Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Thin Lizzy - Live at Rockpalast

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by PaulBoy, May 9, 2004.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Starved as I have been of Lizzy on DVD I was pleased to see this one which is one of a number of DVDS which are concerts from the 70's recorded for German TV (roll on 25th when Rory Gallaghers is released!)
    The DVD advertises Stereo 2.0 & DD5.1 but dont get too excited by the latter as it is what you would expect from a 70's TV show recording mixed into 5.1
    The concert which is believed to have been one of Lizzys last before they broke up features mainstays Phil, Brian & Scott as well as Snowy White on guitar & even a keyboard player!
    The set list is excellent - mostly classic Lizzy like Emerald Rosalie Cowboy Song & a few newer tracks like Desaster - I was especially pleased to see Black Rose which includes a Brian Downey drum solo - Total concert time is 112mins - I dont think there are any extras (?)
    I suppose this will have to do until someone get off their @rse & remasters "Live & Dangerous" for DVD
    Paul ;)

2. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The blurb says it was one of the last concerts, but it was actually recorded on the Chinatown tour, two years, and two full tours before the split. Interesting to hear 'Desaster', as a 'work in progress' version of Angel Of Death from the 1982 Renegade album (probably their weakest), and Black Rose, of course, is excellent, as are all the classics, Are You Ready, Jailbreak, Alibi, Cowboy Song / Boys Are Back In Town, a nice Sugar Blues, and the evergreen, Emerald. It also includes an painful version of the awful Trouble Boys, and I think it was a mistake to drop Still In Love With You, to replace it with the ghastly Memory Pain, which was, after all, only ever a B side.

The picture is not bad, but obviously a TV broadcast, and the 5.1 soundtrack is definitely clearer then the 2.0 sound, but it could have been mixed a little more consistantly. The guitars, in particular, the misfitting Snowy White, veer from being hardly audible, to drowning out the rest of the mix. Very nice beefy drum sound though, from the ever reliable Brian Downey.

As was said above, this is a welcome surprise as there is precious little of Lizzy live on DVD, apart from the dreadful Live In Australia effort, which looks and sounds little better than a bootleg, but I agree, what we want is Live & Dangerous!

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Simon6776 ... your assesment of the sound is spot on especially the variation on Snowys guitar - I downed a few beers & cranked it up & that helps!
    Like you said that Aussie show is really awful! watched it once & sold it for a quid!
    I hope L&D makes it to DVD its a cracking CD
    Make sure you check out the RG Rockpalast shame they dont seem to be releasing The Outlaws show which Phil Lynott mentions during the Lizzy concert ... Paul ;)

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, I was never that much of a Rory Gallagher fan, although I did have an excellent live album of his, which included some great tracks such as Brute Force and Ignorance, and Shin Kicker. Sounded really raw, but never seen it on CD.

Was there ever a film of Lizzy L&D, or is the best we can hope for a DVD-A, with the missing tracks (Bad Reputation, Opium Trail, Me and The Boys) reinstated, with an unedited version of The Rocker?

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Simon6776 ... Not sure if Lizzy L&D was ever out on over here on video although a search on djangosmusic.com brings up a L&D VHS (?)
    When I get the RG Rockpalast I'll be sure to let you know what its like (I have the Irish Tour DVD which is "interesting" with RG giving 110% as always but it's poor quality & I'm hoping for something a lot better with the Rockpalast DVD)
    Paul ;)

6. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    PaulBoy/Simon6776,

Live and Dangerous was definately available here on video and is my favourite live performance of all time by any artist. However, like you guys, I cannot understand why it has not been remastered and issued on DVD.
    My video has seen better days, through constant playing!!

Any info on the movie that was--supposedly-- in preparation on the life of Phil Lynott, starring Gary Dourdan from CSI ?

Brian.

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I remember the L&D video now. Isn't it only about 50 minutes? It would certainly be great to see it remastered with the rest of the concert restored in the original running order.