• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Themescene H57

J

jwm15

I have had one since November and love it to pieces. I shopped around a great deal looking at Sony HS20, Screenplay 4805, Sim Domino 20, Sanyo Z2 and Z3, Themescene H56a and the Panasonic AE700. After looking at slews of projectors I concluded that:

1) DLP looks much more "film like" than LCDs

2) The "screendoor" or "chicken wire" effect of LCDs bothers me more than seeing an occassional rainbow with DLP

3) It is pointless to spend more than £2k now as the technology is changing very quickly

So, I settled on the H57 and have not regretted it one tiny bit. Anything in particular you want to know?

-- J

K

kelaD

Thanks for that - In fact I bought this just a couple of weeks ago and am very happy. It seems to give the most amazing picture, and yes is more film-like than LCD pjs I've seen. Only thing is the outer shell is a little creaky and I crossed my fingers when I fixed it upside down on the ceiling mount! (It's still there.)

But the picture, contrast, detail and colour are fantastic. Rainbows aren't too bad at all - barely noticeable.
Can anyone tell me why captions and subtitles are so blocky. It's the same on CRT TVs off DVD and never happens projected in the cinema. ??

J

jwm15

Subtitles shown in cinemas are optically printed onto the film itself. This is usually done at a high resolution so the letters are distinct. Subtitles on DVDs, however, are digital overlays which are superimposed on the main picture. Because DVDs have limited space for data, the resolution of the text overlays is kept very small to minimize the amount of data space taken on the disc (thus allowing higher bitrates for picture). The downside is that the text resolution is generally rather poor, which is why subtitles can look blocky (particularly when projected).

-- J

K

kelaD

And I s'pose the whole caption problem is because they don't use the original hig res 'burnt in' caption because they make these DVDs multi-language.

Thanks for the info - hadn't thought it through til now!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom