Thermostat Recommendations (Apple Compatible)

Downinja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a few years of living in a rental place whilst trying to buy somewhere we finally have a completion date (I will believe it when we have completed).

Boiler is a fairly modern Worchester Bosch, but sadly that is all I know at this point.

We are very much an apple family, and would love to change the thermostat to something that would work well with that infrastructure.

WAF is very high on this one, what would you recommend? Nest?

Not really an expert in these things but we have Hive Multizone and it works well with my iPhone and iPad

I have the Nest gen 2 Thermostat, so doesnt control the hot water like the V3 model does, works really well for us and as we have a townhouse we have the Nest Protect smoke alarms on each floor, the nightlight from these was amazing in the early years of our children being babies and needing night time feeds etc, sorry went off on a tangent there!

But yes the app works really well, not sure how it would be if your home offers multiple zones which ours doesnt.

Are you looking at a wired or wireless solution? I have Heatmiser neo and would highly recommend however it's a wired solution.

I have Tado, with hot water control and radiator valves. Wireless other than the hot water/main stat wiring. Good app and works well. Just note that it requires an 'always on' internet connection and a subscription. But also works with HomeKit outside of the main iOS app.

Are you looking for Homekit compatibility too? Maybe look at t Heatmiser Neo range (u g ther Neo Hub for app compatibility). Ye have wired, wireless, a touch screen stat on the Neo range, and ace hot water timeclocks too (although they are currently awaiting restock for twimeclocks at most suppliers currently).

Works locally when the internet goes down (as do Honeywell/Resideo Evo Home), and no once subscriptions. It’s well featured in terms of heating control application, and the app makes it easy to see how it’s working historically too.

Thanks all, the hive look like it may well fit the bill. Unit looks pretty and links with homekit.

I assume you need the version with hub?

Looking for a wireless solution really.

Thanks all, the hive look like it may well fit the bill. Unit looks pretty and links with homekit.

I assume you need the version with hub?

Looking for a wireless solution really.
Yes, you need the Hub with it.

Installed a Hive a week ago. Massive false start (fortunately) on the networking side of things where I am comfortable. Spent 30 minutes on the phone to hive support who are useless.

Effectively the hub wasn't getting a IP address, so flashing lights and all that were going to make no difference.

Replaced it from screwfix and had the new one up and running immediately.

Home app does exactly what you want (siri & automations)

IMG_7744.PNG

Hive app does schedules and data logging (would be nice to be able to see more than Day by day without a subscription, but you can't have everything)

IMG_7743.PNG

Most importantly, the other half finds it easy to use on both the app and physical device.

Really please with it.

Was the hub 2nd hand as that would be why it wouldn't have worked as they aren't user transferable.

I've been using Hive for over two years and think it's great.

Nope, brand new in the shrink wrap from screwfix.

The one bit of advice I would give to anyone installing one of these is to install the hub and connect to that before you do anything.

I was in the slightly unfortunate position of having already wired the receiver to the boiler before I realised that the hub was faulty. Screwfix were good and just swapped out the hub. Hive were not good and wanted me to return the whole thing (yeah that wasn't happening).

Installed a Hive a week ago. Massive false start (fortunately) on the networking side of things where I am comfortable. Spent 30 minutes on the phone to hive support who are useless.

Effectively the hub wasn't getting a IP address, so flashing lights and all that were going to make no difference.

Replaced it from screwfix and had the new one up and running immediately.

Home app does exactly what you want (siri & automations)

View attachment 1761752

Hive app does schedules and data logging (would be nice to be able to see more than Day by day without a subscription, but you can't have everything)

View attachment 1761753

Most importantly, the other half finds it easy to use on both the app and physical device.

Really please with it.
You can if you link it via home assistant for instance. Logs everything and I’ve mine setup to automatically switch off if my doors or windows have been open for more than 5 minutes.

1665348796191.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom