1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Themescene H30A VS' Hitachi TX100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dinoprada2003, Jan 23, 2005.

1. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    In my quest for a replacement to my Epson tw10h I noticed that the new
    themescene H30A has just been released with a spec that beats the mighty 4805! :eek: As these twp PJ's retail for around the same price £1000-£1100 Any thoughts on to how they compare in terms of picture quality? Rainbows and chicken wire effects aside of course. :p

2. Neelix

Neelix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    H30a has a 4x speed colour wheel compared to the 4805 5x speed colour wheel. A slower wheel has been cited has producing more rainbows.

3. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The H30A has piqued my curiosity too - I was all set to buy the TX100 - mainly because it's bright and can project a big image in my flat. Each technology has its problems and advantages... VB bothers me. Lack of shadow detail bothers me. Noise bothers me. Rainbows bother me. But I could live with any of them... (well, I still could do with some more time with a DLP) But the lens shift of the TX100 might just swing it for me. Decisions, decisions....

Also, the 4805 (I checked the InFocus literature and reviews) and the H30/H30A have 4x colour wheels (6 segment RGBRGB), so I'd imagine that rainbows would be fairly similar on these models.

I wonder if Hitachi have a new model in the pipeline - one with an automatic Iris like the Sony HS50 could be just the ticket.

4. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One comment I read about screendoor on AVS suggested that in a shootout between the Z2 and the InFocus 4805, on an equal sized image, the screendoor on the Z2 and 4805 was about the same (even though the Z2 has more pixels). This is attributed to the gap between pixels on DLP being much smaller than the gap between pixels on LCD.

Perhaps other people on this forum who have viewed 1280x720 LCD alongside 854x480 DLP can comment on the above.

Also, since the TX100 is supposedly much sharper than the Z2 (that's one huge lens!), screen door is supposedly more visable on the TX100 than the Z2, which would imply that in a comparison with the DLP models, the DLP models might be even better in this regard.

But this is speculation and nothing can beat viewing them for yourself.

I have viewed a 4805 in a light controlled demo room and a Z2 (owned by a friend) and the Z2 could handle ambient light far better than the 4805 which needed a very dark room indeed. But I still felt that I wanted a bit more brightness on the Z2 as well (I like a BIG image). Which is why the H30A and TX100 are so interesting.

5. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and the Toshiba MT200 might be worth considering for some people:

http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/Toshiba_MT200.htm

at around 900 pounds. According to the specs it's not as bright as the H30A and it can't throw as big an image. It has had some good reviews on AVS and has a 5x colour wheel (RGBRGB) compared to the 4x of the 4805/H30A.

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi Paul,

The fill factor of image from LCD is around 50 to 60%, the rest is gaps between the pixels. For DLP, it is 88% or better, so I can well believe the screendoor comment from avs.

Gary.

7. dinoprada2003

dinoprada2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hello Monopole :hiya:

looks like we are both in the same boat as regards PJ choice.I wonder if source would also play a part into what is more suitable for me? Im using a HCPC as I mentioned on my previous posts so I wonder if the extra res: of the TX100 would produce a better image for me than the lower res: panel of the H30a? Does anyone know if there are any A/V forum retailers out there is the london area who have the models in question so I could have a side by side look at them? pref in the sarf london area via a HCPC :eek:

8. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm 100% HTPC too, so for me scaler and de-interlacing issues can safely be ignored.

9. Skyav

Skyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As Neelix says, a slower colour wheel does risk higher rainbow occurence - my faithful H30 was in for repairs when Optoma supplied me with an older model with a slower (x2) wheel - yuk. Thankfully it was only for a week or so.

However, the x4 speed wheel on the H30 is very good - it also features a 6-segment disc, which evidently helps a lot. As a real DLP sceptic a few months back, I can honestly say I barely see them now. I just fallen for the depth and the rich colours...

I'm unsure as to the specs of the new H30a, but assuming it uses the same technology as the H30, any rainbowing would have been significantly reduced.

As always, the best thing is to see it for yourself to decide which works best for you. I guess we're getting spoiled for choice these days! There are some great machines out there at really good prices...

Skyav