1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They Want You Off The Rail & On The Roads

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Garrett, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    The rail companies now say that because of the trains being full at peak times they are going to introduce a congestion charge.

So if this is not purely to make money, means they want you off the train at peak times.

Has anyone told them that the government are planning to do the same with cars and get them onto public transport like trains?

Or between the pair of them do not want you to go to work in the first place. :confused:

2. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    :rotfl: I saw that on the news this morning and all I could think of was "Now, will British Airways make me pay more if I fly at peak time to get out of this bloody country ?"

Don't worry, they'll manage to sneak through another tax for the privilege of working and having to go to an office !

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,338
  4. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    its a pure joke really...you can buy train tickets willy-nilly but at times you're lucky to be able to get on them...

I remember a few years back my ex and i went down to liverpool - we bought the tickets and got reservations for most of the journey - which included a few local trains...we got on a durham, some jock was sitting in my seat - I told him where to go despite him pretending to be asleep (well, I had to impress the woman!), and when I got on a local train - this again was chocca and some foreigners were sitting in our seats...he wasn't too chuffed when I tapped him on the shoulder...!!

5. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Err, well if you haven't noticed, have a look at air fares nowadays. Yes, peak time, short notice, you pay a premium. Has been so for donkeys years. In fact, as long as I have been flying (30 years). And even more so when the low cost airlines are taken into account. It's how they survive.
    So when you decide to leave, book 10 months in advance and you'll get a good price.

Let us all know when you're off, and tell us how much it cost you.

6. chard

chard
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    surely they do this already ? if I head into London after 9 am, it costs half the price of peak rush hours....The airlines also charge more for peak / convenient flight times.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,492
    Ahem, saw it when I came on to post the above but the subject was hidden in a thread on an other subject although related. :p ;)

Whats more I could not have been quicker seeing I was at hospital all morning.

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89

They certainly do, I've travelled from Newcastle to London and back 3 times in the last 3 weeks by train and it's amazing the difference in price if you travel outside of peak hours. This Friday I have to travel at peak hours due to meeting commitments and it's almost £200 return :eek: to travel from Newcastle at 7am and back from Kings Cross at 5pm.

John

9. Logo Hater

Logo Hater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    It's fairly obvious the plan is to stop people going to work.

Let's face it if taxes are raised much more, it won't really be worth going to work. so if they can put people off by crafty means such as this. they won't put peoples backs up so much that at the next election they get voted out.

I think is a very cleverly thought out plan, definitely up there with the other well thought out plans like lets cut out excessive drinking by opening the pubs and bars for 24 hours per day.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :hiya: :hiya: