Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Themescene H78 or Screenplay 7205?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by seanm, Apr 13, 2005.

1. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have had a demo of the Infocus, cracking quality but a tad too noisey.
    I have not been able to get one of the H78 yet, but I am aware its quieter.

Has anyone compared the two on image quality?

Cheers,

Sean

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    Hi Sean,

I haven't seen both, but RTFM on this forum has, and he sent the 7205 back, but kept the H77. He now has an H78 on demo. :)

The Infocus pjs tend to have brighter outputs which may be useful for rooms without total light control or for those who prefer tv like brightness levels compared to cinema levels.

The H77 will have a better black level but is also not quite as bright, that's not a problem if you have no ambient light in the room though. I prefer a dimmer projector to a brighter one and will even use a lens filter to achieve a cinema level of brightness, so if that's your preference, the H78 would be the better choice. The H78 also has a higher contrast ratio so that may be a factor for you as well.

Where are you? I can reccommend RTFM as someone to get a good demo from. He's in Horsham, so if that's not too far for you to travel, give him a call and arrange a demo. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

What screen size will you be going for? You may have to take into acount projector positioning in your room, so the lens throw may give one projector a practical advantage.

Gary.

3. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Cheers Gary,
    Unfortunately I am in the Midlands.
    I am going down to Ipswich on Saturday, and was hoping AudioVision in Cambridge would have them, but many retailers only tend to order them upon sale, rather than carry stock (which is understandable).
    I am hoping the guys at Creative Audio (Shrewsbury) will get one in, they are always helpful.

I have a relatively short throw, But both the infocus and themescene distance calculators say it should be ok on my 77" screen.

Sean

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    I think I saw a thread over on avsforum comparing the two projectors, so try having a look over there and see what they had to say.

Gary.

5. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Sean, when we have finished our demo room in the next couple of days we can try and get a H78 in for a demo

6. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Neal. Did you get a H78 set up for demo yet? I have both the H57 and the H78 on the 'must see' list as my next projector.
    Cheers, Rob. :thumbsup:

7. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    once the rooms finished i'm sure we can arrange this for you

8. doctorG4

doctorG4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had a demo of the H78 and while I cannot compare with the 7205 I can state that its so silent to be almost not audible. On the other hand is quite big in size (and the two things are related).

9. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I went for it.
    Got myself a shiny new H78.
    You are right doctorG4, it is a monster, but amazingly quiet.
    I can compare it to my Screenplay 5700 (previous unit) and it is so much better.
    I like the infocus range and their picture quality, but after I got over my honeymoon period with it, the noise frustrated me. (I had it surface mounted in a small room)

Apart from the Keystone correction, I have not changed any other values.
    It is projected onto a Vogue fixed frame screen (160x90cm). just over 8 foot between them and it fits nicely.

The other half has changed the living room decor to match my H78 and my iMac G5 now.

Sean

10. homeagain

homeagain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sean, I've seen the 5700 a few times at my mates and noticed obvious rainbows in darker scenes of high contrast films like 'Blade'. Is the H78 any better, assuming you saw any in the first place ?
    Cheers, Rob. :smashin:

11. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Thats amazing. Pictures required please. Congrats on the new baby H78.

12. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi Rob, fortunatley I dont suffer from them at all.
    And no one I know who has seen either has had a problem.

Cheers Captain Benefit, I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

13. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Glad to hear it Sean, nice to have met you by the way, would love to see some pics, we also have an Audiovision customer section if you wanted to post your install there

14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    Good choice Sean (IMHO). :)

With that screen size it should be plenty bright too!

Looking forward to seeing the pics - I think it's the first time I've heard that the decor has been made to blend in with a pj. Great other half you must have there.

Gary.

15. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435
    My father has a infocus 7205 on a 9 foot screen. The picture is excellent, good blacks, crisp sharp picture, bright etc. I have also tried HD via a HTPC and again the results were stunning.

He has had it for over a year now and I noticed the fan was getting noisey. My father contacted infocus they arrangd to collect the projector on monday, it was shipped to holland. Once in Holland the changed the fan, cleaned the projector and updated the firmware. My father had his projector along with a phone call and a list of the works carried out on Friday mid morning. All covered under the 2 year warrenty. I think that was excellent service. The fan noise is a lot lower than when he first bought it. It must be a different type or make of fan. Maybe infocus are acting on customer complaints. :)

I own a Optoma RD65 DLP HD2+ rear pro. I must say again the picture is very good on this set but I and a few other members have had nothing but trouble with Optomas very poor customer service. Their technical department is dreadfull and they never return calls. I paid £4000 for my display and it never came with a manual or promised adapter. I had to print my own copy of a very basic manual which doesnt cover all of the displays features. I have also never recieved a HDMI/DVI adapter which was promised. Nor has anyne else. But the worst thing of all is the Optoma RD65 can not display 60Hz without juddering. A major balls up, for a state of the art TV. Basically I cant watch region 1 dvd's without a HTPC and powerstrip or feed a PAL60 source.

Optoma have to be one of the worst companies I have delt with with regards to technical support and knowledge of their own products.

If i had a choice out of the two projectrs I would go for the infocus 7205 everytime as it seems to be produced by a far more proffesional company and the quality of the picture is outstanding. I would also look into contacting infocus in Holland about the replacement fans if fan noise is your main concern or worry.

:)

16. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    I have to say my limited experience of customer service from Optoma has been nothing but exemplary. Not only did I get a quick response to an email regarding the H78 upgrade, but I also recieved an invitation to see the new H78 with the Accounts Manager and the Product Manager who would answer any questions etc. It was arranged via RTFM and it was a very productive day. Extraordinary.

Of course this is very different to a repair, but even so, the fact that Optoma developed the upgrade at all must say something. They'd sold plenty of H77s and could easily have washed their hands of it but didn't, so I think that's good customer support (IMHO).

From a technical point of view, I think I'd prefer the higher contrast machine to a brighter machine, but that's just me. :)

Gary.

17. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

I had the same treatment. I spent a good 3 hours at their head quaters with Kevin and Steve (I think that was their names). They treated me really well. That was before I bought the set. After you buy the set its a different story. When ever you call everyone is in a meeting, no one calls you back as promised. If you do manage to get hold of a techie they havent got a clue what their own products can or cant do. From what I can tell Optoma dont invent, they just buy the technology and rebadge it and put it in their own box. This will explain why their techie staff havent got a clue.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176400

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171415

18. seanm

seanm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sorry to hear that Razor,
    Lets hope I have no need to call Optoma. (I did like the fact it came with 3 Year on-site loan-exchange warranty)
    I had a bad experience with my Toshiba Plasma (rebadged Panasonic) a couple of years ago.
    Although it was satifactorary resolved in the end, I would never buy a Tosh again, so I can understand your frustration.

Sean

19. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,435

Cheers for the reply Sean

Its not nice being ignored and messed about by a company you have just given your hard earned cash to. Lets hope that neither of us have any faults with our front or rear pros. Fingers crossed hey :lease:

I just had to post this info as I wish I knew this before I bought my RD65. :smashin:

20. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    My treatment was related to after I'd bought the product (December 2004), so is after sales service as far as I was concerned. The issues with the H77 seemed well documented and Optoma Europe investigated and resolved them via an optional cheap upgrade for existing owners. That seems good to me.

If you want even better after sales support, you should buy a Sim2. Not many Managing Directors (Alan Roser MD for Sim2 UK) visit customers houses and ensure repairs or replacements are done satisfactoraly. Of course, you have to pay a little more for a Sim.

Optoma UK/Europe don't make the products, Taiwan does IIRC, then it's sold on via their representing companies abroad. TI make the DMDs, not Optoma (or anyone else AFAIK), as well as some of the related electronics, and others buy it in. The same can be said of most of the products we buy these days so it's not unusual. Most lenses are bought in for instance, not made in house. The three current 3 chip DLPs all use the same optical engine and lenses, so even they are not made in-house by the pj manufacturers.

Talking of cloned projectors, I wonder if Mitsubishi has a similar upgrade for their HC2000 (clone of the H77 or is it vice versa??) which currently has similar issues to the H77. Not yet as far as I know.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but I'm sure that there are many similar tales to be found from many other companies if we were to look, including Infocus (as well as stories of good service such as mine). Sean's Toshiba/Panasonic example is/are another company(ies) we should avoid then. :) My after sales with a 3rd party company who were dealing with my Davis pj was appalling IMHO, though it was resolved in the end.

If the problems persist, perhaps you should contact Stuart Acey (UK accounts manager) direct and make him aware of the issues. He seemed interested to hear about the problems first hand and is one of the reasons he and their UK Product Manager Justin came down. Justin seemed well versed in the technical aspects of the machine and the upgrade.

As for front end techies knowing very little about their products, you can probably say that of most companies - I've even phoned NEC regarding an issue with the early HT1000 and they didn't have a clue, but don't forget that big companies make more than one product, so finding an expert in your particular product that is customer facing is not that usual in my experience. The actual repair people rarely come into contact with the customer so we have to deal with middle men which more often than not have never taken something apart let alone fixed it.

If a product has a fundemental design flaw, it has to be relayed back to the developing manufacturer I would think (Taiwan in this case) and then resolved, and farmed out to the world wide distributors. It's not as simple as having a fix done localy if a redesign or mod has to be implemented.

Gary.