1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There are no Flaws/Faults with the PV500

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Worm, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Several people post to all PV500 threads with statements like
    its official there this a fault with the PV500 or all sets have this flaw.

Its all totally untrue!!

If its official can they please show the link to the Panasonic press release detailing these problems.

There appears to be a small group of people who have taken it upon themselves to make "official statements" based on their own experiences with this particular set and thereby indicating that their problems are universal.

I hope prospective buyers realise this and dont let themselves be put off from buying one. These peopla have faulty sets.... lines , manic contrast, buzzing are all indicative of manufacturing proplems on all tvs not just this model.

I have had my 37" for 5 weeks. It has no flaws, no faults and is as described in the brochure..perfect picture from day one and no bothering with running in.. the picture has indeed got better with use and have used the settings in many configurations.

Many people have posted that they also have no problems and yet whenevr this is stated the " I know better brigade" jump in with doom and gloom.

It does appear that there are sets out there with some problems but please dont decry the people who have got a perfect one and question their honesty in stating this.

Regards

2. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Get ready to duck below ground, Worm...! :)

3. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed Tin Hat time Wormy...

Being objective, if people have issues with their sets they would appear to be within their rights to post to that effect. You are equally within your rights to say that your set is fine...

However...

I can't see how you are placed to comment as to problems with sets you can know nothing about... are they imagining the things they're seeing? People with problems with their set can highlight their problems without being know-alls can't they?

:devil:

4. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic will never bring out a press release with a list of reasons why you should not buy their product. That is commercial suicide. That does not mean the problems are not there for some people. The usual list of complaints about this set are not ones I have encountered. You should note that some users are going to strange lengths to 'show' problems, i.e. not using it as a tv.
    Having said that mine now does have a fault that I am in the process of sorting out. Image retention from freeview logos.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    thats a feature of plasma (see your owners manual) and what mode is the screen in?

6. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Exactly.. so why do the people who are complaining about so called problems do so in a manner that state all models therefore are similiarly afflicted and anybody who cant see them is dilusional!! :) They dont know my set so what justification do they have for making such comments.

People have the right to comment on their set , but dont have the right to say that because they have a fault everyone has that fault.

7. robo989

robo989
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I think it would be a appropriate for comment from someone who doesn't own a Panasonic PV500 or any other plasma for that matter...

1. There is some blatent bias towards the PV500 from a small group of people here, the language they use and the general impression they give is very biased - not everyone by any means, but there is certainly a group proactivly bigging up the set - for personal willy waving goodwill vibes, and to make themselve feel better about their purchase.

2. There is on the other hand a larger group of people who ramble on about problems on thier set - that they are more than justified to do - however they don't only do this they, see themselves as judge jury and executioner on the subject, kinda like mini hitlers againts the PV500 jews* I'm in no way comparing the 2 events so don't get ya back up please any do gooders!!!

Just what I see on the forum and been lurking about here for ages watching it all, I have no opinion on the subject...

But I definately have been "put off" by all the PV500 trash talk, but I'm still buying one this afternoon, so I'm not totally confident that these problems are as prominent as what people are saying - certainly not as widespread.

That said I'll see, who knows, I might end up with a stinker one and be on here in a few days reporting the problem - but I won't be making any generalised statements as more than a few people on here have...

Its pretty depressing to read all these problems and I feel more edgy than excited about ordering, I need a plasma (need?) and it seems the best one...

anyway, each to their own and its just my pov which is most definately far less well informed than most others here... :hiya:

8. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You expect Panasonic to officially acknowledge faults while they don´t give a workaround for those flaws? - don´t be ridiculous! :suicide:

It´s fine with me that you don´t have any flaws. But saying that these flaws don´t exist is just rude towards people who suffer from these flaws.

I hope you feel better after your posting. But it´s doesn´t change that the PV500 sadly has its flaws, some of which are by design. (like the auto contrast/gamma control that is driving people nuts)

9. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed Wormy...

(And I'd rather be in your position with a product I'm delighted with :thumbsup: than unhappy with a £2k purchase :( )

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to spare everyone from the barrage of righteous indignation on this thorny subject:

1. The PV500 is constructed with 2 separate (but presumably interlinked) circuits which drive the top and bottom half of the screen. When these are not well matched, or one is faulty, it may be possible to see the demarcation line between the two halves. Therefore one side is perfectly correct to say that the split between the top and bottom half affects every PV500, but the other side is correct to say that not every PV500 will show a line.

2. The PV500s have an Auto Contrast process, which (presumably) helps get the most detail out of dark scenes - Panasonic's USP in the plasma arena. It does not seem possible at the moment to turn this off (you can on the Hitachis). Some people see jumps in brightness in many situations (usually when a bright object suddenly enters the screen, or almost continually through Man on Fire), which irritates them. Others don't see it, or only see it very rarely. One side is correct in saying that the Auto Contrast 'affects' all PV500s, as it's a built-in process. The other side is equally correct in saying that it doesn't appear to affect all the screens equally, as many (I would say most) owners don't see it. Some suggest that it is constant on all sets, and it's just individual perceptions that dictate whether it's noticed or not. Others suggest that the sets where it's obvious are probably a bit faulty or incorrectly set up.

3. Some people have noticed an irritating buzzing from their sets that Panasonic engineers don't seem to be able to hear... It should be noted that the sort of Panasonic engineers that are likely to be sent out to anyone's house have a vested interest in being as deaf, blind and dumb as possible, and that seems to apply to other brands' engineers as well. I'm not aware that anyone thinks the buzzing is a universal issue, but this has been a general issue with all plasmas, and in this case doesn't seem to be that connected to the fans. There just seems to be something about plasma circuitry that makes it more prone that anyone would like to this. Best to just send it back.

I have no great expectation that this will stop the frag-fest, but I thought I ought to try... :)

11. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well put Sulis...

You from Bath?

12. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damn! Is it that obvious...? :)

13. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ita vero...

14. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Well thread has totally cleared up the situation for me then about whether the v500 does or doesnt have its problems.....

Isnt it the case quite qimply that EVERY plasma (and probably TV of any kind) has its strenghts and weaknesses? It's just the panasonic V500's get mentioned more because its so popular and in demand..............

15. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Stampax (curious name:)) - yes, of course you're right. To my mind the issue that Worm identified is whether the PV500s exhibit consistent problems - like the Pioneer's indifferent component performance, or whether they are individual flaws that are exhibited only on specific sets. Of course, if there are enough flawed sets then that would constitute a problem in itself, but that doesn't seem to be the case from the overall feedback in this forum...

16. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Where do you get your official information from then?

"It´s fine with me that you have flaws. But saying that these flaws exist is just rude towards people who dont suffer from these flaws."

Why do you class your version as more relevant than the one above?

Your PV500 is suffering from problems and im sorry about that but how do you equate that to my fault/flaw free set? How are you able to say that all PV500 are designed with flaws when they clearly arnt?

I just want an explanation for this all encompassing statement when there is nothing wrong with my set? Indeed the poll shows a fair few people with no problems.

No malice intended just an interest in these "official" origins

17. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobody said these faults are official. If they were, we´d have a solution to our problems.

The facts:

- some people see the fine horizontal line the PV500 has. I don´t see it in general, only once with a very special test pattern. So I can imagine how different people react to this... some are distracted and see it right away while others have to look very hard. And some don´t see it at all.
    One poster here has even swapped his PV500 FIVE TIMES and it didn´t help. So where does that leave your theory?

- the Auto contrast/gamma control is a documented feature since the G7 Pannys (aka Super Real Gamma System). Again, some people are distracted by this, some aren´t. For instance, my brother doesn´t see this effect while I can easily spot it on my PV500. So much for your theory that a fault is spottable for all people.

Make no mistake, I envy those of you who aren´t distracted by the Auto Contrast and I´m really thankful that I´m not sensitive to the horizontal bar. (though I´ve seen it ONCE)

I don´t quite understand why those who don´t see the faults are offended... be happy and enjoy your set!

18. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Im not sure what theories you are referring to?

And im not offended, just querying why i just say my set is perfect and acknowledge that some others have faulty sets. whereas you who is suffering some problems can make authoritive statements that all sets suffer them but we just don't notice . The PV500 is not the G7. How do you justify that your version of the quality of this model is the correct one. Why is my PV500 not the norm?

19. bowler

bowler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No plasma is perfect.

20. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get it, your Plasma is perfect. No need to take this discussion any further... glad your happy. Some are not.

Geez, if one returns his set 5 times and it doesn´t get better do you by any chance believe in a flaw? I do. How many times would you have to return the set until you believe him it´s a flaw that is on every set?

I´m tired of this endless discussion of owners that don´t see the little flaws the PV500 has. Just be happy you don´t see them.

21. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Dont worry mate,I was in exactly the same place as you and after reading about the problems wasnt feeling too optamistic all i can say is iam very pleased its a very good plasma.

22. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Same Horse, different Jockey, Cant believe this old story still going on.LOL

MY PV500 has done the contrast change X2
    I dont have the black line, no I dont have the buzz.
    Hey not been posting much just been watching my fine set. I have also purchased a 37 PV500 for the bedroom and have a a pedistal stand for sale.

23. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Correct as no plasma or TV out of the box is likely to be perfect. A few tweaks and adjustments down the line may help of course :smashin:

Saying it's perfect out of the box, is frankly talking neither official or unofficial :D

24. compo

compo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks like the people who are moaning have hidef envy as what ever way you look at it there is no better hidef set on the market at the min they are probably pione owners who thought they new better

25. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :boring:

I agree there is no better set on the market, at least I haven´t seen any better. (despite its flaws)

I couldn´t live without these beautiful HD movies anymore... (yes, I use the PV500 for HD)

So much for Pio-fans moaning about the PV500... :rotfl:

26. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What HD content do you use?

27. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    A screen that works in two seperate halfs (Top and bottom) clearly has a major design fault, as it will be hard to get the exact contrast/brightness in both halfs and will likely show a line on many displays. If they couldn't find a way of making the whole screen as one part, they should have had the drives working on alternate lines and so disguise this effect. I'm surprised panasonic didn't think of this problem as it seems blazingly obvious to me.

Also "auto contrast" that can't be turned off is another clear design fault.

It's not as if the product is aimed at the general public who don't see this sort of thing (like trinitron screens were). They are just making a rod for their own backs.

28. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow. Creating class-leading HD screens is 'blazingly obvious' to you! What's more amazing is that many other manufacturers are doing exactly the same thing: splitting the grunt work between two circuits. How astonishingly stupid of them – they must employ morons, when they should have got you on the payroll... [/sarcasm]

In reality, all HD screen makers seem to be facing the same problem – to get an increasingly large incoming data-stream to undergo ever-more complex processing and be delivered to a greater number of pixels, all at the same time.

I don't know what Pioneer does, but other manufacturers (as reported in the US) are also using the 'split-screen' approach. This makes for a magnificent picture, as the PV500 demonstrates, but does, as you say, have the drawback of creating a visible demarcation if the circuits ain't pretty perfectly matched.

One other option is the alternating line approach - sounds a bit like ALiS to me. Some folks like it, others don't. Ultimately, it's obvious that the Panasonic engineers decided they had the capability to match the two circuits correctly. Speaking from my own experience, there ain't no line on my set. Sometimes the reason that the public don't see something is that it isn't there...

I utterly agree with you that the auto-contrast thingy should be optional. It would have made this forum a much saner place :). Don't know why they made that decision, unless it is integral to the processing. Having said that, it's never been an issue for me – which doesn't mean I don't mind it, it means I've only ever seen it once in 2 month's viewing.

Time will tell if Panasonic made the right call on the split-screen thing. As more and more HDMI, HDCD, HD screens come on the market, we'll see who emerges as the Daddy. If there are a significant number of unhappy PV500 (and PHD8, I suppose) owners out there, it will indeed backfire. If it is (as I suspect) a workable process that has some production issues (and the fact that a very few people get this issue with a string of sets - which may all be from one production batch), then most of the people will be very, very happy all of the time...

29. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don´t think it´s appropriate to talk about my sources in here... but I´m stuck with it until HD-DVDs get available through retail. ;)

30. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont need the source, just what movies are you watching?

I didn't realise there are any out yet, a couple of obscure ones had been mentioned and some random people shopping in Barcelona :confused: