1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There are gone...

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Joelc, May 25, 2004.

1. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Attached is a copy of an e-mail I sent to Colin Harrison, John Mulcahy and Steve Harris, noting that I had previously sent a letter to Udo Zucker. Thought that some might be interested in the content moreso that the sentiment, namely that none of Colin, John or Steve will be joing IAG.

Colin/John/Steve:

I just learnt the unfortunate news, at least from the consumers’ perspective, that none of you will be joining IAG (which, as an aside, did not come as a huge surprise).

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank each of you for the hard work and wonderful products that you built for me – as always, it is much appreciated night after night as I listen to my kit. I do hope that you each find a new career path that you will find challenging and rewarding with the knowledge that your previous one is full of people who will miss your dedication, efforts, enthusiasm, and products as you made the world of high-end hi-fi / home-theatre something very special.

Best wishes,

Joel

PS. I do hope that IAG will work as hard you folks did in resolving my remaining “bugs”

Cheers,

Joel

2. dvdviewer

dvdviewer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys and best wishes for the future.

3. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Joel, where did you sent the letter to? I unfortunately never received it, maybe because I moved to Portugal on 1.Nov. 2003?

4. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dr. Zucker:

As:

(1) I did not have a follow up e-mail address for you (like I do for many of your former colleagues); and
    (2) I saw you posting over at AVS Forum

I sent you a "private message" over at AVS. Suggest that you access that forum and find my e-mail to you. Otherwise, I can go there myself and e-mail it directly to you providing you forward me an e-mail address, noting that my e-mail address is unchanges since we last corresponded.

Hope you and the family are doing well and enjoying Portugal.

Best wishes,

Joel

5. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Joel, I am sorry if I missed your message. I haven't visited the AVS Forum for a while as I felt that this forum here had started to become the inofficial TMA Forum. Therefore if you agree, I like to contribute via AV Forum if you think I can reasonably contribute. I hope this is an acceptable approach. All the best.

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Dr Zucker....I hope you'll find that the current unofficial home for TMA serves everyone well,and anything you can contribute will be(and has been)much appreciated.

Certainly having a forum outside of the official site was very useful during the handover from TMA to IAG,for those owners with problems,or in need of information.

Thanks again....

7. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dr. Zucker:

Fullly agree with you... that is why I am contributing here as well. That said, please let me know whether you are going to go to AVS Forum to my message to you and, if not, where you would have me e-mail it to.

Cheers,

Joel

8. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Alex, I totally agree. The former management team of TAG McLaren Audio decided at its outset that it wanted to offer a public platform to allow open and frank customer feedback and thankfully with the power of the Internet this was easily possible. Of course maintaining such forum required a significant amount of our time to make all contributors felt heard and we really enjoyed the fast and direct customer feedback. Naturally we didn't "like" all contributions the same :D [nor did all contributors like our statements], but it never occurred to us that we should stop our forum because of this pain. We even received -from time to time- a good "beating" for things which really were out of our hands and admittingly it became very difficult after June 2003, but that’s now, as we all know, history.
    I certainly would like to assist through this great forum, as much and limited as I can today, those customers who buy a TAG McLaren Audio product now or have so in the past.

9. Dr Udo Zucker

Dr Udo Zucker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi Joel, I have just sent you an email [I used your address I have from autumn last year] to get my current email address. I am looking forward to your response. Regards Udo

10. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Dr. Zucker... I received your e-mail and have subsequently e-mailed you back. Please advise as to whether you have or have not received the e-mail.

Many thanks,

Joel

11. fheller

fheller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    As I understand, there will be no userforum again on the IAG home page. So this will become our new home. Thanks Dr. Zucker for any assistance and presence here on this forum.

Kind regards
    fheller

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi all.

Yes I think he have a nice home here at least until the offical TMA/IAG site has the forum back (don't hold your breath). I just wish we could refer to the thousands of posts that the old site contained as much useful info was within it :(

BTW, Steve is still there for at least the next few days.........A few of us had a curry with John, Steve and Doug last Friday and a very pleasant evening it was too. Everyone wishes them well for the future whatever it brings. If anyone needs a seriously clever bloke to employ I suggest you snap them up before someone else does.....

13. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought that John and Steve did move to IAG…

14. Neale

Neale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only for a short while trhey have all moved on

15. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Welcome Neale, good to have you on board :)

Dominic

16. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,549
    Running a forum on a manufacturer's site is a very difficult job - which is why hardly any manufacturer does it.
    I mean the last thing any manufacturer wants is for someone to come on their forum ranting and raving about how bad their kit is. And while this is much less likely to happen with higher end kit like TMA's (where owning it is like joining an exclusive club), the likes of Sony produce kit which the most foul-mouthed oiks can afford. Ooops that sounds snobbish.
    If IAG are going to sell budget range kit then I would advise them not to have a forum.
    Infact I would advise higher-end manufacturers not to have a forum either since arguments about the techincal merits of this or that can quickly descend into unpleasantness.
    Better for manufacturers to collate the problems they deal with and publish a FAQ instead.
    Meanwhile this forum is here for as long as you guys use it.

17. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can confirm that there will be no TMA forum on the IAG website.

18. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya Mark?

Any word on if David is still considering a beta forum? I also understood that a general forum wasn't likely but a beta forum is altogether a different kettle of fish.....It would also send a positive message about TAG's future obviously......

I wonder if he would employ someone to grab all those useful bits from the old forum and turn them into a FAQ.......... ;)

19. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham

I can only but ask....

20. jbm007

jbm007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tag Maclarens product fall from grace....................

John and Colins are gone

Steve Harris will be a paid consultant as he might be needed.
    Major,major blunder on AIG's part. No hardware will ever work with out sotware.
    He was the brains of TAG products

No major upgrades planned.
    Put new lipstick on existing products.

No new product development except for possible add-ins for AV192
    AIG did something right : they employed the designer of the AV192

Existing distibution and resellers will remain for the time being.

Helpdesk personel were retained. That helps.

My thoughts are. Remember the good old days. They are all we have left now.

21. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TAG McLaren

International Audio Group I.A.G

22. Tantalus

Tantalus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am very disappointed that the archives of the old TAG forum are not going to be available? Could possibly Spectre get in touch with them and somehow host them / convert them to here?

The TAG forums contained a HUGE wealth of information, advice and opinions about not just TAG kit but hifi in general.

It would be really dumb not keep that off the Net - particularly for TAG owners.

Re. Spectre's comments about running a forum - Udo spent a lot of time answering questions on that forum (some say too much time!) but it was very much appreciated by a great many people. Despite some removed threads and heavy policing, I think the TAG forum was one of the best around - and had some great contributers (Graham from the Beeb, Professor Glenn from the USA, Peter from Hong Kong etc). Glad to see some of them pop up here.

23. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Exactly the point I made to David Patching........I assume he is still pondering that one.......
    I do feel that an IAG TMA general forum won't get the green light as it is a lot of work and a legal minefield but several suggestions here like porting over info and creating an FAQ from the ton of useful stuff are workable assuming someone has the time to do it. I think the old forum was essential for TMA to be able to sell product in a very small market, I have no idea how IAG think they can sell a very complex product without a technical forum but as most if not all the TMA staff (existing and previous) read this forum and contribute it would be the easy way out for IAG to just point everyone who visits the "offical" site here.......Look what "remote central" did for Pronto's, even the latest download firmware/software is on the site........
    I am sure IAG management are reading these posts, maybe they would comment to these ideas and show a bit of enthusiasm for some of them :lease:

24. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The forum is here,most of the old TMA forum users are here,and Dr Zucker is here...as you suggest,it's also very possible that IAG are also reading these posts,and any useful contributions will be more than welcome.

25. Neo X

Neo X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose it's not the manufacturer that gives meaning into a TMA forum.

It's all of us that are eager to learn and to share info that can make it meaningful. And if this is so, by the end we can consider it as our home, our "official" forum.

The rest are mere details.

26. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Nicely put,but if the manufacturer,or it's representatives can also contribute,especially on technical areas,then the forum is further enhanced,along with the manufacturer's reputation for an interest in it's product.

27. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Exactly.....I assume that by now many of the ex TAG (now IAG) staff have pointed those in command at this site for possible comment. I'm quite happy for here to be "our" home, but posts from those who are now driving the ship can only enhance the effect and frankly improve the prospects for the brands survival.

28. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've already left a message with Spectre asking if he has any objections to inviting comments and possibly help from IAG on this forum.

29. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,549
    I think it would be more productive if one of you guys approached them since I'm too poor to own TAG kit so I never visited the forum.
    From the point of view of hosting as I said before I'm happy to host files for download, and if the technical people at IAG want to share the forum database (something which they might understandably be reluctant to do) then I'd be happy to investigate importing it into this database as an archive.
    Although the most useful (though maybe most labour intensive) solution might be to produce a FAQ. Something which would sit nicely stuck to the top of this forum.

30. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    A line has already been dropped to the helpdesk....we'll see what the reply is....I asked if they'd be interested in contributing to help etc here.