Thin centre speaker suggestions, between TV and Fireplace

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by CaPo, Mar 3, 2013.

1. CaPo

CaPo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    In the process of moving into a new house just now, and due to the room layout the plasma is going to need to go above the fireplace. (The fire is more for show, low power electric one that wont be used often.)
    Due to this it looks like ill need to change out my centre speaker, currently using Acoustic Energy Aegis Evos all round, the centre is pretty big with rear facing ports and theres no chance it will sit on the fireplace.
    So, looking to take the oppurtunity to upgrade, decent looking centre, that is reasonably small so will fit on the fireplace, willing to spend £2-£300 ish, and it would also be good if there were matching fronts so I can upgrade them later on.
    Will be running through an Onkyo 876, mostly home cinema and Xbox.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
  3. CaPo

CaPo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    That looks ok, does the fact its so thin compromise the sound though? Something up to about 100mm should be ok for me, will need to measure up the fireplace. Ideally I would get something that looks more like my current Aegis centre but that is ok to fit perfectly on top of the fireplace butted up against the wall, so front firing ports would be a must.

4. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +603
    Getting a slim centre to match the evos will be difficult imo,you could try running without a centre letting the l&r handle the centre audio.
    You could try and source an AElite on wall to use as a centre but these have been discontinued should be a reasonable match for the evos sound and look wise if you have the grills on the evos.

Acoustic Energy AELITE On-wall speaker - AVReview News and comment

Regards Martin

5. CaPo

CaPo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Not too worried about matching as I will be upgrading the lot over the next few months.
    Right now im thinking Monitor Audio, the BX centre is about 17cm wide which would fit ok on top of the fireplace, its also a sealed enclosure so should be ok up against the wall?
    Would like to go for the RX but its a bit fatter at 20cm and may overhang.
    I also need to see how much height I have, the wall mount was already fitted by the previous owner of the house and ive not tried my tv on it yet.

6. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    I'm in agreement with trying without a centre and just have the fronts doing the work.

The problem is that whatever you get will most likely not be tonally balanced with the evo's and will be very noticeable or you be faffing about trying to get them to balance.

7. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
  8. CaPo

CaPo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Yeah, deep, thats what I meant, oops.

Measured up the fireplace today, and it looks like the depth I can go for is a bit more than I expected, got 23cm to play with.
    Will be bringing my tv out of storage tommorow so will get it up and see how much height is available.
    Leaning towards a full set of Monitor Audios now, had a full 7.1 with direct rear set up in the last place, but in this house the sofa will be set back against the wall, so im thinking a 5.1 set up with higher quality speakers using MA BXFX or RXFX rears depending on what I can afford, floor stander equivalent fronts and hopefully a matching centre to fit.
    Wont bother with an MA sub, will stick with my BK 200 and upgrade that at a later date for a Monolith.