There will never be a Kinect-less Xbox One, says Microsoft

Discussion in 'Gaming News' started by hodg100, Aug 22, 2013.

1. hodg100

hodg100
    Reviewer & News Writer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Are you sure this time?

Considering Redmond has performed more about turns than your average squaddie in the last few months, it was only natural people would speculate that they could yet produce a kinect-less SKU of the Xbox One but it seems they categorically will not be taking that path.

Having announced, only a couple of weeks ago, that the Xbox One won't, after all, require the sensor to function, there was some expectation that at some point down the line Microsoft would announce plans for a cheaper console package to rival the PS4's entry price but, according to Phil Harrison, Kinect in central to the One's ecosystem.

Speaking in an interview with CVG when asked if Kinect would always come with every system, Harrison said, " Correct. Xbox One is Kinect. They are not separate systems. An Xbox One has chips, it has memory, it has Blu-ray, it has Kinect, it has a controller. These are all part of the platform ecosystem."

[​IMG]

Harrison went on to eulogise about the voice control system built in to Kinect and how the experience of turning the console on with the command "Xbox on" would personalise the user experience. Since we've had multiple experiences of this kind of thing with Smart TVs, we remain unconvinced that it really brings anything to the party but we'll reserve final judgement until we get shout-time with the console.

CVG also quizzed Harrison about the possibility of Microsoft and Sky signing a content deal in the UK but he was non-committal, insisting that Gamescom was all about the games. How old fashioned!

Source: CVG

Attached Files:

2. Nostromo71

Nostromo71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +363
    "The command "Xbox on" would personalise the user experience."

What a load of pretentious garbage Microsoft talk.

I still can't figure out where exactly I'm supposed to put the Xbox One Kinect. Is there a base stand, that's hidden from view in the picture, so it can be placed on a flat surface, or is it supposed to hang over the top of your TV? I certainly wouldn't want it hanging over the top of my TV, as from the looks of it, that black bar along the bottom of the Kinect would hang below the TV's bezel. Also, does it have to be pretty much directly in front of you to work correctly? If that's the case, I would have to buy a new TV/Entertainment cabinet to make room for it in front of the TV, and I'm certainly not going to do that. Microsoft have pretty much done everything they needed to do, to make me never want to buy an Xbox One. They have made a complete arse of it, so when I am ready to go Next Gen, I'll be jumping ship to Sony, and I really would have prefered to stick with the Microsoft, as I've been more than happy with the original Xbox and the 360 these last ten years.

3. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,817
    It can stand as you see it. I believe you have to buy a mount to fit it to your tv. It also has a pretty wide field of view.

Failing that you don't even need it plugged in to use the xbox one.