1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

themescene h56

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by harrison49, May 29, 2003.

1. harrison49

harrison49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anybody got any info on this product?

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I believe RTFM who posts here has one on demo - I think it's less versatile than the NEC HT1000, and the spec doesn't appear to be quite as good, though I think they both have the same DMD.

Try to pm RTFM for more info and first hand comparisons between that and the other projectors he has.

Here's the Projector Central review:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/optoma_h56.htm

Though I have to point out that here in the UK we have a Pan European 3 year warranty, and not two years as PC states.

HTH

Gary.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The H56 is supposedly noisier, has a much longer throw and no proper component inputs. You need to use a DVI to component convertor which is a pain if like me you have both component and DVI feeds to the PJ (unless of course the convertor can accept a DVI plug and 3 component connectors - that would be clever)

4. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Themescene H56 [NEW]
    Price £2799.00+VAT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optoma's home theatre projectors represent quality engineering and a new life-style. They are designed and fine tuned specifically for use in your home theatre. The projector is formatted for wide-screen HDTV and reveals deep, rich colours, defining images in vivid details for the ultimate home theatre experience. Projecting large image that liberate your senses, Optoma's Home Theatre projector defy the conventional restraints of projection viewing, illuminating impressive blacks and colour reproduction. Balancing sleek aesthetic form with home theatre function. Optoma brings it home, a new life style.

"The Optoma H56 takes video performance to a whole new level. It is a beautiful product with very little to complain about, and as of this writing we are enthusiastically adding it to our list of Highly Recommended Home Theater Projectors."
    Evan Powell, Projector Central,
    March 27, 2003 (Read Review)

PDF BROCHURE

Includes Optoma's 3-Year Warranty

SPECIFICATIONS
    Display Double Data Rate (DDR) DLP™ Technology by Texas Instruments
    Resolution Native XGA (1024 x 768), SXGA (1280 x 1024) compressed
    Computer Compatibility IBM PC and Compatibles Apple Macintosh, iMac, NEC PC98 Series, Fujutsu FM Towns, and VESA Standards, SXGA, XGA, SVGA, VGA (resizing)
    Video Compatibility HDTV(480i/p, 576i/p, 720p, 1080i) Full NTSC, NTSC4.43, PAL, PAL-M, PAL-N, SECAM
    Aspect Ratio 4:3 Native, 16:9 Compatible
    Contrast Ratio (Typical) 2000:1
    Displayable Colours 16.7Million
    Brightness (Typical) 1,000 ANSI Lumens
    Projection Lens F/2.44-2.69, f=28.8–34.5mm, 1:1.2 Manual Zoom and Manual Focus
    Throw Ratio 2.0 ~ 2.4
    Projection Screen Size (Diagonal): 23.4" (0.594m) – 246" (6.25m)
    Projection Distance 3.7' (1.14m) – 32.8' (10m)
    Horizontal Scan Rate 15 ~ 100 kHz
    Vertical Refresh Scan Rate 43 ~ 120 Hz
    Lamp Type 200 W User Replaceable UHP Lamp
    Keystone Correction + / -16 Degrees
    Audio External audio only
    Weight 6.4 lbs (2.9kg)
    Dimension 10.9 x 8.9 x 3.3 inches (277 x 255 x 85 mm)
    Remote Control Remote Control
    Power Supply AC input 100-240V, 50-60 Hz
    Power Consumption 320 Watts
    Operation Temperature 0°C ~ 40°C / 32°F ~ 104°F
    Noise Level (Typical): 32 dB in Normal Operation

Uniformity 90%

Audio/Video Inputs DVI Connector
    HD15 D-Sub Connector (Component/HDTV)
    Mini DIN Connector (S-Video)
    RCA Composite Connector (Video)
    Communication Port 1 RS-232, +12V Relay (Screen Trigger)
    Standard Accessories Lens Cover, Connector Cover, AC Power Cord, S-Video Signal Cable, Composite Video Cable, VGA to Component Video Adaptor, Component to DVI Cable, Wireless Remote Control, AAA Type Batteries x 2, User Manual (Print and CD) + Quick Start Card, Warranty Card
    Optional Accessories Ceiling Mount Kit w/5M Cable, 30pin-DVI Signal DVI to DVI Cable (1.8M)

Optoma Themescene H56
    Our Price £2799.00+VAT
    Our Price £3230.08 inc VAT
    Delivery Time 48 Hours
    Delivery Cost Free
    3 Year Warranty Free

http://www.audiovisual.co.uk/products_projectors_optoma_h56themescene.htm

thanks joe.

5. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've had one for a few weeks now - been mightily impressed. Yes, it is a tad noisier than some projectors, but it's still not 'noisy' as such. The throw is no problem for my current room - I have the screen size I wanted with the projector in the perfect position, so no worries there. As for the performance - excellent. Really good blacks, great colours, good definition and it uses the new 6 segment 120Hz colour wheel that pretty much wipes out the last vestiges of any rainbows. Been very pleased with it.

If you are interested, there are some reviews here , here and here

It has a DVI and a VGA connector - the components go in via the VGA, either using a converter, or you can simply buy a cable with the VGA plug wired in already, so the DVI would still be free, in your case. See below:

[​IMG]

6. harrison49

harrison49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at connecting my dvd player,sky and a playstation to the h56, for best results what would be the best way to connect ?
    my dvd player is a panasonic xv10 and has got a scart socket,s-video but no component video out .
    would i be able to
    get a scart (dvd) to component (projector)
    playstation to s-video
    then how would i connect my satellite?

many thanks for replys.

7. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You are going to have trouble there whatever projector you decide to get. Most people would have reciever that they would send all the sources to and then a single output to the projector - this is especially worthwhile with pjs, as they often have to be quite a distance away from the screen and all the other gubbins, so you want keep down the number of wires. I personally have my PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, VCR and Sky all going into a amp that out puts a single svideo lead (consoles) and a single composite lead (VCR, Sky) that can be sent to the pj - the source is then selected on the amp. The DVD is currently going s-video too, but my new DVD player is progressive, so it's components all the way! :)

8. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Mr Bump,

I have just ordered the H56 having been blown away on a demo. I had set my sights on a plasma but nothing beats the cinema-esque experience from a projector!!

You mention a cable (component to vga) - can you offer any suggestions where one may purchase this please? I have searched but no joy. I don't want to buy a DIY jobbie and would prefer a branded solution.

Many thanks

Darren

9. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Darren! Good choice - I'm sure you won't be disappointed! It really is a great pj for the money!

As for branded component cable, I've not been able to find any yet - the pj comes with a component to VGA converter, so you could always just use that. Alternatively, if you have a DVD player with a XVGA output, you can simply hook it up with a long VGA cable - it's supposed to look amazing (the H56 has a native XVGA mode)! I'll let you know - I'm demoing a Primare V25 that has XVGA out - my room is currently in pieces, but once it's back up and running, I will try it out with a VGA lead.

10. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Great setup btw!

Is that a 16:9 OWL screen you have? That is one I have selected as it fits neatly on a redundant chimney stack!

DVD player is Pioneer 757ai ( at the moment :) ) so would be using component out. Would really like to obtain that vga-component cable for neatness as I will be mounting the projector on/under a shelf on the rear wall behind seating.

Glad you like your H56 as this is the only PJ that has convinced me NOT to go for plasma!

Regards

Darren

11. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
  12. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Nice one Steve, cheers mate!

Hope there's a UK distro!!

Darren

13. harrison49

harrison49

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mr bump
    i do have a panasonic sa-xr10 receiver at the moment for my tv but want to transfer my dvd, satellite and playstation to the projector?

14. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds like you need to input everything into the amp via s-video or composite and then run both a s-video cable and a composite cable to the projector - that'll work fine.

The screen is a 16:9 Othello Darren.

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Do Lindy (www.lindy.co.uk) not make such a cable?

16. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just checked over the cables that come with it and there is a 1.5m component to DVI connector. I've just given it a try and it works perfectly. Obviously it's far too short, but I think that's what we need to be looking for - Component to DVI.

17. diceman

diceman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have a themescene 56 and a Panasonic upscaling DVD player. I have purchased a cable that goes from HDMI to DVI. When I attempt to connect to the projector the H56 does not recognise any source coming in.

Is it possible to connect such a DVD player or a Blueray player to the H56?

Any help would be much appreciated.

18. JonathanD

JonathanD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Diceman,

Did you get an answer on this?

I too have an H56, and use both the DVI and VGA connections without any problem, so I would have thought you should be fine.

I will try my AV amp connected via HDMI soon though, as that in effect will upscale my DVD player's output in the same way as your Panasonic player.

I don't have a Blu-ray player yet to connect to can't confirm, but I was planning to but one and use it before I upgrade my PJ to a full HD one.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

19. andymax

andymax
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have had a 56 for a few years and was very pleased. We have not used it much over the years but it has developed a fault where it shows 8 groups of 8 vertical white lines over the picture. It is worse when the unit is cold, it initially showed for a few minutes after about 50 usage hours but now seems to be shown 80% of the time after about 200 hours total time.

Picture attached I hope.

Any ideas ?

Attached Files:

20. diceman

diceman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Jonathan

I would be really grateful if you could try and connect your amp to the projector. If you get it to work could you please tell me how you acheived this, what settings and cables etc.

Regards

Dice