Question Thin Front and Centre Speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by calibos, Jul 12, 2018.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'm upgrading the livingroom 5.1 system to a Sony DN1080 Atmos receiver in the next month ahead of schedule because I have a more immediate need for one of the old 5.1 receivers that will cascade through the house as a result of the Livingroom upgrade. However it put my future plans for the Livingroom system in mind again.

The plan is to put a faux radiator cabinet along the screen wall with the top section containing the Roller and Mechanism of a DIY 8020 Extrusion version of an Electric Floor Lift Projection Screen. ie. Large projection screen comes out of the top of the 'Radiator Cabinet'.

Long ago I had settled on a KEF T205 or T305 5.1 Speaker system. The Front speakers and more importantly the sub of this set would fit within the 7"/17.5cm depth of the Radiator cabinet.

Having thought about those long standing plans recently I realised that you are paying a lot for the aesthetics of the KEF T Series but in my particular case they would be hidden inside a Radiator cabinet and not on display beside a large flat screen TV as is usual for these speakers. ie. I might have been planning to spend more than I needed to.

While the depth of the Radiator Cabinet is not set in stone,ideally I would like it to be as shallow and unobtrusive as possible so am aiming for an available internal depth of 6-7"/17-18cm.

Hence can anyone recommend some Front Left/Centre/Right speakers and Subwoofer that have a maximum external depth around that amount and obviously coming in at quite a bit less than the £1500-£1700 asking price of the KEF T205/305's

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Having the speakers, especially the sub, contained within a cabinet is far from ideal and will adversely affect the sound. If you want the speakers hidden away then consider buying some in wall speakers (can also buy in wall subs) that are designed to be used in enclosed areas. Both Kef and Monitor Audio do a range of in wall speakers so should be able to find something that fits the budget.

3. Davidnclearlaketx

Davidnclearlaketx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe something like these?

Attached Files:

4. Davidnclearlaketx

Davidnclearlaketx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Davidnclearlaketx

Davidnclearlaketx
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,571
    Cabinet - do you have a visual of what you are planning?

Projection screen - will it have an AT surface, will be pretty crucial in terms of correct loudspeaker placement?

Loudspeakers - as per PSM1 you should be considering 'installation' loudspeakers, not necessarily less money then your indicated budget but better suited to your application.

Joe

7. miguelbarroso

miguelbarroso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    You have the Monitor Audio Radius 225, with 67mm depth and that don't have rear ports - in you case is a very good thing. Or if you are able to find the now discontinued Radius 250HD, that are better than the 225, very similar in size but with 105mm depth

8. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

Audio Perfection is not the goal. I'm prepared to make audio compromises. A Stealth Livingroom 5.1.2 system is the main goal.

Will be modeling the room and Faux Radiator/Speaker/Motorised Screen Cabinet in sketchup next chance I get.

9. Droidz

Droidz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    check out the XTZ Spirit 2's. They measure 200 x 350 x 120 mm (W x H x D) / 7.9 x 13.9 x 4.8"
    Real quality speakers, 390 euro's per pair. Pretty sure you can buy them individually as well, this is just the specs from the online eu store. Available in matte black or white finish.