens. It has loads to see and do, even if you don't fancy the rollercoasters. Go slightly further to Clearwater on the west coast and then down to St Petersburg. All very picturesque.

Also, the big theme parks have tons of stuff to do excluding rollercoasters. Epcot has loads of photo opportunites, as do most of them really.

What time of year are you going?

Thanks, that sounds really promising

I'm going in May

there is plenty to see at the parks even if you don't like coasters

i agree re airboats, great fun and lots to see

if you like snakes (who doesn't??) consider a trip to the serpentarium where they milk snakes for poison - fascinating watching the dangerous boogers

Clearwater is a great beach

Kennedy space centre is interesting if space floats your boat

basically = loads to do and you will love it

Disney World's 4 theme parks are fine even if you don't like rollercoasters.

Universal Studios is worth visiting for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, assuming you like the books/films.

Can only echo the above. Also Seaworld is amazing.

If you're going down to St. Pete's, check the local information - they have an amazing market there (a bit like a farmer's market, street entertainment, etc.), you'll have terrific photo-ops there, but I can't remember what day it's on - maybe Saturday.

Plenty of golf courses around if that's your thing.

The Keys are awesome, but probably too far (it's the best part of a day's drive from Orlando to Key Largo, then around another 100 miles to Key West - worth the effort if you have the time, though).

Thanks everyone so far :)

I'm not into Harry Potter, so I may give that a miss. I won't be going to SeaWorld (I don't agree with captive animals for entertainment, 'Blackfish' is worth a watch for anyone interested).

I did a quick search on the Airboat tours, and found this. Anybody here used them before?

Lots of good ideas though, thanks.

I'm now deciding whether to treat myself to a Ricoh GR for the trip, or stick with my el-cheapo Fuji X-F1 :p

Discovery Cove is an expensive but awesome attraction. Far less crowded than other waterparks (you need to book in advance) and if you're into that sort of thing, the optional dolphin swim is a superb experience.

I haven't taken an airboat ride in Florida, but I have walked around the Everglades and seeing aligators and snakes up close and personal is pretty cool. When I went with my girlfriend last year she isn't into big rides either, so I only did a few of the big ones by myself. I can't say I got bored sightseeing, I really enjoy the atmosphere of Epcot and although we didn't go this time, the Universal Studios backlot tour or whatever they call it is great.

Other people on this forum have gone shooting at some of the gun ranges in the area, I haven't done this myself but might appeal to you.

Although it's too far for a day trip, Miami is one of my favourite cities. We booked a hotel for one night (just left our room in Orlando empty for a night). This would give you a chance to see the Everglades and a much better selection of airboat rides.

The Keys as mentioned above are stunning, and the drive is a surreal experience when doing it for the first time. Really though you need 2 days at least as it's quite a drive from Orlando and doesn't fit in with your wish not to drive to far!

america's bloody huge...even places that look 'just there' turn out to be a days drive away..
mannys original chophouse is worth a visit..nom nom

Go to Wekiwa Springs State Park, which is not too far away. (an hour or so). Lots of birds and wildlife to see. You can also canoe down the river, and should see some alligators. It's popular with locals at the weekend, so maybe go midweek.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Phil

boggy creek has lots of good reviews and looks to be a good airboat company - we used wild willy's as the boats are smaller so we had one all to ourselves (which was nice)

if you like gators then gatorland is great (but they are in captivity so maybe not your thing)

Thanks everyone , looks like a good start. These are the things I fancy so far.

1. Busch Gardens
2. Airboats
3. St Petes Beach
4. Wekiwa Springs State Park (weekday)
5. Universal
6. The theme park next to Universal?
6. WetnWild
7. Typhoon Lagoon
8. Blizzard Beach

Add in at least one shopping day, and it looks like I'm nearly set. I really fancy the Keys etc, but I don't think I'll talk the Coaster freaks with me into it

There's also a nice sleepy town not too far from Wekiwa - Mount Dora - which is worth a stroll around. Nothing much there, just a nice lake (full of gators) and some nice houses, coffee shops, eateries and bars. It's a million miles from the bustle of Orlando. And that's really the appeal of the place. It's Florida from a bygone age, and is like quite a few Victorian era US towns. Quaint and peaceful. Some might say too peaceful... I like it.

Visit Mount Dora, Florida

The Keys are really too far to see from Orlando, unless you want to do an overnight stay. 2 nights if you want to get down to Key West. I'd save that one for another visit, maybe combining with Ft Lauderdale or Miami.

North of Orlando on the East Coast is St Augustine. A nice town, bigger, older and livelier than Dora. Again, probably a bit too far for a day trip, but worth a couple of days if you go again.

Phil

Last edited:
Dont right off the coasters altogether.. my missus wasnt really into them, but loved the whole experience..
Really would be a shame to miss the big harry potter one.. awesome
It can be very pricey for one day entry to one park.. you'll have to have a look at the packages being offered

the theme park next to Universal (studios) is Islands of Adventure - owned by universal. That is where harry potter is (although they are building another Harry Potter area in Universal studios)

IOA has more coasters and water rides than Universal Studios which is more indoor experience type attractions. Both great parks

You can get a 2 week pass to both universal parks and Wet and Wild for around £120 if you look online, will work out cheaper than paying in each park i think

If you're shopping there are a range of outlets, but by far the best to my personal choice is this one:

Orlando Premium Outlets - Vineland Ave

You can download some coupons there before you go. I love being able to refresh my wardrobe for just $200-300!

You might wish to check out the Blue Man Group show in the Universal downtown area. You don't need tickets to the park, but do normally need to book it in advance. Other people rave about it, personally I found it entertaining but better suited for kids.

Premium Outlets is definitely a good place to go. Loads of bargains there and top names too.
I wouldn't worry about downloading coupons before you go, there are literally hundreds of coupon books at pretty much every restaurant!

The Blue Man Group is supposed to be amazing, I haven't been purely because it is extremely expensive.

Go to Wekiwa Springs State Park, which is not too far away. (an hour or so). Lots of birds and wildlife to see. You can also canoe down the river, and should see some alligators. It's popular with locals at the weekend, so maybe go midweek.

Welcome to Florida State Parks

Phil

+1 for Wekiwa. Nice place to walk round and get some good photos and there are loads of other parks you can visit. There are even walks around the Disney resort that are not directly in the parks and also worth visiting Celebration :)

Echo Clearwater, Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Centre (also Daytona if you like cars), trip to Naples if you have time (bit of a long drive though), airboat rides are a must.
Loads to do and nowhere never enough time!

Don't forget Cirque du Soleil at Downtown Disney. That's worth a visit.
I wouldn't rule out Magic Kingdom or EPCOT in terms of Disney Parks either. Both are worth a day's visit if you have time.

Thanks again all :clap:

I really like the sound of Mount Dora, and the Vineland Avenue outlet for shopping. Somebody had mentioned Bells Outlet and the Florida Mall, would Vineland be a better option?

I'm actually really looking forward to the holiday now (Ricoh GR arrives for testing on Monday too :devil:)

Last edited:
I haven't been to Bells Outlet but out of the other two I much preferred Vineland Avenue, a bigger selection of the "mainstream" brands and genuine bargains. Make sure you get there early though, it's so popular that after 10am it becomes difficult to park.

We didn't make it to Mount Dora but it did sound like it could be cool. We headed over to the gulf of Mexico coast instead and the beaches are beautiful, Clearwater was really nice.

Belz Outlet closed years ago. It was torn down and replaced by what is now Premium Outlet International Drive (as distinct from Premium Outlet Vineland Avenue, which is.....in a different place is about all).

The Florida Mall and the slightly more upmarket Mall at Millenia are both "normal" shopping malls, as opposed to outlets.

Mount Dora is quaint. If you like quaint, visit also Park Avenue, Winter Park. As well as a nice parade of shops, museum and parkland, there is also scenic boat tour you can take.

If you are up for a Bike Ride, head for the West Orange Trail - see West Orange Trail Bikes and Blades

The back stage magic tour at Disney is really interesting. Full day visiting all four parks being shown around how things work and a walk around the utilidoors in the Magic Kingdom. Could be handy if everyone else is having a park day as well! Over 16's only and must be booked in advance though

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom