TheatreTek Player

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ken, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well, after a successful business trip to the USA, I have returned with a copy of the TT Player. Thanks to the curtisy of Tom Strade.
    I have not had much time with it yet, but here is my experience so far.

First I made sure there was no sign of the Ati drivers of any description, I then loaded recomended 7093 drivers, installed the player and ran a region 1 disc. I then tried a region 2 disc, no joy.
    It is neccessary to use DVD Genie, as the TT uses the windows region coding. Once Genie was set, both regions ran seamlessly.
    The TT passes DD, DTS & THX EX with no problems at all.
    I have yet to watch a movie more than a few minutes, as I have been setting up the Aspect ratios. Once set the TT detects the flags and sets the AR for both movie and menus, which is particularly nice when the menus are in 4:3.

YXY is not required (for my use anyway), as the image can be stretched, moved & positioned, independently for each AR, globally or per DVD.
    The only tricky one is Letterbox, as some discs are flagged as 4:3. New AR's can be created (ie. 2.35:1) and recalled at a click of a mouse. You need to save these AR's to the disc being set.
    All settings are remembered and will be set, each time that disc is played. It has a ccf file for Pronto, but I havn't got that far.
    The picture that I have seen so far is very impressive, it also does a very good job with video sourced discs, like Super Cop.
    It does not intercept PC Friendly as TT needs to be running to do so, got to work on that one.
    So far I have to give it a thumbs up.
    Well, must go and finish setting up. I also now have quite a lot of films to watch again. :) :)

Ken

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Nice one Ken!
    For some reason Immersive haven't got their act together on UK shipping. Who knows when it will arrive!
    It sounds good though.
    Can't wait!
    Alex

3. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Did you guys really pay 49 dollars for shipping TT? Its only a CD for goodness sake. Or have I been choosing the wrong option.
    I would order this but I am not paying that price for shipping. I can get DVD's from Canada with the shipping free of charge.

Darren

4. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    The website ordering is all a bit mad.
    I certainly didn't pay that much - Tom Strade - the man in charge was very frustrated by it all. After a few emails he's offered to send it with just a few dollars shipping marked as a free trial (which it is until you get the hardware key!).
    Hopefully it should be with me before christmas.

If you email them I'm sure he will do anything to help - his attitude has been first rate.

Regards
    Alex

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Rigman,

If you select the US postal service option, you can have economy parcel post for $16 ?

Probably means they strap it to a pigeon;)

Don't forget about customs duty and VAT, you can be sure the package will be all legal and marked with the correct value for customs.

If Immersive want to sell this to Europe, they should find someone in Europe as a distributer, to help with customs charges, and sell thousands more copies of TheaterTek.

Not many people will order from the USA to Europe, HTPC tweakers like you and me will, but the masses will use the software players that are easier to buy.

Just a thought.

Good luck Rigman,

Mark G.