1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thicko needs amp advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by damon, May 5, 2002.

1. damon

damon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've just bought myself an amp and speakers from Richer Sounds, and they rock. Denon 1802 and Gale Moviestar 5 (OK, relatively cheap speakers but they do the job for me). Managed to knock Richer down to £300 for the Denon too!!

Anyway, my question is probably a very simple one, but I don't know the answer and neither does my Denon manual. I know it's an audio/visual receiver but I'm not too up on the visual part. I know you can connect up the video inputs/outputs for DVD, TV, Video etc, but what exactly does that do? Does this have any effect on the picture from the different components? Why exactly do you hook up your video 'puts?

Also, are there any other 1802 owners out there? Have to say, I reckon the audio quality of the Denon is first class. Looks nice in gold too

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,371
    I haven’t gone this route so here is a guess. Hook the DVD and Video to you receiver for sound, but hook them directly to your TV with a scart. I would imagine if you do hook the receiver to the tv this may help you setting the surround sound up with on screen graphics.

3. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yep, I agree completely with Garrett.

no real need to do this, just stick to all video going into the TV via scarts, and route all your audio through the amp.

just remember to turn the vol down on the TV.:D

4. sofaboy

sofaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Yamaha dsp-ax 620, with this feature, and it just helps with the set up of the unit, which can be quite difficult if your just working off the front display panel....

:)

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    obviously though you will need one single video connection from amp to tv to do the setup.. after that you will use this rarely.

the denons are all onscreen, not much you can do without it.

6. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The reason for connecting all your sources into the amp are so that you can get video switching, ie when you change from DVD to VCR by selecting the source on your amp, the corresponding video signals will change. If your video connections are directly into your TV, then you have to change video inputs on your TV every time you change sources on your amp.