1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

themescene 56: a baragin at £1700?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gorshin, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it a good projector at this price or is something like a sony hs20 better? Any advise greatly appreciated! :smashin:

2. family man

family man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask where you have seen it for £1700?

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Both are good projectors that will suit different people.....

ad

4. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    It's a bargain at that price, are you sure it includes VAT ?.

5. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We are lucky enough to be dealing with Optoma now,

Optoma have announced the H56 is now £1995 TSP with FREE ceiling mount! So I'm sure that deal you mention is genuine.

Tasty, tasty, tasty!

6. joe davis

joe davis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
  8. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Possible grey impport ??.

9. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ivojo are an indeed an Optoma dealer. Optoma just don't like to admit they sell to them!

10. JonathanD

JonathanD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gorshin, its a great value projector at £1700!

I have one to test just recently too, it stands up very well against the NEC HT projectors, and these have been firm favourites for a while.

I'd say for real cinematic quality, the H56 is going to give you a better picture than the Sony. But as has been said, its always horses for courses, with many factors counting on what's best for you.

Regards,

Jonathan

11. ntslik

ntslik
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Can you show me where on Optoma dealer listings they are!!!!

Also why on earth would Optoma not want to admit a genuine dealer

12. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hmm, I just tried calling them twice to try and help clear this one up and got an ansaphone each time saying that all their staff were busy and asking me to leave my number and they'd call me back (no option to hold). Got through on the third atempt and asked if they had stockof the H56, the lady (who sounded remarably similar to the one on the ansaphone) said she'd check stock and then it would seem sat there with her hand over the phone ( you could hear the hand on it ) before then saying to me she'd just been through to puchasing and their system was down and could she call me back in a few mins. I declined the offer and said I would call her back in 10 mins...........

13. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Ok well.... waited the sugested 10 mins and called back. the lady that I'd spoken to before said she hadn't yet been called back re stock and asked me to hold for a minute (hand over phone style again, this time even more prominent !!, friendly advice get a hold / mute button !!). Came back and said they didn't have one in stock but that they dealt with Optoma on a daily baisis and would find out for me and let me know when one was available. At this point I told the lady that I was more than anything wanting to just know whether one was in stock and also whether they were an Optoma dealer as thier low pricing was raising a few eyebrows / doubts. She assured me they were a UK product (not a grey import as I had earlier mentioned was a possibility) and once again that they deal with Optoma direct all the time. All in all not to bad a dealing and the lady was quite pleasent / helpful. If your just wanting to but the thing as cheap as possible they may be worth a try.

14. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Just received a call back from the lady at Ijove (must have taken my number from caller I.D) saying that she's just had a call from Optoma saying they have stock available to send to them straight away. Pretty good service in my opinion.

15. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Neil,

Optoma Uk had no problem telling me on the phone that Ivojo are authorised dealers.

I have no self interest in this issue but as a forum regular I think it's a bit "off" to have one retailer discussing the operations of another (particularly where there is the suggestion of "grey" imports) where the other retailer isn't present on the forum atm. to rebut/refute the allegations.

Sean G.

16. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Who did Optoma not want to admit to or was it just an assumption based on them not currently being on Optomas dealer listings ?.

17. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hmmm, I should apologise for my last quote on ntslik as I made it out that he was the member that said :
    "Ivojo are an indeed an Optoma dealer. Optoma just don't like to admit they sell to them!"
    which was not the case it was posted by Spasm and seeing as ntslik pointed this out to me by pm (to which I've replied and apologised) I thought I should also do so here for the other persons following to this thread.

18. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will justify my answer used to work in the projector trade a while ago before moving onwards and upwards - Optoma never used to admit to other dealers that the supplied to them for reasons I won't divulge. It seems apparent that is wasn't just my company that was fobbed off!

Any how I'm sure the service Ivojo give is lovely, it was no means a slur on there name!

19. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Going back to the question this poor guy asked H56 or HS20?
    To be honest mate view the H56 if you dont see any rainbows then its the better choice i would say

20. womble9

womble9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Fair comment Docta I agree this thread has bearly touched on it's original subject and I'm as guilty as any :blush: especially seeing as I now own a H56 !. My advice would also be to try both and if the rainbow effect is not an issue then I think you'll be pretty hard pushed to find fault with the H56. I used to own a H50 and when I bought it from Sevenoaks Leeds I also took a look at a Sharp LCD projector. The problem with the Sharp for me was the chicken wire effect which to me was clearly visable at viewing distance. I was only able to notice rainbows on the H50 when the salesman told me about them and re played a scene time and time again on which he could see them, after a while and only on that particular scene whilst making my eyes dart around the whole screen like watching a super fast game of Pong was I able to see them and never have since in nearly two years of ownership, neither it should be added has anyone else who's viewed the projector.