Theiving can take place when you least expect it

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by la gran siete, Mar 15, 2006.

1. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Bloke had his wallet stolen at the my lovcal David Lloyd gym last week. He lost all his cards 400 euros and £ 175:eek: . Apparently he was in the changing room and had left his wallet tin the locker , went a few yard away to fdry his hair and his wallet went.It was crowded at the time which I guess would be time scumbags strike.I was amazed because the gym is a very civilised centre and the people on the whole appear friendly. Just shows one can never be blase or complacent. I very seldom carry large amounts of cash around with me.
    I stupidly suggested to the head honcho installing a ctv camera system. How assinine is that?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,009
    Should never leave your wallet unattended really.

3. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    its worth pointing out to him that alot of insurers wont insure a property WITHOUT cctv if it has a high volume of customers/staff

obviously having cctv inside the locker room breaches privacy so it would have to be outside the locker room which would help but not very much

MJN, bit difficult when your at a gym ;) tho personally i never carry more than £10 cash anyway

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,009
    I never carry more than about £30 in my wallet, and there's no problem at my gym....well it is a Kick Boxing gym :thumbsup: The punishment of getting caught would be a severe beating!

5. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    agreed but just sometimes its easy to feel blase.One likes to feel one can trust people sometimes and to be fair most of the mebership would not do such a thing. Then again cant think many would carry such an amount of wonga around:rolleyes:
    I felt sorry for the poor bloke who was distraufght mainly because it was part of his holiday spending money:(

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    there would be kiddie issues as well

7. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    I f I spotted someone trying that on I would most certainly have a go, but when I go in early hours there are few members so spotting any antisocial activity is easy thgerefore the scumbags are less likely to strike. When its crowded peolle are just milling around concerned only with getting cahnged showering and getting out.They would not be so aware of whats around them.
    This guy must have been watched awhile before the strike

8. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    LGS it really is time to take of those rose tinted glasses. How do you know what an anti social person looks like, or in this case a thief?????
    They would hardly be wearing a black and white striped jumper and a mask over their face would they.

The fact that is was inside that particular Gym chain means the thief has a fair bit of disposable income and probably looks just like the rest of the members.

The odds are the thief took a few seconds opportunity and casually carried on with what he was doing after lifting the wallet. If the wallet was on show in an open locker then the victim was a tad foolish.

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    More than a tad foolish I would say but then how many of us can truthfully say we havent done something daft. I lost £230 under a tractor mower once . I was fortunate because I was able to retrieve all the numbers and got a chq refund from the bank of England.
    What I meant Mylo was that I like to think that if I spotted someone trying that on some hapless victim that I would take some sort of action.
    Of course such people would try to blend in to the general surroundings but it does take a certain type of mentality to do that or even attempt it.I'm not thick:rolleyes: The chances of being caught out would seem quite high but maybe the thief knows different.

10. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I was suprised to hear recently that there has been a spate of lockers broken into and wallets and car keys removed at my local gym. subsequently peoples cars have been removed from the carpark:eek:

It just suprised me because you expect thieves of this type to be far to pikey to belong to a gym with a membership fee has high as mine:(

But I guess one Car boosted a month more than pays your membership fee!

11. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    But the bag over his shoulder marked SWAG and kosh in his hand always gives him away to me!:D

12. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,483
    Actually, a car park at a gym is the perfect place for crooks. many wealthy people go to gyms, and leave their mobiles/laptops even wallets in their car!

Gyms are currently a big hotspot for thefts so i wouldnt be leaving anything in your car, not even in the boot!

EDIT: oh and stealther, they dont have to belong to the club to thieve from it

13. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Precisely what I thought. these guys obviously strike where/when you least expect it.I am usually quiet careful except sometimes I dont lock my car door because I reckon no one would want to steal it anyway but then i never keep any valuables in it except on one occasion when I parked in a wooded area next to a stable and went to check some horses. When I got back my wifes handbag had gone- fortunately there was no money in it just a manky old mobile phone and bank cards which we quickly cancelled.

14. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    What do you drive a skoda?...I know about poeple not putting the alarm on there car, but locking the dorr is a different matter..

15. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The foldaway extendable hook that is used by dippers and bagremovers amazes me. One minute you are sitting having coffee in a cafe, the next your handbag has been slid away from you by someone 8 feet away with a gadget that then folds into their pocket. :mad:

16. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    some peple will never learn...I mean thats an open invitation!! :D :rotfl: :eek:

17. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,530
    Reminds me of a Seinfeld scit along the lines of: When on the beach, people tuck their wallets into a shoe when they fancy a dip, thieves will never look there!

18. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Just a touch of complacency thats all:D