1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

These cassette adaptors.............

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Lynford, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Lynford

Lynford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .........so you can play your ipod on a car stereo. Are they any good ? What's the sound quality like please ?

Cheers. :)

2. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,361
    I was watching Top Gear the other week, asnd they were reviewing a new small car (can't remember what).

They were saying that it had been really well thought out, and noted that the stereo had a little 3.5mm mini-jack "So that you can plug your i-pod straight in".

Apart from YET ANOTHER bloomin' ubiquitous i-pod plug, I think this a great idea. I hope all car stereos are made like this in future.

As for those cassette things - surely the quality can be no better than cassette. Ultimately, the sound gets into your stereo via the cassette heads, and these will only be designed to handle the limited frequency & dynamic range of the tape format.

Not sure about tape hiss, though.

Steve W

3. freddyuk

freddyuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've got the adapter in my Jag and they only recommend using the cassette route if the car has a very good system in the first place.Jag has a decent system and it means all the remote functions work for the volume control.
    Sound is excellent.
    Crap cassette means crap reproduction.
    Using the FM transmitter can cause loss of signal and therefore loss of connection.

Freddy

4. jimrie

jimrie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the adaptor for about 11 quid off ebay and it works great - there's no hiss at all. Only thing is it's not in stereo.

I've got the HD3 and I found that with 'Audio out' mode on there was loads of distortion, so I just play it with 'Headphones' mode.

Would definitely recommend getting it.

5. sbradnam

sbradnam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got one of these from a couple of years ago with a CD-car kit. Very good with HD3 - no more faffing about with CDs in the car. Very useful, and sound quality is fine, as long as you have a half-decent car stereo system....

Makes the HD3 worth it's money as far as I'm concerned. ....Oh, as well as using it every day in the gym etc....robust, and very good. Using an empire.co.uk £14.99 case (originally designed for the HD1 I think) :smashin: to protect it....also very good.

6. mick's cat

mick's cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the noisy environment, cassette adaptors are very good - at least as good as audio cassette but without much of the hiss. Also worth bearing in mind though are the FM transmitter type of adaptor (eg iTrip, CarDock FM and so on), which perhaps don't give quite as good quality sound but again - given the environment - are fine. The CarDock type of adaptor that plugs into the car's cigar lighter socket has the advantages of keeping the iPod charged, and fixed in position (good for getting at the controls) at the same time.

Some cars are now fitted with a jack plug connection to the car stereo as already mentioned, and these give good audio, but with no control over the iPod (or other DAP) - and you still have to control the iPod manually.

Best though are the complete head units and adaptors (Alpine, and Dension ice>Link and so on) or the various new models of cars factory-fitted with complete iPod adaptors that provide full iPod control via the car's audio controls.