There is no political party I can vote for

morenish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

(Sorry, I have gone a bit, but having never put pen to paper regarding my feelings of our political system etc. It doesn’t really flow, but it’s late, I’ve had a drink and it is what it is).

Can anybody recommend a party that I can vote for, which will, without question, address, act upon and fulfil the not so unreasonable criteria below ? (These are my primary concerns).

• Poverty
  • Addressing/Implementing concrete resources and measures to ensure the rightful and appropriate care for our;
    • Children
    • Elderly
    • Disabled
    • Sick
    • Homeless
    • Mental health
    • Etc.
    • Government managed, NOT by money making, private agencies, at the expense of the people).
  • A major wage review/ increase for our responsible;
    • Nurses
    • Medics
    • Ambulance staff
    • Firefighters
    • Police
    • Carers
    • Social workers
    • Etc.
  • More investment into;
    • Housing
    • Hospitals
    • Schools
    • Nurseries
    • Care homes
This list is, by far, not exhaustive.

People will obviously ask - where will the money come from ? Well here are a couple of possibilities;

The wealth of our Country is unevenly distributed, something like the top 10% own 50% of the wealth. There are obvious opportunities to increase the tax of these very rich. They have made fortunes taking from society, so it is only right and proper for them to contibute back into it, therefore creating a more fairer, and equal society, that I would imagine, is what the majority of people here want.
This has never changed

I am a republican and believe that our life blood should be stopped, from being sucked and drained by the richest family in the world. This, by itself, would address all and more of the above.
This has never changed.

A couple of other points 😊

I watched question time the other night, first time in years, all the parties were still trying to score points, still giving false promises, the same old repetitive hot air.
This has never changed.

Why are we so reliant on the thousands and thousands of charities ?
What would it be like without them ?
Bless their hearts.

Our voting system does not represent a true indication of the electorate’s choice.
A fairer and much more accurate system should be implemented, namely P.R.

I do know what people gave, in order to give us the right to vote, but…. I cannot, as, at the moment, I only see all parties representing the well off, the bureaucrats, the gentry and those in the higher echelons of society.

Labour for me, was the party of choice, never any other, but now they are a shadow of their former selves. They have lost their direction, lost what they originally stood for, their roots have been forgotten and eroded. They are, in no way, worthy of standing amongst the men and woman, who founded the Labour party. It was founded to stop suffering, to improve conditions, fairer pay and the human rights of the working people. They had their principles, fought with passion, for a more fairer, equal society. What do we have now ? A tory party MK2.
Most elections talk about the many low turnouts. Perhaps, like me, these people that decline to vote, have become totally disillusioned. Why bother, when there is no party that supports your ideologies.

Hear from you soon, I’ve no doubt 😊

This is where I’m being drawn to Green Party Policy
Thanks, yes, I was also going to suggest Green too.

People think they're just concerned with the Environment and nothing else, but they do have a joined-up and holistic view of society and the way it is organised and managed.

Of course, it is easy to promise the world before you're elected, and after that you have to deal with the bloody Treasury!

And no Party is perfect, there will always be winners and losers and radical change will be resisted, especially by the wealthy and the media companies they own and use to propogate their message of greed and selfishness.

@morenish - I hope you manage to find someone who you feel represents your best interests and those of wider society, not just a tiny percentage at the top who never seem satisfied with what they have and always want more for themselves.

Last edited:
This is where I’m being drawn to Green Party Policy
Judge,

I totally respect the Green Party and what they stand for. I just want a Party that can address the above issues, with strength, belief, determination and passion, that will attract the many disillusioned and real Labour supporters out there.

Thank you for your response.

Thank you Derek,

I appreciate your message. 😊

These were just my ‘bottle up’ thoughts.

Probably reading too much on the Keir and Boris posts 😊

Only two parties can form a government, vote for the one that comes closest to your list (unless you live in a area where tactical voting is a more powerful use of your vote).

The Blair-Brown Labour governments addressed every one of those points. But no doubt you'll bring up Iraq or some other excuse as to why they cannot be brought into consideration.

Like I said elsewhere, "They're all the same" is one of the most effective arguments for the Tories that there is.

OP, I've moved from Labour to Green for my vote after decades of only ever voting Labour, for many of the reasons you state. You'll get abuse from others who don't want change but ignore them as they are not worth the effort of arguing with.

Only two parties can form a government, vote for the one that comes closest to your list (unless you live in a area where tactical voting is a more powerful use of your vote).
Completly agree. The idea that a party that has the second best chance of winning and a policy or two that would make me and/or my family better off but, because they won't give me everything I want, I may aswell either not vote or vote for a party that will never be in a possition to give me anything just doesn't seem like a very mature way of thinking to me.

I am a republican and believe that our life blood should be stopped, from being sucked and drained by the richest family in the world. This, by itself, would address all and more of the above.

I hadn't realised the owners of Walmart were blood sucking vampires

OP, I've moved from Labour to Green for my vote after decades of only ever voting Labour, for many of the reasons you state. You'll get abuse from others who don't want change but ignore them as they are not worth the effort of arguing with.
Or ignore this post and make up your own mind.

Despite the best intensions of the mods, someone will write abuse whatever you do.

The Blair-Brown Labour governments addressed every one of those points. But no doubt you'll bring up Iraq or some other excuse as to why they cannot be brought into consideration.

Like I said elsewhere, "They're all the same" is one of the most effective arguments for the Tories that there is.
Blair and brown were 25-12 years ago. Stop harking back to the past and look at what vision is being promoted by Starmer. Admittedly you’ll have to use an electron microscope, but there must be a vision somewhere.

No government can deliver this. Because it’s a physical impossibility. Nobody can point to any country in the world and say they have an equal society without poverty or wage inequality.

You cannot deliver this under any economic system available. Not possible, can’t happen.

The best models in the world still have raging inequality.

What we can do is reprioritise. But the fact we are a rich country is in part out of the push for free markets and formerly open trade with partners. These things sadly will require balance alongside many of the things in the OP’s post. The Tories get one thing right, that a strong economy is essential to be able to do any of this. It’s just they haven’t delivered one and if they did nothing would be changed.

Blair and brown were 25-12 years ago. Stop harking back to the past and look at what vision is being promoted by Starmer. Admittedly you’ll have to use an electron microscope, but there must be a vision somewhere.

Said the OP,

Labour for me, was the party of choice, never any other, but now they are a shadow of their former selves. They have lost their direction, lost what they originally stood for, their roots have been forgotten and eroded. They are, in no way, worthy of standing amongst the men and woman, who founded the Labour party. It was founded to stop suffering, to improve conditions, fairer pay and the human rights of the working people. They had their principles, fought with passion, for a more fairer, equal society. What do we have now ? A tory party MK2.

If I'm looking back to an irrelevant past of 12-25 years ago, how would you describe the OP, who looks back to the foundation of the Labour party 122 years ago?

Completly agree. The idea that a party that has the second best chance of winning and a policy or two that would make me and/or my family better off but, because they won't give me everything I want, I may aswell either not vote or vote for a party that will never be in a possition to give me anything just doesn't seem like a very mature way of thinking to me.
I agree that you shouldn't refrain from voting altogether, but there is nothing immature about voting for the party that most closely represents your views, even if it's unlikely to be able to form a government on its own.

I agree that you shouldn't refrain from voting altogether, but there is nothing immature about voting for the party that most closely represents your views, even if it's unlikely to be able to form a government on its own.
Depends on what you see as the purpose of voting I guess.

Like workers rights from day one, a less antagonistic relationship with the people we do the most trade with, taxing those with money more instead of those who can't afford to swich their boiler on, not allowing billions in fraud to be brushed under the carpet, that kind of thing?

Parties like the Greens, Libdems and whatever Farage's latest offering is called can promise you whatever they like as they know they will never be in a position of power to make it happen and the best they hope for is to influence whichever party is in government at the time.

I agree with the OP that Labour has moved away from it's traditional roots but as @theprankster has said, that was 122 years ago and society has become a lot more selfish since then. Thatcher emboldened the 'I'm alright Jack, pull up the ladder' attitude which has never really gone away.

People will empathise with the poor and disabled and say we must do more to help but when it comes down to paying substantially more in tax, like they do in Scandinavia, they backtrack and end up voting for the party that will look after them and theirs the best.

Me too in principle but I will still vote tactically for Labour to get rid of the local red wall Tory. The local Labour candidate was previously a very good local MP that I’d have every confidence in. The Greens can’t win here but I’d be delighted to be able to vote for a Green candidate that could.

Parties like the Greens, Libdems and whatever Farage's latest offering is called can promise you whatever they like as they know they will never be in a position of power to make it happen and the best they hope for is to influence whichever party is in government at the time.

I agree with the OP that Labour has moved away from it's traditional roots but as @theprankster has said, that was 122 years ago and society has become a lot more selfish since then. Thatcher emboldened the 'I'm alright Jack, pull up the ladder' attitude which has never really gone away.

People will empathise with the poor and disabled and say we must do more to help but when it comes down to paying substantially more in tax, like they do in Scandinavia, they backtrack and end up voting for the party that will look after them and theirs the best.
But for example our rates of poverty are very very similar to swedens.

I think the problem is that you can’t avoid poverty no matter how you structure your economy.

Me too in principle but I will still vote tactically for Labour to get rid of the local red wall Tory. The local Labour candidate was previously a very good local MP that I’d have every confidence in. The Greens can’t win here but I’d be delighted to be able to vote for a Green candidate that could.
My MP is Rachel Reeves. I'm definitely voting Green.

But for example our rates of poverty are very very similar to swedens.

I think the problem is that you can’t avoid poverty no matter how you structure your economy.
That's very true but at least the Scandinavian countries and Finland have very good , well funded social services and schools compared to ours.

That's very true but at least the Scandinavian countries and Finland have very good , well funded social services and schools compared to ours.
Again I think it’s a bit more mixed. The thing with Sweden as an example is their tax system is very very different to ours. They split between local and national tax and lower income earners only pay the lower rate local tax. I also believe we have NI, council tax etc on top which they don’t in Sweden afaik. So it’s not a direct comparison.

There is a lot attractive about places like Sweden and plenty we can try and replicate. Or find our own version for. But I don’t think it’s a simple panacea. They are a different country with a different economy.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom