1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They don't make um like they used to!!!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by dickz, Apr 15, 2003.

1. dickz

dickz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Guys,

What is going on in the movie industry, there is some much low and high budget tat being produced IMHO. Now the following comments are bound to stir up some controversy but just can't resist, all IMHO i must add.

Donnie Darko - What a pile of crap. Disjointed story. Thank god the wife didn't watch it or I would of constantly been trying to explain the plot. plot what plot???

One Hour Photo - RW what the heck are you playing at. Should have stuck with Mork and Mindy, although though Good Morning Vietnam and the World According to Garp were reasonable.

Training Day - Top movie, great to see Denzel playing the bad guy for a change, quality acting and well though out story.

One of my all time favourites is Leaving Las Vegas with Nick Cage and Elisabeth Shue giving excellent performances that all actors should aspire to. Give us more like this Hollywood!!!

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i enjoyed donnie darko and one hour photo shop it would be boring if we all liked the same;) ;)

3. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Donnie Darko is an amazing film, Got to agree with you on traing day.

One hour photo was a good film, nice to see Robin Willians playing a role where he isnt making a fool of himself. DOnt get me wrong he is a good comic actor but I think his roles in both 1 hour photo and Insomnia were fantastic, and very well acted.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All 4 films that you name above are absolutely superb.

Leaving Las Vegas doesn't seem popular with many, but it's a very moving film and, as you say, both Shue and Cage do their job well. Encaser was telling me some of the history behind the director/writer. I think he killed himself a while after making that movie. If I've got that right, it's a real shame as he was a real talent.

I don't have time to have a go at you for saying Donnie Darko has no plot, so count yourself lucky :D

5. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I own all four films but STILL havent watched Donnie Darko (sorry Squirrel ;) ) or one hour photo. I too really like leaving las vegas. I think some of the films that have been released recently have been superb. :smashin:

6. dickz

dickz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Another top movie that gets the thumbs up is "Road to Perdition" which offers great perfomance from Tom "does this guy ever make a bad movie" Hanks, an ageing Paul Newman and the bloke that plays PN's son, who I recollect is a Brit (shock, horror, gasp).

The only thing that turned me off about the movie was the predictable cheesy ending, trust Jude Law to spoil the end.

Won't even mention "The Mothman Prophecies" which also wins the golden pants award.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Enjoyed all four, pretty much in that order too.

8. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I really want to see One Hour Photo and Road To Perdition soon - are they good then? ;)

I think Training Day is a superb film. I didn't expect to like it but it was probably the surprise hit of last year IMO

9. dickz

dickz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Totally agree saw Training Day with no idea what it was going to be like, and was totally sold:smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good job they changed the ending for Training Day though. Have you seen the original ending on the DVD? It's so bad, I laughed at it.

11. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,477
    which is the original ending on the DVd? that same as the cinema?

12. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    This film was directed by Mike Figgis - whose most well-known other film was probably "Internal Affairs" starrng Richard Gere and Andy Garcia. Mike Figgis is very much alive and well! He directed a film called "Timecode" a couple of years back - notable for split-screen real-time action.

However, although Figgis wrote the screenplay for "Leaving Las Vegas", the man who wrote the novel on which the screenplay was based did indeed kill himself - although I think before the movie was a success. His name was John O'Brien.

13. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah it was a shocker. People don't realise that deleted scenes were deleted for a reason :laugh: And its rarely due to time restrictions...

IIRC the alternate ending was (SPOILER)

exactly the same but the officers (who we met in the pub in one scene) tried to persuade Ethan Hawke's character to hand over the drug money that he turned in as evidence :rolleyes:

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,489
    I thought Training Day was a great movie I did not know anything about it before I saw it so I was pleasantly surprised. Denzel’s, mate was weak minded though to be led astray.
    Just say NO!

15. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    best to keep it that way:laugh:

Tom Barr.

16. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, RL123 has already given you your answer. The original ending was not what you saw at the cinema. It was binned way before that :D

Knew it was something like that. Cheers :)

That wasn't what made it so bad, it was the fact that.....

(SPOILER: Highlight below to read)

They asked him to hand over the evidence, he says "No, leave me alone", so they say "OK" and off they go :laugh: :rotfl:

(END OF SPOILER)

17. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Of course :laugh: It's been about a year since I watched the alternate ending - couldn't remember the words.

18. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek:

Those first 2 were 2 of the best films I saw at the pics last year. DD was an amazing and amaginative piece of work. It rewards thought.

(was One Hour last year?)

Training day was pretty good but the weakest of the 4