Things I've learned about the onkyo 606

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rayfitzharris, Feb 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. rayfitzharris

rayfitzharris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Folks ,
    I've been a bit of a lurker here for the past few months, researching my 606 purchase.

I've read a number of posts about the 50hz (in ireland here) ground/earth humming problem, which may or may not be related to a mis communicated buzzing problem.

Well, I bit the bullet and have been living with the 606 for about a month now,
    I just though it might be usefull to share some things i've learned about this amp.

Up untill very recently I've had lots of analogue connections made to this amp.
    (didn't have a hdtv so was outputting video over composite, shocking I know!)
    I had ps3 and wii input via composite video and stereo RCA audio.
    dvd player was scart to tv and spdif to onkyo.

I had the 50hz hum and badly, I put this down to all the crappy analogue rca connections, this assumption was reinforced by a quick test: removed some rca connections and hum reduces.

I now have only hdmi connections to the amp and it's probably in it's final configuration, so here goes:

1.If you have 5.1 speakers the audussey setup will not run if you have connected your rear speakers to the rear/back surround channels.

2. Audussey sets my center and sub too low (for my ears anyway) and my surrounds too high.

3. The onkyo runs quite hot, but this has not caused any problems.

4. The amps setup menu will only display on the screen over hdmi.

5. If I use anything BUT a sole optical connection from ps3 to onkyo, (hdmi,analogue rca) The xmb screen on the ps3 will result in a 50hz hum through my speakers.
    it can be heard on quite low levels of volume (as low as 20).

6. Turning off dynamic eq will reduce the hum significantly, but NOT fully.

7. Turning off audussey eq will also reduce the hum.

8. I eliminated all analogue connections to my amp and the hum remained.

9. upon disconnecting the ps3's hdmi input the hum dissapears completely.

10. The hum is still apparent with the ps3 off (still plugged in) with hdmi connection.

11. Hum gone completely when ps3 is physicaly disconnected form wall/pugboard/extension lead.

12. This in my view is a classic earth/ground loop problem, the issue is the ps3 has an earth connection made in it's plug. the onkyo only has live and neutral made, via a 2 pin to 3pin adaptor. By the look of the onkyo power lead I suspect it only contains these 2 wires, it's kind of thin and flat.

Now the onkyo amp contains lots of high voltage transformers/amplifiers etc and has a metal case. The ps3 is probably mostly runing off 5/12v dc and has plastic case.
    Q.1 Why is it ok to have no earth connection on the onkyo when the ps3 needs it?

13. I disconnected the earth in the ps3's plug :thumbsdow and lo and behold, no hum whatsoever even at max volume, only pure beautiful silence! I know this is a classic dumb ass thing to do.

Q.2 Can anyone offer me any inexpensive alternative?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. BiKESEAT

BiKESEAT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got exactly the same problem, same setup ps3 to 606 with HDMI. I had a multi power adapter lying around that had the earth disconnected, hooked the ps3 up with it and voila no hum whatsoever.

I've seen in another thread if you have a 'B' on the end of the serial number than a hardware fix has been done to fix the hum. Mine hasn't got it, so I guess it's going back in for repair.

It's less than a month old so i'll start with where i bought it from, if they can't do a direct replacement then i'll call the service agent.

3. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +886
    1) Im assuming because it is manufactured for the US and they give you some sort of adaptor plug rather than recabling it? I think I had this on my 806.

2) I have no knowledge of this, but surely if you took it to a hifi repair shop, it wouldnt be hard for them to ad an earth connection to it for you?

4. rayfitzharris

rayfitzharris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi BiKESEAT,
    does your 606 have the same 2 pin to 3 pin connector?
    I've contacted Komplett.ie (who I bought it from) and they've said they aren't aware of an issue with the onkyo, but if onkyo could confirm that there was an issue that they would take it back. Onkyo have said I need to deal with the retailer without confirming the issue. So i'm kind of stuck in limbo, Even if I do get a replacement it will likely have the same 2 to 3 pin adaptor and similar earth problem.

I'll have to look into adding an earth to the onkyo. I'm not averse to soldering if anyone knows where it should be attached?

5. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +886
    speak to GenServe...

6. rayfitzharris

rayfitzharris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm sure that would cost me a bomb to get it shipped to england and back!
    with the weight if it!

7. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +886

sorry fella but im not psycic (and cant spell either lol) where are you based? and do you not have an authorised Onkyo repairer place in your country?

8. weirdbeardmt

weirdbeardmt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OP says he's in Ireland in first post.

I'm interested to know if warranty repairs cover shipping - I might have to send my 706 off to GenServe and I'm in Guernsey, Channel Islands... no Onkyo repairer here... but if it's a genuine fault with the device, I don't see why I should have to pay shipping since it's under warranty...

9. BiKESEAT

BiKESEAT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah onkyo appears to have only two wires internally. Still running the ps3 with no earth connected.

10. novcze

novcze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    So you have PS3 then HDMI to Onkyo 606 then HDMI to TV?

1. If you have 5.1 speakers you should use SURR SPEAKERS channels for rear speakers

A.2 When PS3 is grounded, try remove HDMI connection to TV or try disconnect antenna from TV/set top box. Let me know results.

11. rayfitzharris

rayfitzharris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    correct! sorry didn't look up the label!

Interesting idea, from what I remember the hum is there with tv connected or not, but'll give it a try again to make sure..

12. novcze

novcze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If you have more than that one connection from 606 to TV, then is easier just remove antenna cable from wall socket. What kind of reception do you have? Freeview or something from Chorus & ntl (UPC) . . . there is common problem with different grounds in cables

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  13. rayfitzharris

rayfitzharris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You were right,
    ps3 earthed, hdmi disconnected from tv = no hum
    ps3 earthed, hdmi connected to tv, cable disconencted from ariel socket = no hum!

It doesn't matter wheather tv is on/plugged in or not, somehow the mains hum is coming through the cable/ariel connector on the TV through the hdmi cable to the amp and being output through the speakers.. or it's changing the reference/relative ground level of the amp.

the plot thickens..

14. rayfitzharris

rayfitzharris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just got the chorus analog channels.
    Do I have any other options, other than having to remove the cable connection each time i'm listing to music/radio blu-ray etc..

Thats not a solution that her indoors will accept!

any such thing as filters/ground isolation for tv antenna/cable connections?

15. novcze

novcze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    That is not solution, but you must somehow find where problem is first ;)

Exactly :smashin:

edit: something like this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/33-8700 but I`m not from UK or IRL so I can`t tell you where to buy.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  16. rayfitzharris

rayfitzharris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Grangely, yeah i'm based in Ireland no onkyo service or repairers here. (that I know of)
    €132 each way to ship to genserve with dhl, at that rate it would nearly be as cheep to buy another amp!

Nice build btw!

17. rayfitzharris

rayfitzharris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Excellent, Thank you novcze. Got my friendly neighbourhood cable guy calling around this evening with just such a thing.

I'll report back but i'm quietly confident that that's just whats needed.
    Thanks again and best regards,
    Ray

18. novcze

novcze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19

You`re welcome. I had same problem before.

19. BiKESEAT

BiKESEAT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took my 606 back to Richer Sounds last night, got another of their shelf and got them to hook it up to their ps3. Exactly the same problem, this was with just a ps3 via hdmi and a sub hooked up. Nothing else.

So rather than wait 3+weeks for a repair, i swapped if for a Denon 1909. Works perfectly, no hum or noise at all when turned up to max.

20. novcze

novcze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yeah, they must have real mess in ground lead.

21. rayfitzharris

rayfitzharris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi ,
    There's now a little inline 5mhz to 1000mhz filter on my tv cable connection and the amp is as quiet as a mouse. :thumbsup:

I have to wonder if this is all that's required for all the other poor souls out there with the ground hum problems on this onkyo
    or would this still be an issue on the "fixed" onkyo 606s.
    not sure what version my amp is (if it has b on the end of serial number) and I don't fancy pulling it out of its shelf again and dealing with all the cables to find out.

Anyway thanks novcze, you were spot on.

22. msephton

msephton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Where did you buy it? Richer Sounds have footed all costs for repair of my Onkyo HTX22-HD (which exhibits the same buzzing probkem). They or GenServe have my unit right now.

Which cable is this installed on? Coaxial TV aerial cable or Virgin Media style cable TV?

matt

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  23. eastley

eastley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  24. rayfitzharris

rayfitzharris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    it was bought from komplett.. they weren't helpfull at all..

It's on the coaxial tv aerial, i don't have any kind of digital cable or cable box just analogue cable..

25. DaveHope

DaveHope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but wanted to say thanks.

My TX-SR606 came from AV World Fareham (via eBay) so returning to the dealer was going to be a pain and I wasn't keen to return it to GenServe and lose it for weeks / months.

I was getting noise out of my front 2 speakers, but not rear. I initially put this down to poor shielding on the speakers due to how close they are to my display. When moving them 1m+ away from the display didn't solve the problem I figured cabling, so replaced that. I was now looking at either a speaker issue, or the amp.

Disabling the Audessey EQ as mentioned on the first post eliminated the noise completely. Thanks guys!

26. Radds

Radds
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have a problem with picture going black for around a second at a time randomly (sound unaffected)? I'm using a PS3 and Virgin Media V+ box both connected by HDMI. Seems to occur with no particular frequency, may not do it for hours then does it 5 or 6 times in about a minute then nothing again. Does seem to get worse when I switch to PS3. I've swapped out all the HDMI leads and found no improvement so it's not them and I've checked TV and that seems fine as well. Is it a possible sign of overheating?