1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Themescene H78 DC3 or Infocus 7210?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dealmaker, Jul 22, 2005.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

Been looking at candidates to replace my Sony VPL VW10HT.

Had to discount the following due to throw ratio (too long)

Sharp Z12000
    SIM2 - entire range!
    Projection Design Action Model One

and the Marantz VP12 S4 (my favoured choice) because of price.

This seems to leave me with the Themescene H78 coming with the new DC3 chip OR the Infocus 7210.

Anyone compared these back to back (albeit the current H78 version) and have a view/opinion.

OR are there any other PJ's I should be considering in the <£6k bracket with a throw ratio of circa 1.5 - 1.6 ish??

Thanks

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    dealmaker

I'll skip the reference to a DC3 equipped H78 - I think we've covered that one elsewhere :)

The best sub £6K projector I've used is a ThemeScene H78 with a Lumagen VisionHDP.

Like many Display technologies the hardware manufacturer has done a great job with the mechanics of this projector and if you want to see how good a job use an external Video Processor plus have the system professionally calibrated.

Best regards

Joe

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I think the current H78 has more contrast than the IF 7210 because Infocus tend to opt for a brighter output. So it boils down to if you want a brighter image (or you have a room that has ambient light in it or not), or a more contrasty image. Any light in a room is no good for a projector, but a brighter pj with a grey screen (with some gain) will work better than a dimmer projector.

Ideally you should try and demo them both so you can make up your own mind based on your own preferences.

Gary.