ThemeScene H30A

N

newjohn

im new to projectors so some advice is needed
after reading many reviews etc i am thinking to get the ThemeScene H30A
would this be a ok choice ????
comments please....
i need a throw distance of around 3m and would like a screen of around 2m accross
(not diagonal)
the room has low light but not dark and i would need to mount the projector slightly off center is this ok. ??
my dvd player has an s-video output so i think this would be a good connection to use but how do i get a cable the correct length (6m approx)
what is the darkchip-3 as some reviews say the themescene uses this but themescenes website says it uses the darkchip-2 what is correct ???
your help/comments would be appreciated
or is there a better projector for around £1000
many thanks

FlyingBig

Standard Member
Using S-video would be a waste with the PJ, why not take advantage of VGA and hook it striaght into a PC and play the DVD there, the quality of picture will jump two times the quality. I have H30 and i recommend it as the H30a can only be better although mine is 4:3 and yours will be widescreen so abit of tweaking needed while using it via vga/PC but anything is possible if you use powerstrip.

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
The H30a at £1K looks poor value opposite, say, the Infocus 4805 which I believe has dropped in price (£800-£900?) because of the competition from HD LCD PJ's around the £1K mark.

If you are not bothered about high definition then the H30a or the 4805 will do a fine job. If however you are then there are a plethora of LCD PJs starting from £800ish which will give you this. Look out for the Sanyo Z4 and the Epson TW600 - just released and will be around £1200 - they both come with 3 year warranties too. I'd also recommend having a look at the Panasonic AE900 and Hitachi PJTX200 - except these manufacturers only give a 1yr warranty...PJ

Edit: You also mentioned off centre positioning, some projectors do have optical lens shift which will facilitate this (to a small degree) - look out for this feature. I'm not sure the H30a has this.

Edit2: As the poster said above, S-vid is not the best connection. With decent players with component/prog scan starting at £50 it may be worth buying a new player (or two!)

N

newjohn

thanks for your comments i now have a choice in mind,
Sanyo PLV-Z4, Infocus 4805, or the H30A.
i was thinking that DLP was better is this true,
the Z4 sounds good would i be better spending the extra ?
my budget was 1k,
i will only be watching DVD's so would i need to worry about HD,
still want a good picture,
and as my room is not completely dark would 850 lumens be ok, ?
i will be connecting my dvd player the outputs i have is
composite video
s video
scart
optical
whats best ?
im new to all this so any help is appreceated

FlyingBig

Standard Member
newjohn said:
thanks for your comments i now have a choice in mind,
Sanyo PLV-Z4, Infocus 4805, or the H30A.
i was thinking that DLP was better is this true,
the Z4 sounds good would i be better spending the extra ?
my budget was 1k,
i will only be watching DVD's so would i need to worry about HD,
still want a good picture,
and as my room is not completely dark would 850 lumens be ok, ?
i will be connecting my dvd player the outputs i have is
composite video
s video
scart
optical
whats best ?
im new to all this so any help is appreceated

Whether you get the h30a or infocus 4805 they will both have a component connection on the back so if your dvd player does not have component on the back then its time to upgrade. Component is 3 sockets with the colours red, green and blue. Don't confuse it with composite which is the worst connection you can get and it is 3 sockets with the colours yellow, white and red.

N

newjohn

so can i not connect to my dvd then or will i just get a crap piture
i cant spend out on a new dvd system as well as a new projector

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom