1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TheatreTek shipping very quick

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Jan 23, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my Theatretek player today, I ordered it last week, Wed16 th jan and it arrived this morning. I opted for the USPS airmail shipping option at $14 dollars as it was cheapest.

Also didn't get any VAT or import charge for it. As they send it on a 14 day trial I beleive, it has a sticker on it saying free software sample, so it's exempt from import duties and VAT!!! How cool is that.

I won't get chance to use it until tomorrow I think, but can't wait as my WinDVD packed up and lost all sound. Hopefully I won't need it now as TT will be everything I need.

2. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Me too. It only took a few days to arrive.

cheers,
    Rob.

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Good news guys:)
    I told you not to worry about customs didn't I:D

Nick TT is the only player I use now (although I don't own any video based dvd's to try)
    I've been very impressed.

Hope all goes well for you both
    I'm just struggling a bit with sound on an XP partition with m-audio ap24/96 and TT but I've just downoaded a few things to try from Digital Connection.

Rob - saw your other post - glad you're confirming what I've seen. Perhaps we'll even see a small improvement when they finally approve the new filters:cool:

Cheers
    Alex

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    How did you manage that?
    From the immersive site, the cheapest option available is UPS Worldwide at $50.

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Yep - after a few emails with Tom Strade he was annoyed with the auto-pricing feature for worldwide stuff.
    He said to just pick the cheapest US Postal Service option and he'd sort it. That's just what he did. $14 shipping and no customs. Not too bad (although I'd be surprised if it actually cost that amount!)

6. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may have been $16 actually. it's just the standard US postal service and suprisingly fast.

I'm not decided about TT yet, I've tried all the suggestions on the immersive forum and still not getting and Digital pass-through to my amp.

I've also wrecked winDVD and had to re-install, but it not doesn't work saying it's an out of date version, and I havn't got the key program for it so I might have to write to them.

ATI 5.0 is playing quite well, althoguh get lip-sync probs if I pause it.

7. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Nick,
    Last night I noticed lipsync out with TT after pausing/ff/rew stuff. I think it's rare for TT, but happens to some users. Maybee this is Soundblaster Live related as TT most users have probably also bought m-audio 2496 cards.

Anyway, I thought to press Title to go to the title menu, then chose the play menu graphic. The movie continued from there it was with audio re-synced. Sure beats the time a mate and I were watching Starship Troopers with ATI5/ZoomPlayer and a 2/3 thru the film my father dropped by and put his head round the HT door and stright away, pointed out the lipsync issue I haddent even noticed! I had to stop the film and go and start with WinDVD because I didn't think I could resync it (brain not in gear over Christmas!).

cheers,
    Rob.

8. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Nick
    Have you done a full format/reinstall yet (using ghost to backup)?
    That's what I had to do and TT went from totally broken to the best player on there!

9. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alex,

When you say full re-install what does that entail? Full windows install? All the drivers etc?

It's a bit daunting!

Nick

10. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,403
    I'm a bit behind the times, but just to let you guys know that I've ordered a new MB, 1 gig athlon (to put my quiet fan on), radeon 32 VE (could only find it at Stak trading), TT player and 24/96 Rio sound card so I should be up there with the rest of you pretty soon.

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Yes, I thought it was a bit daunting as well.
    I wrote a list of everything I had, put it into the order that I should put it on, removed all the things from the list I could do without, got all the discs together that had all the most uptodate drivers on them, copied a couple of things to floppy like my resolution desktop icons and then started form scratch.
    With the safety of a ghost backup I wasn't too worried.

In the end - with a full format of my c: partition and then full reinstall (I knew a lot more second time around!) it took me an hour and a quarterto get everything back on.

It had never run so well! Power DVD showed no stutters and TT had lost it's mad pulsating framerate.

I guess the original install had a lot of different driver versions, filters, and trash on it!

Some things, like the dvd rom don't need redoing as they were done in firmware. It kept quiet and region-free!

I'll post my reinstall list in a couple of minutes.
    Just got some work to do!

12. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nick
    Sorry you are still having problems.
    I had lip sync problems until I replaced my SB Live with a M-Audio, haven't looked back since.
    I agree with Alex, format and total re-install will almost certainly sort things out. It's more time consuming than difficult.
    Good luck,

Ken

Be sure to save any important files. You might want to save you bookmarks from TT as well. Not sure that they will still work, but worth a try. I forgot to, oops!
    KP

13. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll have to give it a go. I think my PC is a bit messed up at the moment. What ahppens to all the dowloaded programs like powerstrip, etc? What does Ghost actully do, does it save things somewhere on the hard drive?

I'm a bit lost when it comes to PC's I'm afrraid!

Nick

14. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Nick,
    On your pc, do you have more than one volume partitioned on your hard disk? In other words do you have a D: drive as well as a C: drive in the Windows Explorer?

Summary; if you don't, then using Ghost would require quite a bit of technical effort. We can help, but I think it may be a bit scary and painfull!

Nerdy detail; you would have to partition or re-partition some hard disk space to store the ghost files and install setup kits (powerstrip, etc.) while you re-create the C:\ Windows drive from scratch. This may require some software called Partition Magic to non-destructuvely re-size your C: partition to be a bit smaller to make spare room for a D: drive volume. You may have some unpartitioned space available, with which you can use DOS based FDISK.

cheers,
    Rob.

15. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Yes an unpartitioned drive would be more difficult unless you happen to have a cd burner in the same pc!

Here is my list anyway
    THe notes were to myself and should not be taken as advice! (it's just there to give you an indication of what's necessary.

Ghost contents of C: to F: drive
    Use fdisk to Format C:
    Check partitions

Install in the following order
    WIN98SE - avoid tcp/ip, and swith off all options in 'custom install'
    Install chipset drivers
    Install intel ATA controller (automatically sets DMA)
    Direct X8.1 (on theaterTek disk)
    Video Drivers
    Sound Drivers
    Powerstrip - then set up 1280x720 (the desktop icons will set the refresh)
    DVD Region Killer
    TheaterTek + patch
    PowerDVD 4 XP
    DScaler
    Ghost

Change desktop to black
    Copy desktop icons from floppy
    Defragment C:

Thats it!
    Most of it is really straight forward!

THe things that this cleared up were:
    Multiple video drivers
    Drivers from change of sound card
    Drivers for capture card (DScaler doesn't need them)
    Win DVD
    ATI 4
    DVD Genie
    Loads of powerstrip settings
    +lots more I'd imagine!

Have fun! - but don't break anything:D
    Alex

16. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 250 meg zip drive, It has a system backup utility, I assume this would do a similar job to Ghost? If I do a full backup to one or 2 disks, then save essentials to another disk I should be able to re format/install and then take the various things from disks and the ZIP drive. I want to stick with the newest Radeon and SB Live drivers I think.

I'll give it a go, but any advice you can post before about 6:00 wouldn't go amiiss.

Thanks for the help so far guys

Nick

17. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Nick
    A zip isn't going to be the same but it might do
    The thing with ghost is that you can recover with only a floppy working. To get stuff off your zip you're going to have to get windows back up and then you wouldn't be able to overwrite all the windows files.

Someone may know a workaround but I'll bow out!

18. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a reformat and re-install before, I'm confident it will be ok, it's just the downloaded drivers and software I need to save really. Powerstrip can easilly be re-set again I'd say.

I'll have a go and see what comes of it, if I mess up most stuff is just a free download away anyway.

I'll post my experiences tomorrow, but if it gets TT working with the sound It'll be worth it, and I can then go ahead and register it properly.

19. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    yes, the experience that you've gained so far is worth a lot more than the bytes on your HD!

20. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've done a reformat and re-install before, I'm confident it will be ok, it's just the downloaded drivers and software I need to save really. Powerstrip can easilly be re-set again I'd say.

I'll have a go and see what comes of it, if I mess up most stuff is just a free download away anyway.

I'll post my experiences tomorrow, but if it gets TT working with the sound It'll be worth it, and I can then go ahead and register it properly.

21. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

22. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

23. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nick
    You're talking to yourself, it's only a short step!
    Ken

24. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

25. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,760
    OK Nick, we heard you the first time :)

26. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think something went a bit wrong there! MMMMM, at least my reformatting went smoothly - NOT!

It wasn't too bad, apart from the internal modem which refused to install! I ended up using an old external one that semed to work fine and a bit faster if anything!

I found the problem with the sound, I had the AC-3 switched on in the SB live, I was sure it was off. It is now working with the old drivers, but I think I'll update to the most recent as I've read that the newer drivers really help with any remaining judder and hopefully DTS lip sync.

I have noticed a vast improvement on the pans, at the end of the second chapter in Hollow Man where it pans over the building to Kevin Bacons porshe on the freeway was really bad with ATI and WINDVD, not it's not perfect but a whole lot better, I suspect the majority of the judder is the film or transfere.

I'll have a good old play tonight and see what I find, I didn't get it back up and running until 12:00 and I started at 8:00!

Thanks for the help, it's a definite improvement and I think I'll register TT tonight!

Nick

27. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Good stuff Nick
    Hope all goes smoothly for you
    Post back your results

Regards
    Alex

28. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Alex,

I'll try new drivers for SB Live tonight. These are meant to make a fair bit of difference to playback (according to some on the immersive forum). The pq is great though already, so I'm definately keepiing it, and might even upgrade soundcard before long to the M-audio or whatever it is. I hear good things about it.

I have the new radeon driver too, **89 or something, there are supposed to be issues with the default video settings in TT and this, I may try the old ones 7075, I think, and see if it looks any better.

Apart from that I just need to get the background tasks down to the essential region killer and Powerstrip and I'll be ahppy.

Nick

29. Ken

Ken
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  30. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ken, I'll give it a go tonight.

I got the SB Live only because it was cheap, £25 I think. It does a job, but the sound is not as good as my stand alone players. Would the M-audio improve this?

I slept a lot better last night knowing I'd got DD and DTS, HTPC are definately not conducive to a good nights sleep!

Cheers

Nick