1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to check on a second hand projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hansrob9, Jan 5, 2005.

1. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been offered a 3-4 months old AE700 for sale for 950 GBP including a free screen. It seems to be quite a good value (is it ??) but I am a bit scared that I am not going to know what to check before buying it.

I have researched a fair amount the various pj in that price range and the 700 seems the one for me, but this would be my first pj so difficult to compare accurately with what a new one would offer.

So the real question is: Is is worth spending 350 more to get this brand new from a dealer or is the second hand a real saving?

2. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    a lot depends on the hours on the bulb, if you know the person, i.e. whether they will have cared for it and what the warranty is like? if it is 12 months then you are a third through it, if its 3 years like epson give then you have a long time left!!

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Think I remember someone saying they got one of similar age for around £800, but that was without a screen.
    Me personally, wouldn't bite unless it was around half price 2nd hand. For 1K you can get a new TX100 which is similar spec and performance.

What to check? Hours on lamp seems first thing, but that can be reset of course. Condition of case, how noisy is the fan? Ideally it's best to know how it was used eg fixed loc'n better than being lugged around in the boot of a car (suspect former as it is a home cimena oriented device).

Good luck!...PJ

4. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I've bought three PJs secondhand now - a Panny AE100, AE300 and an AE700. The 700 cost me £700.00, but I think that was good deal for me :)

£950.00 inc. a screen seems reasonable, depending on the screen - is it 4:3 or 16:9? Any ripples? How large/small? How much can it be had new? As for the PJ itself, I made sure with the AE700 that it was fully up to temp (doesn't take long!), but had an extensive - over an hour - test, viewing a number of well known DVDs. It's probably a good idea to check all the input connections - HDMI, component, S Video and VGA - but this may not be possible.

More specifically, you can go into the Panny's menu and bring up solid red, blue, green, white and black screen colours. This is good for checking for dust blobs - and anything else that looks out of place like a severe case of vertical banding etc.

As has been mentioned check for hours used, and whether the hours have been in high or low bulb mode. Have a careful look at the receipt and make sure everything is in order. I would also check that the PJ turns off with no problems - with the fan speeding up for a few minutes etc.

The Panny AE700 can now be bought for £1225.00 - I don't think there's much chance of buying one for anything near half price ;) - but PJTX100 makes a very valid point re the Hitachi - they seem to be in the same ball park as the Panny, and can be purchased for quite a lot less, especially second hand.

At the end of the day, £950.00 is a lot of dosh to splash out if you're not confident in your prospective purchase. This is one of the reasons I started with an older, cheaper PJ and learned a bit about how they work, just what they're capable of, and the quirks of LCD PJs in particular.

I'm very happy with my AE700, and if you get one with no problems (why is the current owner selling?) hopefully you will be, too! If you need any help with how to check for certain menu operations please just ask and I'm sure somebody will offer some advice ;)

All the best mate,

Mark

5. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup:

I am going to check the Hitachi, I am not sure I looked at this one carefully :oops:

Regarding the reason for selling, it seems that the pj was bought by flatmates and that some of them have moved on. So they want to sell the pj to split the money.

The screen is the one that's given by panasonic in some of the pj + screen package. Has anyone had any experience of that? I must say that I am not *that* interested in the screen as I am not yet sure the screen size and the type (manual/electric/etc) that I will fit. So my initial plan was to project on some white surface of sort (sheet or blackout material) until I can decide on the screen size that I'll be comfortable with.

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    :) Ooh flatmates - the Hitachi, or buying any new PJ, sounds like a wise choice :D

Cine4Home rate the Hitachi very highly - you'll need a translator to read the reviews, I use this one

Good luck ;)

7. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, especially as I have just had a conversation with the seller, and he doesn't seem to know that much about pj in the first place. So I am guessing that they didn't take particularly good care of it...

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    You did! :D ...PJ

9. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some people seems to get better deal than others ;-)

To be honest, I am not *that* bothered about the price (although can't stretch indefinitely). I am more interested in getting a decent pj for dvd watching and occasional xbox playing. To me "value for money" is the key.

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Know what you mean. To me any of the modern crop of PJ's are great value for money vs plasma for example, can't go far wrong with the 700, the TX100, the HS50 etc. For some reason the TX100 gets overlooked a lot, yet for spec vs price it's extremely competitive...PJ

11. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    If you're after VFM and you can afford the Sony HS50 then personally I would spend the £1500.00 on one of those. I've demoed one and it's just like the Panny AE700 only better, in pretty much every area... bar cost ;)

Having said that, there is something to be said for the Hitachi, especially if you decided on an extended warranty - that would probably take you into Panny AE700/Sanyo Z3 price territory and the Z3 comes with a three year warranty as standard, but they've had a few problems with the "predator look" as well as lock ups... ya pays ya money! ;)

PJ - I was lucky with the AE700 @ £700.00. I don't think another one will be advertised at that price for a while yet ;)

12. SuperSportBilly

SuperSportBilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +390
    What about the Toshiba MT200 - seems to be based on the Infocus 4805 and can be had for around £800 new.

I am seriously looking at one of those. Recently saw the Infocus 4805 and I was very impressed with the contrast. Ideally a higher resolution would be better but the scaler worked well and it seemed less pixellated than my Sanyo Z1. At the moment I am struggling to justify the extra outlay for a H57, HC900 or HS50.

By way of an aside I saw the Hs50 and I was a little underwhelmed. Perhaps I will have to look for another demo - people seem to love it - maybe it was not set up well.

Anyway just mentioning the Toshiba MT200 or a 2nd hand 4805 - offers great DVD viewing for the money you seem to be looking at spending.

13. hansrob9

hansrob9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice. :thumbsup: I think I am going to stick with the 700 for the first proj. It seems to offer slightly more flexibility (lens orientation, 2x zoom, good socketry, etc...) than its rivals and this makes it ideal as a first entry into pj.

I have also been very impressed by the independant measurements the french retailer FNAC has done (available online at http://www.fnac.net/telecharg/dossiers_techniques_2005/videoprojecteurs_2005.pdf) which show an all round performance from this pj.

I also will buy it from new as the vendor has decided to keep his, but also because I want the comfy feeling that if I got something wrong I can send it back to the retailer.

So... Order time :clap: . Any recommended place to get it? :smashin: