1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theatretek not giving S/PDIF

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NickBull, Jan 25, 2002.

1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I installed the TT player and it looked good, unfortunately it didn't pass DD and DTS through my SB live. I was getting PCM though the digital output, but no DD/DTS.

Win DVD gives DD/DTS digital output ok!

Any ideas? I've tried updating my SB live drivers to the current ones to no avail.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Nick, I'm not sure what OS you are using, but I had no end of troiuble trying to get directshow DVD players (TT is one of these) to passthru DD and/or DTS with Windows 98. Like you I had no problem with WinDVD (PowerDVD also OK). I only started to get positive results when moving to Windows XP. Did you post a question on the TT forum?

Jeff

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jeff,

I'm using Win 98. If I have to upgrade to XP then it's starting to get quite expensive. Is it worth it with the extra benefits of the TT player?

I've also posted on the TT forum so I'll see what they say. I tried a few things on there from previous posts and just noticed something else to try when I get home.

Picture wise it looks very good, and It seems to have aleviated the motion blur I sometimes noticed.

Cheers

Nick

4. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nick
    Did you check the Spdiff box in configurations
    Ken

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Nick
    I don't thing you should NEED to upgrade to Xp as many, many people have the same setup as you running fine.

I don't have any specific advice as my win98 setup ran perfectly with TT once I'd installed the M-Audio Audiophile (never tried SBlive)

One tip might be to reinstall everything from a format - I'd played around so much with different players/drivers/etc that it helped my system no end.

I would think that it could be a filter conflict - windvd gave me the most conflict issues - it now doesn't live on my machine.

I'm sure the TT forum will give you the answers you require.

Hang on in there!
    Alex

6. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ken,

S/PDIF is checked in TT player, also digital out in the speaker set up in the SB mixer. It's all set as it worked for WinDVD.

I saw something on a thread saying that 5.1 speaker configuration needs to be set, even if using spdif out! I'll try that tonight as I'm only on 2 speaker mode at moment.

Thanks

Nick

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alex,

I've spotted a couple of things to do. I've messed up my WinDVD player anyway, so I will uninstall it, as I have the ATI player.

Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of this and then I'll be a happy bunny as the picture is great.

Nick

8. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nick
    TT is not happy co-existing with the ATI player because they both use ravisent filters. A patch was released to force TT to use the correct filters ftp://ftp.theatertek.com/TheaterTekPatch.EXE
    Check your version, if not 052 then download the patch.I would suggest un-installing ATI player and remove the ravisent folder in regedit/HLM/Software, uninstall ravisent from the TT folder in explorer, restart,re-install ravisent in TT folder, apply patch, restart.
    Also I had SB Live 5.1 player before my M-Audio, and for spdiff to work it had to be set to 4 speakers.
    Ken

9. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ken,

I'll give that a go when I egt home. I was getting the impression it might be the filters, I uninstalled the ati player yesterday, not sure how well i did it. I couldn't find the CD so just removed the program using the control panel.

I'm never quite sure how to get into the registry, is it easy to do?

I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of this.

Cheers

Nick

10. Ken

Ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nick
    Start/Run, type regedit, enter. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software, find the Ravisent folder and delete it.
    By the way are you using display drivers 7075 or 7093, as these are the correct ones to use.
    Ken

11. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Driver for the ATI? I think I have just got 7089 at the moment.

Thanks for the info though Ken, I think you will be a great help, I'll try everything and hopfully be wathing and hearing great stuff all weekend.

I'm holding off with the registration of TT until I get this sorted, but I'm confident I will.

Cheers

Nick