Thicko question

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by andysher, Aug 6, 2003.

1. andysher

andysher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a newcomer to home cinema and just bought the Sony DAV-SA30 as a starter kit a few weeks ago. I set it up last weekend (didnt take too long even for me!)

I know this has been covered somewhat in other forums, but not quite my question. I have my Sony connected via a scart (its only got a scart out) to my TV (which has 2 scart inputs). My NTL digital STB (1 scart output, no other output/inputs on this machine) is connected via a split scart (2 scart leads running from the STB to the TV/VCR) to my TV (the other SCART input) and my VCR. I was trying for digital sound from my STB to my Sony but dont know how to get it. My TV is an ancient Grundig and when I watch digital TV through the Sony and have Dolby PLII selected I dont really get much in the way of surround sound. Is there any other way of hooking these machines up that would mean I'd get digital sound passing through the Sony?? The sony has RGB inputs but I cant figure any way to hook it up directly to the STB if all it has is 1 scart output) Any ideas would be appreciated.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Don't know much about the Sony all in type of systems so bare with me:)
    None of the NTL digital STB's output digital audio so you'll have to make do with the analogue output which is sent via the scart since it seems you lack dedicated twin phono audio outputs on the STB.
    Just like you can buy a scart which is split to give two outputs you can buy a version which also has additional twin phono leads which can be used to send the audio directly to your amp.
    While this won't be digital sound it should give you the best source for stereo and Dolby surround from the STB and DPII works best with a surround encoded audio stream.
    However if you are already routing the audio from the STB via the scart lead to the Sony there may not be an appreciable difference.

3. andysher

andysher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that,

Didnt know that the NTL STB's dont output digital sound, took it as read that they would! I think the scart with the addnl phono outputs is the one to go for (assuming that theres a lead that can split the output into 1 scart (for the TV and the audio for the Sony), spaghetti junction here we come!!!