1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ThemeScene H30A

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by newjohn, Oct 16, 2005.

1. newjohn

newjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im new to projectors so some advice is needed
    after reading many reviews etc i am thinking to get the ThemeScene H30A
    would this be a ok choice ????
    comments please....
    i need a throw distance of around 3m and would like a screen of around 2m accross
    (not diagonal)
    the room has low light but not dark and i would need to mount the projector slightly off center is this ok. ??
    my dvd player has an s-video output so i think this would be a good connection to use but how do i get a cable the correct length (6m approx)
    what is the darkchip-3 as some reviews say the themescene uses this but themescenes website says it uses the darkchip-2 what is correct ???
    your help/comments would be appreciated
    or is there a better projector for around £1000
    many thanks

2. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Using S-video would be a waste with the PJ, why not take advantage of VGA and hook it striaght into a PC and play the DVD there, the quality of picture will jump two times the quality. I have H30 and i recommend it as the H30a can only be better although mine is 4:3 and yours will be widescreen so abit of tweaking needed while using it via vga/PC but anything is possible if you use powerstrip.

3. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    The H30a at £1K looks poor value opposite, say, the Infocus 4805 which I believe has dropped in price (£800-£900?) because of the competition from HD LCD PJ's around the £1K mark.

If you are not bothered about high definition then the H30a or the 4805 will do a fine job. If however you are then there are a plethora of LCD PJs starting from £800ish which will give you this. Look out for the Sanyo Z4 and the Epson TW600 - just released and will be around £1200 - they both come with 3 year warranties too. I'd also recommend having a look at the Panasonic AE900 and Hitachi PJTX200 - except these manufacturers only give a 1yr warranty...PJ

Edit: You also mentioned off centre positioning, some projectors do have optical lens shift which will facilitate this (to a small degree) - look out for this feature. I'm not sure the H30a has this.

Edit2: As the poster said above, S-vid is not the best connection. With decent players with component/prog scan starting at £50 it may be worth buying a new player (or two!)

4. newjohn

newjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your comments i now have a choice in mind,
    Sanyo PLV-Z4, Infocus 4805, or the H30A.
    i was thinking that DLP was better is this true,
    the Z4 sounds good would i be better spending the extra ?
    my budget was 1k,
    i will only be watching DVD's so would i need to worry about HD,
    still want a good picture,
    and as my room is not completely dark would 850 lumens be ok, ?
    i will be connecting my dvd player the outputs i have is
    composite video
    s video
    scart
    optical
    whats best ?
    im new to all this so any help is appreceated

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whether you get the h30a or infocus 4805 they will both have a component connection on the back so if your dvd player does not have component on the back then its time to upgrade. Component is 3 sockets with the colours red, green and blue. Don't confuse it with composite which is the worst connection you can get and it is 3 sockets with the colours yellow, white and red.

6. newjohn

newjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so can i not connect to my dvd then or will i just get a crap piture
    i cant spend out on a new dvd system as well as a new projector