Theydon's Perpetual HTPC Build

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Theydon Bois, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    Dunks, just been reading your build thread....I spend time on looking at all the parts and configuration of a HTPC, and theres someone like you who has built their whole house around multimedia setups! Spot on mate, and grats on the house and builds! :thumbsup:

2. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,444
    Just Installed and tried it and you're right dunks it does thanks.

One more for you now Theydon or Dunks if your still about..

Can media portal stream this to my PS3?

Thanks again

Sorry If i'm hijacking ur thread Theydon. Just really love ur MP set up and would love mine to be similar.

Chalky

3. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    Damn you Theydon-I've just ordered a new 1TB HDD and I'm going to rebuild using MP tomorrow (I was just going to use a backup from my WHS machine!)

It better end up looking like yours! :devil:

4. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    Going to have to defer this - I nearly went down the PS3/Toshiba HD-30 route for my Hidef stuff, but glad I stuck to the HTPC in the end. Try asking in the Software thread of these forums, the Media Portals Forum or Project HTPC - Sorry.....

5. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    Lol - If you ignore the fact that you are highly unlikely to get media or equalizer info working on your VFD/LCD*, Media Portal just gets better and better, and has a massive strong community behind it churning out mods and skins. :thumbsup:

I have updated my TVSeries background pics...I will get some screenshots and post them soon, and that will get you drooling :rotfl:

* Come on Soundgraph, get that iMon stuff working! Media info or Equalizer, I really dont mind which one you get working first, but I dont care to get RSS feeds of the US news :(

6. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    TV Series Plug-in

I was well chuffed that I got the fan-art working for the TV Series, and so I started working on getting the remaining artwork I needed. The post I made yesterday mentioned www.thetvdb.com, but the art work they have is more wallpaper like, rather than the backdrop effect you really need. Dont get me wrong, I am very grateful to all those who have taken the time to make them, but they dont 'work' correctly - the art needs to be shifted to the left, and the series name be prominant.

Look at my post #85 yesterday, and check the backdrop to Lost and Heroes, and compare them to what I have now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ghost Whisperer also suffers slightly from being centre focused, and although it pains me, I have changed Jennifer for a left focused and smaller image of her.

Where did I get the art from? Here. Either pick up a torrent pack, or if you have an afternoon of nothing, which I handily had one prepared earlier, you can browse through and cherry pick what you need.

Heres some I prepared earlier....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I use the Monochrome skin, its mostly black with white writing, so in the Terminator example above (go on, you know you want another look*) the text in the bottom corner that indicates season etc is missing.

Medium also suffers from being on a light background. It also lacks the Medium logo as well (the logo shown coincidently is a TV still picked up by the TVSeries plugin), and again misses the TV info being white on white. I kept it as its a stunning picture, and I may have to try and use my poor Fireworks skills to add it in later.

[​IMG]

The other thing to look for is that some of the art has shadow boxes that obviously relate to either a different view within MP, or another MCE app altogether, and you get an image like this:

[​IMG]

Just got a few more to find, and work out why some are not being displayed, and I think I am done tinkering with the TV side of my HTPC :thumbsup:

*Azzin - if this doesnt tempt you to the delights of MP, nothing will...:devil:

7. tinners

tinners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Nice.

For anyone on MCE you can get something similar (not as pretty though :)) with myTV

8. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Theydon, for the life of me, how do you get the episodes and info on the right of the screen and the fan art to show?

cheers

Duncs

9. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    You probably have thought the same thing I did - Within the Videos section, you can change the layout to Fimstrip, icon size or list etc, and then go to the TVSeries and wonder why you cant do the same there.

The reason why is that it uses a different xml file.

--------------Taken from Monochrome readme-----------------

4) Depending on which screen you would like to see in MP-TVSeries, copy one of the TVSeries.xml files from the MP-TVSeries\"Your Choice" folder to your MediaPortal\skin\Monochrome folder.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Select the xml file that is in the fanart folder that appears in the Monochrome 1.7 skin rar, and drop it into the folder as indicated. (I would imagine other skins probably have the same thing if they show that they support additional plug-ins like TVSeries.

The next bit also threw me - I could get the TV info to display on the right hand side, but no picture displayed. I had double checked the TVSeries properties, and it appeared that it was taking the fanart from the same place that it retrieved the banners from, www.thetvdb.com, hence this quote from me earlier:

My only clue was that the white large 'thinking' circle would display for ages in the centre of the screen. I scoured the forums, and people mentioned the fanart folder, but one is not created for you, so I trial and errored, dumping a folder in all the places where other folders get created (like the pictures for myemulator), until I got it.....

The path relates to Vista, not sure where it would go for XP.

10. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Theydon,

I go into the TV Series Plugin and the thin banner showing the 1 series I have on my laptop (Heroes Series 2).

When I click on the Series I get the large picture dvd type cover on the left, the episode on the uper centre and the episode list on the bottom centre. How does this get moved over to the right?

I have downloaded a 'Heroes' .png fanart picture/logo for the background like you have and don't know where to stick it!

Duncs

11. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    A) You are probably using the wrong xml file

B) You have not put the fan art in the correct folder.

Read my post above, it explains what you need to do, and the folder path where the fanart should go.

12. DpM

DpM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    Superb stuff mate :thumbsup:

Im hopeing to get the same kind of thing going one day when I have the time to tinker, but life keeps getting in the way!

Where do you get the fan art from? I need to get that terminator one its class!

13. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    A quick recap without all the pretty pictures distracting people from the information :cool:

TVSeries setup for Fan Art

:lesson: This info assumes you have are just installing an updated skin, or a new skin for the first time.

:lesson: The information relates to the monochrome 1.7 skin, but I think other skins cater for plug-ins as well.

:lesson: Note: The TVSeries plug-in for Fan art uses a different XML file than normal.

--------------Taken from Monochrome readme-----------------

4) Depending on which screen you would like to see in MP-TVSeries, copy one of the TVSeries.xml files from the MP-TVSeries\"Your Choice" folder to your MediaPortal\skin\Monochrome folder.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Select the xml file that is in the fanart folder that appears in the Monochrome 1.7 skin rar, and drop it into the folder as indicated.

Create the folders to make this path (this is for Vista, and I think is different for XP):

C:\ProgramData\Team Media Portal\MediaPortal\thumbs\fan art\

Fan Art

Where did I get the art from? - Here. Either pick up a torrent pack, or if you have an afternoon of nothing, you can browse through and cherry pick what you need.

:lesson: Dont rename the fanart - It must have the prefix 5 figured number, else it will not work.

:lesson: If you have more than one fanart for one series, it will take the first one.

:lesson: You do not need to alter any paths within the TVSeries plugin, even though there is a path that you can change to point it at the art (I think the XML file must reference it somewhere, although when I looked, I saw nothing :confused:)

The website above, but I dont think there is a search function. Its was only in the first few pages, so I have found it for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: Confirmed that the fan art path is correct.

14. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    I'm totally sold and the build is coming along nicely, however what's totally thrown me is what to download/extract and to where to get my TV Series plug in looking like yours.....:oops:

[Edit] - So now I've got some backgrounds that I want, what do I do next?

15. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    Can you get a pic of what yours currently looks like, and I will go from there.

16. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,176
    Have you created the path I mentioned in the thread above?

Is the art named correctly? (ie. 78890_spooks.png) The only important bit is the 5 figured number. It can be a PNG or a JPG.

17. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,444
    Hi again Theydon,

Well i got MP and the tv plug in and just messing about getting it all up and running.

Thanks by the way for links an little guides they've been a great help.

I was just wondering if you can help with a problem.

The fan art i've added for my tv series (Dexter) looks good when i save it to the folder but when it comes up in Media Portal its absolutely terrible quality like a tiny jpeg thumbnail resized to fit my screen.:(

How do you get yours looking so crisp and neat?

I'm basically going to whatever website has got the best looking fan art right clicking on the picture and saving it to the fan art folder.

Am i doing something wrong?:confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.:lease:

Chalky

18. Janusian

Janusian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Firstly Thank you again for the response, my build is progressing nicely. I am getting to grips with Media Portal and the Imon software. TV series to go in tonight, ahead of getting my new Plasma hooked up at the w/e! :clap:

Another question though. I have most remote keys working now, but I would like to update the 'Guide' 'My Videos' etc so that they default to Media Portal rather than Vista MCE. Whenever I try to map them in the Imon software, it says these keys are being used by Vista MCE and can't be changed. I am sure that this can be changed, but I can't for the love of me find how. Anyone any ideas?

19. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,444
    Please ignore my last question Theydon i've sussed it, And yes it was me being thick.

I was right clicking on the preview image :suicide: .Instead of clicking on image and then saving the large image.

Chalky

20. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
    I'm so close now, here's what my TV Series look like currently:

[​IMG]

I've got some more pictures which I'll get upped as soon as Photobucket comes back to life. :rolleyes:

21. Azzin

Azzin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,072
  22. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,444
    Excellent set up Azzin. Almost got my dummy run on my old pc up and running the same.

Whats Theydon started With his set up here. LOL

I can see this turning into something similar to the floating walls threads in the DIY section. LOL

Quick question pretty new to all this media stuff and was just wondering where you manage to get your heroes second series from?

Very impatient and see a few people have them. Will still Sky+ the new series on BBCHD tho.

Chalky.

23. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Fellas I'm stumped, could you give me steer on how you ended up with the TV Series looking the way it does, Mine currently looks like this:

[​IMG]
    Edit: Removed episode synopsis!!
    My folders in Media portal look like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where does the .png file go?

Which files should I put where?

Cheers

Mr stumped aka Dunks517

24. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,444
    Hi Dunks,

This is in the read me inside the monochrome folder do as it says and u should be fine buddy.

4) Depending on which screen you would like to see in MP-TVSeries, copy one of the TVSeries.xml.
    files from the MP-TVSeries\"Your Choice" folder to your MediaPortal\skin\Monochrome folder.
    A backup of the one supplied with Monochrome is in the MP-TVSeries\Default View Backup folder.
    Have a look at the previews ;-).

Chalky.

25. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,444
    The 'your choice' being the fanart folder.

When u put it in the skins/monochrome folder overwrite the same one thats in there and it should be up and running mate.

Chalky

26. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Now I understand you!!! If I want the episode synopsis & episode names on the right then I need to copy the xml file from the 'Using Fan Art' folder:

[​IMG]

Into the Monochrome folder:

[​IMG]

and finally ensure the picture file is in the 'Fan art' folder (ignore the .xml in the picture):

[​IMG]

My Fan art folder was named 'Fanart' rather than 'Fan art'

Clear as mud!!!

Here it is in all it's glory!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for everyone's comments and advice.

27. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,444
    The fan art folder you created is only for the fanart you download and nothing else. Looking at your pics it looks like you have put the xml file in the fan art folder cut it out of there and put it in your media portal skins monocrome folder it'll ask you if you want to overwrite and replace the one already in there just say yes and that should be it mate.

Chalky

28. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,444
    Sorted Dunks:thumbsup:

Looking good.

I dont think you have to copy the xml file into the fan art folder tho mate.
    I haven't got it in there just in the skins/monochrome folder and mine works fine.
    But you know the old saying "if it aint broke"

Thanks again to Theydon for getting us all hooked on this set up. LOL

Chalky

29. dunks517

dunks517

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +516
    Cheers Theydon, now I need to re-rip my DVDs by episode and I'm now recording as many series as possible!

30. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,444
    Sorry to keep jumping up on this thread but where u guys gettings these tv episodes from.
    Esp Heroes Series 2.