1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They're gonna cock it up again!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Harj, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Apocalypse Now! What a traversity the original version was on DVD, greates war movie ever, historically the making was a nightmare, the cast, what do we get? Nothing on the disc.

Now the Redux version is going to be released again with minimal xtras, no classic 'Heart of Darkness' documenty. Are the powers that be not aware that I went to a packed Universal cinema in Leics Square to see the the redux version, they not aware how huge this disc can be? Or how many ppl they are going to p**s off?

FF Coppola speak up and fight for a better disc, this film deserves more.

2. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I totally agree Harj.
    I was so disappointed when the region 1 version was released - I thought I would wait for the region 2 version in case it was to be any better, alas not!

Paramount tend to be one of the poorer companies for DVD anyway (apart from the Godfather Box Set!). They also tend to keep re-releasing the same films (eg Start Trek).
    As The Godfather was such a good (and popular) release I was hoping for something similar with Redux; maybe a 3 disc set with both versions plus the Heart of Darkness documentary!

Maybe in the future... :(

3. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I agree, the redux is soooooooooooo much better in the cinema, but I've got the original, and I've just ordered the Redux from that place over the pond I think it' s called a.m.e.r.i.c.a has anyone heard of this place?:D the DVD looks quite good!

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't understand you point Shoka! :confused:

We were just saying how disappointing we thought the DVD from a.m.e.r.i.c.a was.

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I was just making a point that the UK release was brilliant on DVD but the redux was a better film, Why moan about extras when the film is amazing, or if you want extras buy the standard release

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Shoka,

No offence, mate, but you need to pay attention. On R2, both the original release, and the newer "Redux" version of "Apocalypse Now" had zero extras! Not even a trailer, if memory serves. (Did they even have a DD5.1 soundtrack and 16:9 anamorphic print on them?)

Even when it came out on DVD about 8 months ago, VHS owners got a double-boxed set, with the film in Widescreen, and the award-winning documentary from Eleanor Coppola "Heart Of Darkness: A Film-Makers Apocalypse" with it on a second tape!

Paramount should know better! Why when many rubbish/second-rate films get double-disc sets, could Paramount not do a double-disc set for "Apocalypse Now: Redux", with the film on disc 1, and at least the "Heart Of Darkness" documentary on the second?! I mean, it's not as if they would have had to invest huge sums of money in paying to make new behind-the-scenes material, is it?!

Personally, I think Paramount should be held accountable, not just to the DVD buying public, but to Mr Francis Ford Coppola himself, as to why they are releasing a frill-free, bare-bones disc for such an amazing film!

Pooch

P.S. Can anyone confirm something for me? "Redux" was reclassified as a "15" certificate for the UK cinemas, but all pre-release DVD promotional materials and packaging have got it listed as being an "18". Is this just a cautious error on Paramount's part, or has the film had its video/DVD certificate increased to take into account "viewing in the home"?!

7. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've always say to 1st timers to the film that watching it is an experience, u never come out saying it was good or bad, and am always right. But the background of making the movie wwas just as interesting, heres what i remember.

1) Harvey Keitel getting sacked from lead role
    2) Martin Sheens breakdown (real one) being shot on film.
    3) Coppola having a breakdown/heart atttack.
    4) The war going on in Phillipines at the time of shooting.
    5) Brando refusing to learn his lines.
    6) Denis Hopper, well enough said!
    Theres so much more, thats why a documentry was made about this film!

The making echod the films message of man breaking down, just as the book. I think not everyone is going to sit through a four hour film all the time, so u definately needed some xtras, I will not buy this disc yet, in the hope they will release something that can do it justice.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My R2 original Apocalypse Now has a few extra's, Trailer, extended credit sequence with commentary and a few other bits and bobs. Nothing to get excited about, but who cares when the film is of such quality?

It is pretty obvious, is it not, what is going on here? A bare boned disc, followed by a double disc loaded with extra's in about 6 months time?

9. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    just be greatful he never decided to make a sequal....

You'd get all excited about it and then discover he'd cast his daugter in the role of the mad general.....

10. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +858
    You might want to hold fire as talk over at Home Theater Forum revealed there's supposed to be a Redux SE released in the states around the end of the year as a 2 disc set. I remember them saying there's supposed to be a commentary on there aswell as the Hearts Of Darkness documentary (which incidentally can be found in vhs bargain bins for as little as £2 these days). Whether this SE will make it across the pond is another question all together, though.

11. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34

I think it will somehow it will!:D