Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Things on a low budget... Onkyo HT-S650

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by grooveman, Oct 21, 2002.

1. grooveman

grooveman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! :)

As a present, my Mom and I are looking to get my Dad a modest home theater / cd / radio / bit of vinyl listening setup. For now, I think the DVD/TV/radio receiver/turntable part is setup OK, so have been peering at speakers plus a amp/receiver type deal.

I came across the Onkyo HT-S650 package and it seems to have gotten good reviews from a few places, but I thought I might just ask around here to see if anyone might have any experience with it. As it is, it is just right for the budget we are looking for - $500. (*Grins sheepishly*) Know this is not an audiophile setup... we are just looking for the best we can do within the above range. :)

Any advice or opinions anyone might have would be very, very appreciated!

Thanks kindly! :)

Andy

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    is it an all in one speakers amp affair? post me a link.....

ad

3. grooveman

grooveman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi buns! :D

The manufacturer's site with stated specs is here.

A cnet review of the speakers themselves is here and a cnet review of the kitted version is here. (The kit is evidently a combo of the Onkyo SKS-HT500 speakers and the Onkyo HT-R500 receiver.) There are some epinions (possibly Ack!) reviews here. [Edit: For some reason, a <br> seems to be making its way into the link... :( Is supposed to be:
    http://www.epinions.com/Onkyo_HT_S650_Home_Theater_System__Full_Systems_HT_S650
    without the space and line break. An epinions.com search for S650 finds it, but can't seem to make the link happy here. :(]

Thanks kindly! :)