Quantcast

Themes, WebOS gallery

totsubo

Novice Member
My new LG OLED TV has a gallery app which I really like. It displays some amazing 4K pictures, and artwork. It has “themes”, each with a separate set of things to display.

Two questions:

The app will loop through all the photos/pictures in the theme over and over. Is there a way to just display one picture and not loop?

There is theme called “my themes” but it is empty. How do I generate my own theme?

Thanks!

sagaris99

My new LG OLED TV has a gallery app which I really like. It displays some amazing 4K pictures, and artwork. It has “themes”, each with a separate set of things to display.

Two questions:

The app will loop through all the photos/pictures in the theme over and over. Is there a way to just display one picture and not loop?

There is theme called “my themes” but it is empty. How do I generate my own theme?

Thanks!
1. No, unfortunately you can’t have it hold one picture in the screen permanently. This is to avoid image retention, with the same image static on the screen for too long.

My gallery I believe requires you to put .jpg files onto a usb stick (your own pictures) for it to cycle through. Don’t be tempted just to put one on there and leave it on that one image.

totsubo

Novice Member
1. No, unfortunately you can’t have it hold one picture in the screen permanently. This is to avoid image retention, with the same image static on the screen for too long.
I thought the newer models were less prone to image retention, no? But probably better safe than sorry I guess. Is there a minimum time that I should be safe for, say if I leave it on the same picture for only an hour?

This got me thinking, one of the themes that LG provides is a view through a window of a sunset over a pool/beach. It's actually a video, that last about 1 minute, and then it repeats. I guess LG though that wouldn't cause image retention.

I'd be happy just have the rotation delay between pictures be longer, say 10 minutes or so. Is there any way to do that? If my wallpaper TV is displaying a nice Monet painting, I want to be able to look at it for more than the 20 seconds the gallery is leaving it up for :)

My gallery I believe requires you to put .jpg files onto a usb stick (your own pictures) for it to cycle through. Don’t be tempted just to put one on there and leave it on that one image.
I'll try that. Seeing as one of the themes (mentioned above) is a short movie, any idea what movie formats are supported?

Thanks!

sagaris99

I thought the newer models were less prone to image retention, no? But probably better safe than sorry I guess. Is there a minimum time that I should be safe for, say if I leave it on the same picture for only an hour?

This got me thinking, one of the themes that LG provides is a view through a window of a sunset over a pool/beach. It's actually a video, that last about 1 minute, and then it repeats. I guess LG though that wouldn't cause image retention.

I'd be happy just have the rotation delay between pictures be longer, say 10 minutes or so. Is there any way to do that? If my wallpaper TV is displaying a nice Monet painting, I want to be able to look at it for more than the 20 seconds the gallery is leaving it up for :)

I'll try that. Seeing as one of the themes (mentioned above) is a short movie, any idea what movie formats are supported?

Thanks!
Less prone, but not immune - the usage patterns you’re describing are likely to be conducive of it.

If your plan was to have static wallpapers or a clock as I saw you mention in another thread, my overwhelmingly strong advice would be don’t do it.

There’s no fixed time - but the advice generally is to avoid viewing things on the TV with static elements (GTA V with the HUD, Sky News with the bar on the bottom, GMB with the logo in the corner) for extended periods of time, or regularly. Playing the odd game will be fine, but image retention is something that happens over time, collectively.

IR is simply accelerated ageing of pixels. Because it’s organic, the OLED panel will begin slowly dimming from day 1. Showing content with the same elements (let’s say the red bar on BBC news) requires the red pixels to age even quicker, thus, over time could present as noticeably darker than the rest of the screen.

The ‘video’ of the sea view or rainy day are nice, but the intention is that they are not to be left on all the time. Have guests around, want to show off the TV and create an atmosphere? Fine. Want to leave it on all day like a picture frame? Don’t. OLED TVs are not designed to be used that way.

FutureShark

Is it advisable to leave the gallery app going for a length of time, say hours at a time?
My C8 is coming soon and I love the idea of just leaving the gallery on when not watching any shows or films, but wanted to check that by doing so I won't be on the path to self destruction.

BarryMTL

Novice Member

Two questions:

Thanks!
I just bought a OLED65C9PUA and I see the gallery app at the bottom of the screen when I press the Home button on the remote. The TV is connected to my wifi network, YouTube works. When I hover the pointer over the gallery app I see all the folders, such as Landmarks and Cool Summer, but when I press the OK button on the remote all I get is a black screen. Is there something else I need to do before accessing the built in art gallery?

Top Bottom