Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Theta Carmen

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lowrider, Feb 19, 2005.

1. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you think it is worth to buy a Theta Carmen transport demo for the price of a Denon A11 new... :confused:

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Lowrider ever since I saw a used Carmen on sale from a dealers in the US for a Buy Now price of USD $1300 (Audiogon), Ive felt we in the Euro zone ( and especially the UK ) are royally ripped off for US high end products. Give me a Primare DVD30 (£1400 ex-dem) or Classe DVD-1 (£1500 exdem) with XLR AEs output before that. Or save yourself a barrell load of money and get a Toshiba SD-9500 second hand.

3. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This Carmen is not used, it is demo from the distributor in Portugal, with hardly any use, I looked at Ebay and Audiogon and most used go for more than $2000...

Also I think the Theta is better than any of the options you mention, as for the Toshiba... :boring:

4. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    It depends on what you are looking for, as the picture quality on the theta is not as good as an £800 Denon 3910, but the sound on the theta is better than the Denon, so depends on what your priorities are...

However, you could always solve this problem as I did (as to what to hook up to my krell system, that looks fantastic and sounds amazing) and spend £750 on modifying the 3910 to match/exceed the aural aspects of the Carmen - via a company called audicom.

M

5. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As you can see from my system, I care a lot more about sound than about image, I still have a TV... :rolleyes:

You are probably right that a modded Denon can sound good, on the other hand, I compared an highly modded Teac VRDS Cd player, supposedely much better than any Denon, and it didnt sound better than my Arcam FMJ, so I take mods with a pinch of salt, also, I trust the guys at Theta more than any DIYer...

Any way, with 60% discount on a demo, I have not much to loose, I say...

6. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    What do you nned the Carmen for ? XLR AES ? Hence mentioning the Classe & Primare, you should be able to get these for a lot less than a euro located theta (over priced compared to what our US cousins pay for them) but hey be my guest was simply offering some opinion, as for the Toshiba being boring I dont kow whether to be annoyed or sad for you with a comment like that.

ATB in your quest.

7. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I know the Theta also has AES output, wich I wont use, at least with my current Krell processor, and it will cost me the same as those Classe and Primare you mention, why do you think they are better than the Theta... :confused:

As for the Toshiba, I am a bit fed-up with those that say all players sound the same, not to mention that I tested the 220, when it was the "best" thing available for many in this forum, and it sounded worst than even a cheap Aiwa, and the image sucked too... :rolleyes:

This doesnt mean I am disregarding your opinion, on the contrary, I am answering to your arguments with mine... :smashin:

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Which is why I suggested the 2 players above which also sport that connection, Ive also seen a Primare DVD-30 for £1400 with a warranty ex-dem from a dealer here in the UK, I find it hard to believe you will get a Carmen for that, Not sure if there better but if you were thinking of using the Carmen as a CD transport (which Im sure you agree is a primre example fo using a Carmen with AES/XLR) then these 2 players are available and are cheaper - Ive seen a Classe DVD-1 for £1500. If your not going to use the XLR-AES of the Carmen why are you considering it ?

You should go and do a search on this forum about the Toshiba SD-9500 (seriously you should go read the last threads in this forum on the SD-9500), as it seems your basing your opinion on all Toshiba products on a 220. Which is cool by me if thats how you wish to come across. But if your after a stunning component prog scan picture then ignore the SD-9500 at your cost.

I think I'll bow out of this thread just now, as Im not arguing with you just giving you viable options to consider.

ATB and good luck with your quest dude.

9. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This Carmen´s asking price is 2400 euros, close enough to those you mention, and, as I said before, its demo, so first owner, and warranty as well...

I never compared with the Classe or the Primare, nor do I intend to, but I am sure Theta is more reputable in digital gear than the other two brands...

Why am I considering it... :confused: Why does anyone consider buying better gear... :lease:

And obviously I dont want the Theta to do prog scan, it doesnt even come standard, but I do want its optional SDI output to connect to an up to date external scaler whenever I decide to upgrade my display...

Any way, dont worry, I will test it in my system before I buy... :cool:

10. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Lowrider, I just spotted you other post about the Theta elsewhere on the forum, If the wording of that thread was here I would not have suggested the players above (would not have even bothered posting), would be helpful in future when posting you put the SDI (and no prog scan) details for example, and the fact you were not concerned about SACD, DVDA, DAC usage (AES/XLR) would save you getting posts from people without a full idea of what your actually looking for.

The main thing I would look at a Carmen is for a DAC transport - considered one in the past, but anyway Im glad I went a different direction and ended up with my SD-9500.

Good luck with your quest.

11. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I admit my question was over simplified, I assumed that asking about a transport that only does what it does would mean I dont need what it doesnt do... :blush:

But you are right, I just want a CD/DVD transport, even video wise, whenever I upgrade video...

12. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They sent me a dented unit that didnt work properly, clicking all the time during play, not to mention that it would sometimes close the drawer alone, even crunched one of my premium CDs... :(

Also the remote wasnt the same as on the manual...

But the sound was beautiful, much more dynamic that my DV27, and piano sounded perfect... :suicide:

13. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Near gear you have otherwise, 2 x Strata III's :clap:

14. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :confused:

I liked the Theta so much, I am taking the risk and ordering another one from the net... :rolleyes: