Theydon's Perpetual HTPC Build

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Theydon Bois, Mar 3, 2008.

1. imilne

imilne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I've just moved to IR Server Suit (after using HIP for years) as I needed something that worked with a 64bit install. I use it to control NextPVR and TMT3 and it's working great. A little tricky to get your head around at first - especially finding the docs on what codes to use for mapping buttons to key presses (%{F4} for Alt+F4, ^D{ESCAPE} for Ctrl+D+Escape, etc), but other than that no issues at all. That's with an MCE receiver.

2. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    I will try IR Server Suite if I find this not working properly for me, thanks to both of you.

3. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Final updates..for the time being at least. The inside of my HTPC was left like this, missing the rear fan, internal drives not screwed in and the SSD kind of left dumped in the middle in a mess of cables.

[​IMG]

The outside of the case was missing the plate that fixes to the drive, and I had temporarily magic taped the infrared remote receiver to the side of the case.

[​IMG]

To start, I removed the hard drive bay once more, and then located the spare fan header hidden under it. I then plugged that in for the fan covering the drives, moving the existing fan to the fan header visible freeing up the one nearest the GPU. I then made a little mod to hold the SSD a little more securely then just leaving it sitting in the middle compartment. They are velcro cable ties that came with a PSU holding the SSD, linked via cable ties from the bays, creating a little hammock of sorts, so the SSD floats in the air between the two caddies over the routed cables.

[​IMG]

I then screwed the drive and the optical bays in properly, as I was sure I would not need to remove them again. I added the missing rear golf ball fan, and then tested the central bar, but left it off as although it cleared the GPU, it was by a few mm, so I left it off.

[​IMG]

Lastly, I added the plate that covers the optical drive bay to cover it all, and secured the IR receiver again.

[​IMG]

All done, and now to test with some Star Trek Next Gen, or perhaps a Firefly Bluray episode.

4. Wideload

Wideload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I've been using the same remote as you Theydon for a year or so and use LM Remote Key Map (free) to get it doing what I want it to.

Not sure if it's relevant to you as I use JRiver Media Centre in my HTPC but LM remote also let's you remap the green button to launch something other than WMC.

5. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    My pretend amp has slowly been dying a death, sound sync issues if the amp was left on for a few hours so I bought a cheap Sony amp from Richer Sounds.

I have reused my speakers but sadly the amp needs a line out while my sub had normal speaker wire connections.

I have it set up the same way through optical, and just giving it a few tests with some Star Trek Next Gen episodes.

First impressions? The lack of sub has not made an issue yet - my missus always moaned like hell anyway so it made the sound go up and down on her request.

Surround sound is much better - and it's not the cheap but infinitely better speaker wire that I bought as I didn't buy enough so one surround is cheap and nasty wire while the other is merely cheap.

The speakers can be individually increased in volume and speaker pattern so voice can be issued from the from three rather than just the centre.

I am sure an action film will make me mourn a sub, and hopefully I will pick up a cheap one at some point.

So, thumbs up :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  6. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
  7. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Just some software updates:

MediaPortal 1.5
    StreamedMP 2.14
    AnyDVDHD 7360

I then spent the next few hours mucking about with Event Ghost, LM remote to get both MP and TMT6 to work, but no joy..... so went back to Event Ghost which works perfectly in MP, but little use in TMT.

Not so bad as the play pause works, but not forwarding etc, no volume, the mouse part of the remote works fine though.