Things I would like on 360

Aardie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok I have had the 360 for a week now and very chuffed I am too .... but (aint there always 1 or 2) :)

1: Create my own theme's and have some way of uploading it etc think this would be a great boon to the skinning community but I guess MS need to keep a tight reign on it all :(

2: Music Player with better Beat Detection aka Milkdrop on the visualization.
(anyone know of a mp3 level normalizer ? )

3: Only had 1 brush with Xbox gaming live up too now and there Definately needs to be some type of moderation from MS its kinda keeping me away for now.

4 Sleep deprivation Man oh Man I need some Sleep :rotfl:

Otherwise I love it too bits.

Roll on FN3 :)

Regards

Keith

P.S. Feel free to add your own quibble's

Re: Point 2 - Use MP3Gain - it's free, you can bulk update MP3s. Best MP3 normalisation software out there!

You can update the wallpaper on the 360 - not quite a theme, but a start!

As for LIVE - I agree, at the moment it's a bit hit & miss. It's the best online gaming experience so far, though, so at least we're movning in the right direction! :smashin:

1. The ability to connect to a network drive to play songs off it. This mediacentre streaming is a nice concept for some stuff but generally a pants solution compared just to going straight to the media.

2. The ability to capture screenshots and a far second, maybe even video clips from games to show and tell.

3. What is with the 100Mb network point??? Unless it is 1Gb and I am wrong...:oops: better check that when I get home.

Otherwise, this is the best gaming solution I have ever seen other than the one that I came up with in my head while watching the "Carlsburg don't do....but if they did, it would most probably be the best ..... in the world" adverts. Man, that gaming solution really rocked.:eek:

A 50hz/60hz switch on HD mode so that we can watch PAL recorded TV correctly :mad: After all, its only the whole of Europe that use it :rolleyes:

Not much point of pushing the MCE element if its basically flawed.....

What exactly are the issues when you use PAL recorded HD stuff (I don;t have any you see) :lease:

Golfpunk said:
A 50hz/60hz switch on HD mode so that we can watch PAL recorded TV correctly :mad: After all, its only the whole of Europe that use it :rolleyes:

Not much point of pushing the MCE element if its basically flawed.....

3. What is with the 100Mb network point??? Unless it is 1Gb and I am wrong...:oops: better check that when I get home.

Why do you need 1Gbit ? - I see no reason why the network port is slow. You cant upload / download media files to the 360 so what the problem ?

mark.carline said:
Why do you need 1Gbit ? - I see no reason why the network port is slow. You cant upload / download media files to the 360 so what the problem ?

My digital camera delivers 2.6 to 3Mb files and these take a while to display on the 360. Not entirely sure if this is only due to network. When I had 100Mb connection on my PC at home they were quite slow too. Now that I have 1Gb connection at home, they flash up in a nice timely fashion from the server to my desktop. As I say, I can't say if it is the fault of the network or the internal bits of the 360 but hell there is very little price differential now in putting 1Gb connections rather than 100Mb so why did they not just go for the future proof option.:confused:

No - (well not yet anyway) but you can stream them. Gigabit routers and hubs are almost the same price as 100/10 now and I too find it a surprise!

mark.carline said:

colinwheeler said:
My digital camera delivers 2.6 to 3Mb files and these take a while to display on the 360. Not entirely sure if this is only due to network. When I had 100Mb connection on my PC at home they were quite slow too. Now that I have 1Gb connection at home, they flash up in a nice timely fashion from the server to my desktop. As I say, I can't say if it is the fault of the network or the internal bits of the 360 but hell there is very little price differential now in putting 1Gb connections rather than 100Mb so why did they not just go for the future proof option.:confused:

Hmm i think you had a problem with your hub/switch or the NIC settings on your MCE PC.

All my digital pictures are around the 2-3 Mbyte mark and I can wizz though them dead quick when I use the right button.

Somepeople are forcing 100Mbs Full Duplex when the end-to-end kit doesnt support it and what you may get is a very very slow LAN.

With 100Mbits ethernet you should be getting at least 10Mbytes a sec providing there are no bottlenecks (ie very slow hard drives etc).

mark.carline said:
Hmm i think you had a problem with your hub/switch or the NIC settings on your MCE PC.

Nope, perfectly optimized (as there are no settings to be done on the switch anyway), at least as good as windows gets.

A question out of interest: Does anybody make 1Gb hubs? I have not seen one.

mark.carline said:
All my digital pictures are around the 2-3 Mbyte mark and I can wizz though them dead quick when I use the right button.

Which button is that? Not being sarcastic here. Right Mouse Button? I don't generally use MCE software to view the pics.

I use ACDSee as my viewer and with the mouse wheel I can now scroll through the images so you just have a flash of them at a sustained rate and with my photo collection that is very useful. Before it would be trying to buffer too much after a couple of images.

mark.carline said:
Somepeople are forcing 100Mbs Full Duplex when the end-to-end kit doesnt support it and what you may get is a very very slow LAN.

Nope, all the kit on either side supported 100Mbs Full Duplex and all monitoring indicates that everything is setup correctly. My network at home is highly utilised so the extra bandwidth is welcome.

mark.carline said:
With 100Mbits ethernet you should be getting at least 10Mbytes a sec providing there are no bottlenecks (ie very slow hard drives etc).

No slow HDDs, they are all new SATA drives with fairly clean runs through the systems that they are connected to.

Slightly over with clean ftp and no bottlenecks. Windows generally won't deliver these sorts of speeds because of protocol overheads etc etc. Saying that at the same time I switched to a dual core cpu on my desktop but am also driving additional monitors now so quite a few factors changed but on my wife's desktop I did notice a significant increase in performance. As well as that the backups that I perform every night now go much quicker.

1Gb has made a massive difference for me and I still don't see why MS was stingy and did not put 1Gb in the 360.

colinwheeler said:
Which button is that? Not being sarcastic here. Right Mouse Button? I don't generally use MCE software to view the pics.

i connect to my mce2005pc via the xbox 360 media center extender and just press the right arrow botton on the mce remote (which works with the 360)

the only device i have thats capable of 1000mbs is my pc and so i never thought a gbit switch would make much difference

perhaps what would be nice (back to the thred) is an indicator in the network setting which shows you what speed ethernet the xbox 360 is using

I am not entirely sure about the obscure code that my switch uses but it looks like the xbox is 100Mb connection full duplex. Could be wrong though but reading these little flashy leds while lying over the back of my couch is a challenge:D

Jordans Norks said:
What exactly are the issues when you use PAL recorded HD stuff (I don;t have any you see) :lease:

When you play back PAL TV in HD mode (480P/60, 720P/60 or 1080i/60), you are watching 50hz TV at 60hz. At best you might think that the lip sync is slightly out, at worst (when the camera pans rapidly) the picture judders badly. Try watching the Bill - I almost got motion sick!

Its a well documented short coming and won't get that much attention as NTSC use 60hz for all. You can get around it by switching the TV switch on the HD lead but of course, you lose picture quality.

Sorry - I get on my soapbox about this issue.:( Suppose its a small price to pay when you consider the extender is a excellent addition. Try matching that Sony.

colinwheeler said:
I am not entirely sure about the obscure code that my switch uses but it looks like the xbox is 100Mb connection full duplex. Could be wrong though but reading these little flashy leds while lying over the back of my couch is a challenge:D

My 3com reports 100mb full. Thats ample for HD streaming - should only use 12mb or so.

I would like on the 360,

1. An update which allows you to delete those bloody unatainable achievements like the OXM discs and games you no longer want on your gamercard

2. More info on the External HD-DVD Drive. I want to know what sort of picture it will give. Being HD it should be better quality than my dedicated Denon 1920 upscaling player? Does it upscale Stanard DVD discs like my player does at the moment? Plus a good price

3. Anymore problems requiring patches to be sorted out

The one thing I really want is the auto-run feature to be turned off!!!

colinwheeler said:
Nope, perfectly optimized (as there are no settings to be done on the switch anyway), at least as good as windows gets.

A question out of interest: Does anybody make 1Gb hubs? I have not seen one.

I use ACDSee as my viewer and with the mouse wheel I can now scroll through the images so you just have a flash of them at a sustained rate and with my photo collection that is very useful. Before it would be trying to buffer too much after a couple of images.

Nope, all the kit on either side supported 100Mbs Full Duplex and all monitoring indicates that everything is setup correctly. My network at home is highly utilised so the extra bandwidth is welcome.

No slow HDDs, they are all new SATA drives with fairly clean runs through the systems that they are connected to.

Slightly over with clean ftp and no bottlenecks. Windows generally won't deliver these sorts of speeds because of protocol overheads etc etc. Saying that at the same time I switched to a dual core cpu on my desktop but am also driving additional monitors now so quite a few factors changed but on my wife's desktop I did notice a significant increase in performance. As well as that the backups that I perform every night now go much quicker.

1Gb has made a massive difference for me and I still don't see why MS was stingy and did not put 1Gb in the 360.

I guess it was a cost to benefit decision. Equipping the XBox360 with 1GB port would not have cost that much extra, but it's still extra considering that the vast majority of home networks do not have Gigabit capability. Even down to the consumer devices available, gigabit equipment is still not mainstream. 100Mb is more than enough for the applications that MS have in mind for the Xbox360 (streaming media and whatnot). The data transfer rate is only as fast as the slowest node so why bother with the extra cost if the majority of your customers will not benefit? Home Broadband speeds will have to increase somewhat before the 100Mb port on the 360 becomes constrictive for xbox live.

What I do find stingy from MS is the size of the hard disk to the amount that they charge us for it! Sure it comes in a shiney plastic case but still, it's abit steep. 60gigs would have been better value for money from the consumers point of view (already taking into account they are the 2.5" SATA drives and not your standard size drives).

Good point! The HDD is definitly more stingy than the ethernet port although you may be able to upgrade it where as you will not be able to upgrade the ethernet port.

Just one little thing that if you look around at most MBs on the market now that have inbuilt ethernet, most of them are 1Gb so I think it is very main stream.

Dodger, I am with you on that on. The autorun is something they could do easily that would make me very happy!

colinwheeler said:
Good point! The HDD is definitly more stingy than the ethernet port although you may be able to upgrade it where as you will not be able to upgrade the ethernet port.

Just one little thing that if you look around at most MBs on the market now that have inbuilt ethernet, most of them are 1Gb so I think it is very main stream.

Yeah but its not just the motherboards, I've not really seen many routers and wireless routers / modems etc with Gigabit ports for these motherboards to connect through! Personally I don't consider Gigabit ethernet mainstream yet. Alot of commercial organisations don't even have it! (Including where I work :D)

I have not worked at a company for 3 or 4 years now that don't use 1Gb ethernet, at least in the data centre. Most will avoid it to the desktop as the threat of flooding the data centre become larger and many of them don't update PCs that often.

Wireless routers and routers/adsl kit etc won't have 1Gb for the consumer market for quite a while, as adsl/wireless speeds are no where near fast enough to require it. However 1Gb switches are not alot more expensive now than 100Mb ones and it is very much a device to device advantage.

Anyway sorry to have completely difted OT on this one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom